2025 DJ Pickett 5* Safety from Zephyrhills

Advertisement
Agreed, which is why Nickel is nice, but getting that Elite LB & Elite DB we haven’t gotten in a long time is far more important.
The problem with that is that you need an elite defense overall, not just a few players. It's much more likely to have a QB carry you to some form of success. I'm not sure who we are kidding but winning the ACC has to be the goal we aren't close to competing for an actual championship.

No, he looks like the goods but so did Tracy Howard. HS isn’t Power 5 football. Who really knows how it will translate?
Since now we have the whole outlook. The minute you saw TH in college u knew immediately speed would be a problem. And the fact Saban did not challenge for him was a red flag. If TH had speed and quicker he would be one of the best but he wasn’t a 5 star. He was a 4 star for sure, and they didn’t drop him cause he commited to UM like those tin foil fans say.

Yeah there was this narrative that he wasn’t a big prospect

His high school tape is **** good
That team made Dorsey though dead ***. Ward is leaps better but cfb as a whole is a lot better now. That Miami team was like a future team going into the Stone Age to play vs other countries. It was like the dream team vs all those teams way behind them. Now it’s different

Advertisement
That team made Dorsey though dead ***. Ward is leaps better but cfb as a whole is a lot better now. That Miami team was like a future team going into the Stone Age to play vs other countries. It was like the dream team vs all those teams way behind them. Now it’s different
Just saying if you watch Dorsey’s tape it’s not a surprise he ended up successful. Putting him on that Canes team made him a legend though yeah. But he wasn’t some no name QB with no skills. He was a 4 star dropping dimes all over high highlights

FROM UNDER CENTER TOO 😮

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XADVaiKWvgA

The trend is having the top defense.
That's always been the case. So, I don't know if you can call it a trend.

The trend now seems to be how do you assess it. Points/game, or total yard/game used to be reliable metrics. Now with the changes in offense, it's how often you get off the field without giving up points (or something to that effect).

That's always been the case. So, I don't know if you can call it a trend.

The trend now seems to be how do you assess it. Points/game, or total yard/game used to be reliable metrics. Now with the changes in offense, it's how often you get off the field without giving up points (or something to that effect).
Points allowed will always be the most important defensive stat. What we have never seen is a good defense carry anything. The trend has been non NFL caliber QBs carried by elite defenses.

Advertisement
Points allowed will always be the most important defensive stat. What we have never seen is a good defense carry anything. The trend has been non NFL caliber QBs carried by elite defenses.
The point is that elite defenses has always been the ticket for championships.

As the game becomes more wide open and scoring trends increase, it's difficult to rely solely on the old metrics.

points.png

Coley did have those games against FSU…but yeah still one of the more baffling guys that never lived up to the hype
In last 20 seasons, has any team in America had worse luck (Injuries, development, bad choices) than UM with freshman superstars on offense?

Ryan Moore, Javarris, Coop, Shields, Aldarius, LaRon Byrd, Coley, AR, Chaney.

Been like 6/7 freshman All-Americans that never got better (some worse). It’s been a curse

The problem with that is that you need an elite defense overall, not just a few players. It's much more likely to have a QB carry you to some form of success. I'm not sure who we are kidding but winning the ACC has to be the goal we aren't close to competing for an actual championship.
100% gotta stack class after class. The teams we want to compete with have had UMs recent recruiting success 7/8 years in a row. Their reserves are what we want as starters.

Advertisement
Just saying if you watch Dorsey’s tape it’s not a surprise he ended up successful. Putting him on that Canes team made him a legend though yeah. But he wasn’t some no name QB with no skills. He was a 4 star dropping dimes all over high highlights

FROM UNDER CENTER TOO 😮

Oh yea for sure he went to the right place at the right time. Everyone made everyone better. He reminds me off the qb that started bamas dynasty

Can't agree on LB and really DB. QB is the most important position in football. Anyone saying differently doesn't understand the game of this century IMO. You used to be able to lean on a running game and defense. Now its more of an outlier, and not the normal. UGA starting winning NC's when their offense caught up to the defense. Alabama and Saban changed their approach as his old way became too hard to win NC's.

Frist of all the goal should be to get elite talent all over the board. That is what the Playoff and National Champions do. They stack it all over.

The notion though that Stetson Bennett wasn't a world beater in college is grossly selling him short.

He excelled in the playoffs, and when UGA needed him most. HE is a sawed off little guy that was still drafted even due to his physical limitations, just because of how much of a playmaker he was.

Mac Jones was a 1st round pick, and JJ McCarthy looks to be a first round pick also(I'm not the biggest McCarthy fan).

In last years playoffs though Stetson Bennett actually outdueled C.J. Stroud in that game coming down the stretch. He was magnificent in the 2nd half, and UGA would have lost if it wasn't for all the plays Stetson Made. He threw for 398 yards, and had 4 total TD's, and they needed every single bit of it to knock off Ohio State.

Stetson Bennett helped lead a program that hadn't won a NC in 40 years to back to back titles. He leaves, and they don't make the playoffs. If Stetson had been QB for UGA this past season, I think they would have won it again.

He led the SEC in 2022 with 37 total touchdowns. He threw for over 4,000 yards.

Anyways rant over, You need to be really good across the board, but we can't sell QB position short like that IMO.
Agree but I think the main reason UGA took a step back this year was their OC. Either way, football is an offensive game nowadays. You want to be elite on both sides of the ball but if you have to choose one, it’s offense now. Like you stated, the back to back UGA teams had all time talent but when it matter most, it was their offense that won them those chips.

Advertisement
In last 20 seasons, has any team in America had worse luck (Injuries, development, bad choices) than UM with freshman superstars on offense?

Ryan Moore, Javarris, Coop, Shields, Aldarius, LaRon Byrd, Coley, AR, Chaney.

Been like 6/7 freshman All-Americans that never got better (some worse). It’s been a curse
My man it’s devastating

How about Malcolm Lewis? Man that kid was gonna be a star here and then that horrific injury

My man it’s devastating

How about Malcolm Lewis? Man that kid was gonna be a star here and then that horrific injury
I hated Al Golden for trying to make Miami PSU South but I’ll always respect him for how he handled that moment. You could tell he really cared, refreshing to see coaches react that way.

I hated Al Golden for trying to make Miami PSU South but I’ll always respect him for how he handled that moment. You could tell he really cared, refreshing to see coaches react that way.
No doubt Golden had a lot I disliked eventually but I also remember him after when beat GT in that thriller game Mike James won it in OT…pretty sure that was the details

But his interview afterwards you could tell how much he loved the team

Advertisement
Back