2023 Official Visit Weekend: January 13-15

Advertisement
He isn’t a clear cut 1 IMO which is what we need but obviously that isn’t happening until you know who is gone. I don’t even think he’d be a clear cut starter over Young on the outside, he appears pretty raw still but there are some good traits there. Just hard for me to get excited about any WR honestly without a new OC.

Bryant is a little more exciting, but he will also have much better options and is a west coast kid so I doubt that happens (unless a change is made).
Nothing wrong with Colbie Young taking the #1 WR spot. Everybody else can help improve the group. Or take #1 away from Young.

so wait, the board was just complaining about small wr's but now people are just "meh" with getting a a 6'5 deep thread in alford but salivating over 5'10 bryant?

i like bryant and hope we somehow get both but this dude alford has a connection here and wanted to attend a few years back, do we have any connection to bryant that i've missed?
If he wants to come here you take him. We don't have a room full of guys that would bury him on the depth chart. Size and Speed combo is nice. We are in no position to tell a player with his intangibles no right now.

Advertisement
Loop Trump GIF

We’re like a homeless man on the street corner turning down a free sandwich from someone. Beggars can’t be choosers, we have to take whatever we can get.

so wait, the board was just complaining about small wr's but now people are just "meh" with getting a a 6'5 deep thread in alford but salivating over 5'10 bryant?

i like bryant and hope we somehow get both but this dude alford has a connection here and wanted to attend a few years back, do we have any connection to bryant that i've missed?
It's the classic phallic/inferiority syndrome this board is plagued with. If recruit A doesn't pick Miami, it's a huge loss and the kid is without question going to be a 'problem' somewhere else. If recruit B picks Miami, he's a JAG and we 'should have pursued recruit A harder'.

My favorite newer schtick is when recruit A surfaces on our radar and gets called a JAG until he commits to another program and is suddenly the greatest recruit of all time.

Nothing wrong with Colbie Young taking the #1 WR spot. Everybody else can help improve the group. Or take #1 away from Young.
I’m not gonna use this as a chance to hate on Colbie but he didn’t do anything our last few games once people took notice of him

I think there’s a lot wrong with him being our #1

And to clarify I like the kid a lot, just don’t see #1 receiver in him at this point (realizing offensive issues of course)

Last edited:
Advertisement
I watch cuse a lot being from up here. He’s decent and he s a solid option. Gadsen was their best wr by far tho. Cuse threw it around a bit this year and way better than we did that’s for sure.

Not trashing the kid and hopefully he can upgrade the room. Maybe 'Cuse writers are testy following his departure, but not a glowing endorsement . . . "During his time with the Orange, Alford had 34 receptions for 681 yards and 4 TDs. Damien showed flashes of talent over three seasons, including a game-winning Touchdown catch at Virginia Tech in 2021. Unfortunately, he didn’t develop the consistency to become the team’s deep threat.''

The sentence I question is the final one.

Define "consistency" on a team that averages 17.6 receptions per game (228 QB completions over 13 games). In the 11 games in which he had a reception, he totaled 21 receptions, which is nearly 2 per game.

BUT...of those 2 receptions per game...they were CONSISTENTLY longer completions. Same with Oronde II.

Devaughn Cooper wasn't a consistent deep threat. Nor was Trebor Pena.

It was just Gadsden and Alford who were deep threats.

And for Syracuse, Cooper is graduating and Alford is transferring. So they've got Gadsden and Pena coming back at WR. If you thought Miami was in trouble at WR...it could be far, far worse.

Oronde Gadsden II:
1673466231670.png

Not trashing the kid and hopefully he can upgrade the room. Maybe 'Cuse writers are testy following his departure, but not a glowing endorsement . . . "During his time with the Orange, Alford had 34 receptions for 681 yards and 4 TDs. Damien showed flashes of talent over three seasons, including a game-winning Touchdown catch at Virginia Tech in 2021. Unfortunately, he didn’t develop the consistency to become the team’s deep threat.''
Let him battle it out with Ladson and may the most consistent one win. We need competition in that room bad.

Advertisement
Do we have any other even hints of people (doesnt have to be WR) who can be potential visitors for this weekend??

Knowing target numbers would be helpful here. I get what you are saying but the data is incomplete to confirm that. Also, a lack of targets could also signify a lack of ability to separate.

Sure. But Syracuse still didn't throw it a ton. You are only talking about an extra 143 incompletions total for the whole season, so that's another 11 per game for the whole team across 13 games. Assuming standard distribution across all targets (consistent with the distribution of completions), that means the QB threw to Alford one other time per game.

Without knowing more about incompletions and drops, it's impossible to tell, though.

Advertisement
Has Frank Ladsen consigned himself to meh status or is he going to actually try and fulfill his potential?

Take a look.

Basically HALF of all the receptions went to Oronde II or the running back.

View attachment 224243

I can only remember seeing one Syracuse game this season, but it seems like Alford was underutilized as the 3rd WR in a system that leaned heavily on the run, throwing the ball up to Gadsden, and checking down frequently to the RBs or Pena as the underneath WR.

Questions will be why was he underutilized, and if given a bigger share how much more productive can he be? But he definitely fits the profile of one of the biggest needs on this team. (X WR). He had a slightly more productive 2022 than Ladson.

This take isn't lighting my hair on fire, but Alford definitely seems like a take and a guy on the upswing who at minimum can contribute over many of the WRs we have on the roster.

I can only remember seeing one Syracuse game this season, but it seems like Alford was underutilized as the 3rd WR in a system that leaned heavily on the run, throwing the ball up to Gadsden, and checking down frequently to the RBs or Pena as the underneath WR.

Questions will be why was he underutilized, and if given a bigger share how much more productive can he be? But he definitely fits the profile of one of the biggest needs on this team. (X WR). He had a slightly more productive 2022 than Ladson.

This take isn't lighting my hair on fire, but Alford definitely seems like a take and a guy on the upswing who at minimum can contribute over many of the WRs we have on the roster.

Agree completely. Plus, he has 2 years to play.

Advertisement
Back