2025 DJ Pickett 5* Safety from Zephyrhills

Don’t take it so literal, Miami was fully prepared to sign 6 five stars this past year (Stone, JJ, Ellis being the others) D is saying in the sense that UM isn’t going to sign 10 five stars yearly. Which is fine, no one does. UM will be in the hunt for top 3-5 class every year from here on out if things go right this season.

Advertisement
Don’t take it so literal, Miami was fully prepared to sign 6 five stars this past year (Stone, JJ, Ellis being the others) D is saying in the sense that UM isn’t going to sign 10 five stars yearly. Which is fine, no one does. UM will be in the hunt for top 3-5 class every year from here on out if things go right this season.
Yea, I know he took it to the extreme to avoid answering the question. His point was that we have to pick and choose and can't go all out at every position.

Agreed, which is why Nickel is nice, but getting that Elite LB & Elite DB we haven’t gotten in a long time is far more important.

Alabama has elite players all over the place.

Give them some of their past QB's, it changes how teams have to play them. Add in an elite WR, they didn't seem to have one, and this season Saban goes out on top.

Teams are a sum of all their parts, but a mediocre QB can negate the entire offense. It also puts pressure on the other teams offense to keep up which in turn helps your defense out.

Alabama has elite players all over the place.

Give them some of their past QB's, it changes how teams have to play them. Add in an elite WR, they didn't seem to have one, and this season Saban goes out on top.

Teams are a sum of all their parts, but a mediocre QB can negate the entire offense. It also puts pressure on the other teams offense to keep up which in turn helps your defense out.
In 2021 Nick had the heisman winner at QB, two 1st round WRs with another 3 NFL WRs, couldn’t win.
2022 he had the heisman winning QB (1:1 in draft) and 1st round RB & didn’t win again.

Bama’s “issue” (which I find funny to even say) is that they lost their physicality up front on offense. Everyone praised Saban for changing his philosophy, yet it ended up being his downfall at end of tenure. OT vs Michigan, 1st and goal and Bama had 3 carries for -4 yards.

Makes me smile knowing the last play in Saban’s career is not trusting his OL to get him 2.5 yards the old fashion way, and he runs a QB draw out of shotgun.

Advertisement
In 2021 Nick had the heisman winner at QB, two 1st round WRs with another 3 NFL WRs, couldn’t win.
2022 he had the heisman winning QB (1:1 in draft) and 1st round RB & didn’t win again.

Bama’s “issue” (which I find funny to even say) is that they lost their physicality up front on offense. Everyone praised Saban for changing his philosophy, yet it ended up being his downfall at end of tenure. OT vs Michigan, 1st and goal and Bama had 3 carries for -4 yards.

Makes me smile knowing the last play in Saban’s career is not trusting his OL to get him 2.5 yards the old fashion way, and he runs a QB draw out of shotgun.

You had stated that getting Nickel (or presumably some other highly regarded QB) is nice, but that some elite LB or DB is far more important.

I disagree and thus my post about Bama. Bama, while still elite and with talent most would crave, they did lose some juice in recent years. Their top 3 QB's in their run though in that game and they're not even in OT with Michigan, they're flat out beating them. Michigan this past year is far and away the least impressive NC winner I can remember.

QB is the most important spot on any team. It doesn't mean you can have crap everywhere else, but nobody is picking an elite LB or DB over an elite QB. It's paid the most for a reason as you can be very good everywhere else, but slack there it affects everything.

It's been forever since we had an elite QB. Perhaps the new transfer is that, they're paying like he is. Nickel down the road, maybe as well. I want elite guys all over the place, but I'm starting at QB as my number one.

Black Ink Crew Laughing GIF by VH1

You had stated that getting Nickel (or presumably some other highly regarded QB) is nice, but that some elite LB or DB is far more important.

I disagree and thus my post about Bama. Bama, while still elite and with talent most would crave, they did lose some juice in recent years. Their top 3 QB's in their run though in that game and they're not even in OT with Michigan, they're flat out beating them. Michigan this past year is far and away the least impressive NC winner I can remember.

QB is the most important spot on any team. It doesn't mean you can have crap everywhere else, but nobody is picking an elite LB or DB over an elite QB. It's paid the most for a reason as you can be very good everywhere else, but slack there it affects everything.

It's been forever since we had an elite QB. Perhaps the new transfer is that, they're paying like he is. Nickel down the road, maybe as well. I want elite guys all over the place, but I'm starting at QB as my number one.
In the sense that Nickel isn’t a once every 5 year prospect. He’s good but yes I do believe getting Walker & Pickett are far more important. The chances of elite LBs/DBs panning out is far higher than QB. Of course you need a QB but let’s not act like we have HS Trevor Lawerence committed…

Could Nickel be an NFL player? Yes, day 1/2? Eh

Pickett & Walker could be top 10 picks.

In the sense that Nickel isn’t a once every 5 year prospect. He’s good but yes I do believe getting Walker & Pickett are far more important. The chances of elite LBs/DBs panning out is far higher than QB. Of course you need a QB but let’s not act like we have HS Trevor Lawerence committed…

Agreed

For every Trevor Lawrence there's 2 Cade Klubniks.

Go back and look at the list of 5* QBs in high school over the past decade. Most of the names you won't even recognize.

Advertisement

I get what you mean. This is a separate tangent but the NFL draft is great and all but dammit can I just get a great college QB? Granted these days I think the NFL has evolved to the point where QBs with different styles can be successful but forget the NFL. Just gimme a kid that can win at this level

Rant over. Not meant at you 😂

I get what you mean. This is a separate tangent but the NFL draft is great and all but dammit can I just get a great college QB? Granted these days I think the NFL has evolved to the point where QBs with different styles can be successful but forget the NFL. Just gimme a kid that can win at this level

Rant over. Not meant at you 😂
I agree with you, finding a kid that’s a fit for you at QB is far more important than NFL skill set.

I was more just showing overall talent. Don’t get me wrong I’ll happily sign up for Nickel, think he’s a top 150 overall prospect. I just think it’s easier to find another Nickel than it is a Pickett or Walker (two positions we haven’t signed top 10 prospects at in almost two decades).

I agree with you, finding a kid that’s a fit for you at QB is far more important than NFL skill set.

I was more just showing overall talent. Don’t get me wrong I’ll happily sign up for Nickel, think he’s a top 150 overall prospect. I just think it’s easier to find another Nickel than it is a Pickett or Walker (two positions we haven’t signed top 10 prospects at in almost two decades).
Oh yeah no doubt what you said was spot on. I just took a tangent there haha

Really excited to see Nickel this season for obvious reasons. Kid seemed really polished for a junior

Jordan Travis is the perfect example of what you guys are talking about. So was King for us. Both transfers interestingly.. I hope and believe Ward will be amazing for us regardless of how his pro career goes. Just secure the football!

Advertisement
I was calling Howard overrated all the way back to the Caneinsider days. Which went over like a wet fart on the board. Tracy had been coached very well and had great technique for a HS cb but it was obvious he had questionable explosion / make up speed. I never saw the five star ranking with him. This kid is a completely different type of athlete.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back