2023 Official Visit Weekend: January 13-15

Interesting... Do we know why he was targeted so sparingly?

Oronde Gadsden's son got the lion's share of the catches last year (over 60).

Based on the consistent "1 reception games" at the outset, and then larger numbers at the end, it seems like he may have been used situationally early, and then gained everyone's confidence later.

I certanly can't bull**** and claim I watched Syracuse games....

Advertisement
Rambo had 40 catches and 700 yds his soph year. He looked like a kid that was going to be a monster but Riley over recruited him with more talent. There was at least some history with Rambo putting up numbers.

Now I still say we get this kid cause we do know what we have at WR at this moment isn’t gonna work. Just pointing out that the statement doesn’t apply here. It sort of applies to Bryant.
rambo also played in a lincoln riley offense and had jalen hurts as his qb

so there's plenty of context there

not saying this kid is going to be rambo but I am saying he'll be on a better offense (with our improved OL and TVD) than he was at syracuse and could surprise people

not saying this kid is going to be rambo but I am saying he'll be on a better offense (with our improved OL and TVD) than he was at syracuse and could surprise people

Definitely a better QB (assuming TVD stays healthy).

Imagine what a pinpoint-capable QB can do with a couple of tall 6'5"-ish receivers on the outside, and some reliable slots and TEs in the middle.

I hope you are right with that last paragraph but we have nothing to actually believe that’s true.

Advertisement
Nah.

Take a look at this. He had one catch in the first three games...and then he had AT LEAST one catch in the next 10 games.

He consistently had at least one big play in every game in that 10-game stretch. You can see that 11 of his 20 catches went for 16 yards or greater, plus his second reception against Pitt is a 17 yarder and his second reception against Wake is a 14 yarder. That means that 65% of his catches went for 14 yards or more, against the same exact type of competition (ACC) that we play.

It's pretty much the definition of a talented kid who hasn't had enough reps.

View attachment 224242
Not for nothing, but it's also Syracuse we are talking about. They ranked 92nd in pass plays per game in the NCAA last year. Gadson is a legit WR and was their feature guy. Like you alluded too, give the kid an expanded role and he could be a breakout kind of guy.

And I respect Gogeta as much as anyone on this board. Unfortunately over a 4 year period the production has not matched the potential. We need proven dudes.

Over a 3 year period. He enrolled in 2020. Looks like he took a RS. Caught 13 passed for 249 and 2 TDs in 2021. Then 20 for 429 and 2 TDs in 2022.

We know Syracuse doesn't pass the ball much, so I'd love to know how many snaps he played and how often he was targeted the past two seasons. Simple answer may be he was underutilized by the coaches/offense.

prefer Bryant JR. We have been selective in not taking JAGs so far in the portal, I dont know if this guy will push anyone in that room. Bryant Jr is WR 1 the noment he steps on campus
This Bryant JR is the guy who I REALLY want, his film looks great and he's fast. But man lets not hold out any hope for Bryant bc we will get disappointed lol.

Advertisement
UGA just won another natty with no clear cut #1 at WR. I couldnt tell you who there WRs even were outside of McCoskey. lol.
We might just need to have a WR by committee for now until we can correct this huge mistake in 2024.

For the folks bringinig up Bryant Jr..he is a legit option or is this just CIS putting positive vibes in the air and hoping for the best? Why wouldnt he stay on the west coast?
Well, UGA just brought in 2 WRs from the portal, so even they need help. TE Brock Bowers obviously keyed the passing game, but they have at least 3 WRs better and more experienced than we have - Ladd McConkey, Marcus Rosemy-Jacksaint and speed threat Adonai Mitchell, who came back later after missing good bit of season with injury.
Hopefully get our group healthy and young guys develop. Still desperately in need of high-end talent infusion. Maybe Bryant strengthens the room, but the Syracuse kid doesn't do much for me. Rather see them spread out Skinner.

And I respect Gogeta as much as anyone on this board. Unfortunately over a 4 year period the production has not matched the potential. We need proven dudes.
We’re not going to get proven dudes. This is going to come down to evaluations. If he has traits they like and he’s amenable ( don’t forget from his perspective we’re a big risk), then go after him.

Over a 3 year period. He enrolled in 2020. Looks like he took a RS. Caught 13 passed for 249 and 2 TDs in 2021. Then 20 for 429 and 2 TDs in 2022.

We know Syracuse doesn't pass the ball much, so I'd love to know how many snaps he played and how often he was targeted the past two seasons. Simple answer may be he was underutilized by the coaches/offense.

Take a look.

Basically HALF of all the receptions went to Oronde II or the running back.

1673465432187.png

Advertisement
so wait, the board was just complaining about small wr's but now people are just "meh" with getting a a 6'5 deep thread in alford but salivating over 5'10 bryant?

i like bryant and hope we somehow get both but this dude alford has a connection here and wanted to attend a few years back, do we have any connection to bryant that i've missed?

That doesn't mean anything lol, why people fall in love with the H/W. Is he fast does he create space is he explosive and dynamic is what I want know. There are countless jags at that size

True.

However, I posted earlier (in this thread?) all of his 2022 single game stats, and 13 of his 20 receptions went for 14 yards or more. That's what caught my eye.

Obviously, the QB was looking for Oronde II or the running back most of the time, but when he found a guy downfield, this was the guy CONSISTENTLY.

I'd love to see TVD throw this guy the ball in some tight windows that shorter CBs can't defend.

True.

However, I posted earlier (in this thread?) all of his 2022 single game stats, and 13 of his 20 receptions went for 14 yards or more. That's what caught my eye.

Obviously, the QB was looking for Oronde II or the running back most of the time, but when he found a guy downfield, this was the guy CONSISTENTLY.

I'd love to see TVD throw this guy the ball in some tight windows that shorter CBs can't defend.
I mean we need any ody for X....if he decent and there is no one in the portal may have to take a shot.

Advertisement
That doesn't mean anything lol, why people fall in love with the H/W. Is he fast does he create space is he explosive and dynamic is what I want know. There are countless jags at that size
clearly it's not all about size

but tell that to ppl whining about size at DT

also this guys stats show he's a legit deep threat and has nearly twice the ypc that bryant jr does, the other name people really want for comparison sake

Not trashing the kid and hopefully he can upgrade the room. Maybe 'Cuse writers are testy following his departure, but not a glowing endorsement . . . "During his time with the Orange, Alford had 34 receptions for 681 yards and 4 TDs. Damien showed flashes of talent over three seasons, including a game-winning Touchdown catch at Virginia Tech in 2021. Unfortunately, he didn’t develop the consistency to become the team’s deep threat.''

Advertisement
Back