By the Numbers so far

Advertisement
You guys do realize that other teams play cup cakes too right????

most teams don't have 2 road night games in the first 4 games.

Not according the the NCAA. Total defence is a yards per game stat.

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/22

The link gives you the official NCAA Total Defence stat. Miami is 14th in total defence. Just a fact. And the obvious reason that the NCAA uses ypg as the official stat is to make the stat comparable between teams irrespective of the number of games played.

Last edited:

Exactly. Not only that, but one of our "cupcakes" (Arky State) is considered to have a high-powered offense...so much so that many on here were pointing out how potent their offense is before we played them, and how they will likely have 500-600 yds against us and we'll have to beat them in a shootout. So while they aren't a top team, they sure are better than many of the cupcakes that most other teams have also faced this year.

Exactly. Not only that, but one of our "cupcakes" (Arky State) is considered to have a high-powered offense...so much so that many on here were pointing out how potent their offense is before we played them, and how they will likely have 500-600 yds against us and we'll have to beat them in a shootout. So while they aren't a top team, they sure are better than many of the cupcakes that most other teams have also faced this year.

You parrot something long enough, people will start to believe it.

Ark state now is considered a good opponent?

They are ranked a mighty #85 in the country in total offense. Real high powered.

Advertisement

They are ranked a mighty #85 in the country in total offense. Real high powered.

No, not a good opponent. Try reading a little better. They aren't a good team, but they are still a team that blows out many of the other cupcakes that other teams have faced this year (and are included in their statistical standings). Before the game, the whiners were saying how we'd have to win in a shootout because they have a potent offense. The narrative constantly changes with them to suit their purposes.

god **** the point isn't that Ark. st. is good its that every other team in FBS has played at least two teams that are as bad or worse than Ark. St

Defense:

#46 in Scoring defense
#44 in total defense
#14 in yards/game
#52 in rush yard/game
#15 in pass yards/game
#54 in INTs
#28 in sacks
#31 in defensive efficiency

Offense:

#41 in total offense
#64 in PPG
#126 in 3rd down conversion (not a typo)
#66 in red zone conversions
#90 in TOP/g
#73 in offensive effeciency

So basically almost half way through we are an average defense and a below average offense, by the numbers. Will update this thread after each game here on out.

Thank God for Florida A&M, Arkansas State, and that basketball school, Duke.

Beat me to it. Imagine if we had faced a couple of top 25 teams.

Advertisement
LatviaCanes is having a hard time getting a hold of some good trolling material here in CIS.

You've tried, in this very thread, to interject your thoughts (ie, troll attempts) four times.

Go back to the Wez, you're more effective there.

No, not a good opponent. Try reading a little better. They aren't a good team, but they are still a team that blows out many of the other cupcakes that other teams have faced this year (and are included in their statistical standings). Before the game, the whiners were saying how we'd have to win in a shootout because they have a potent offense. The narrative constantly changes with them to suit their purposes.

The point is you are trying to prop up Ark State to somehow a "worthy opponent" classification by saying they are a high powered offense, when in reality, their stats say otherwise. As to your comment about the whiners saying that we had to win in a shootout, that's a red herring. If anyone said that, it was in the very very small minority because frankly, most people knew it was a garbage opponent.

god **** the point isn't that Ark. st. is good its that every other team in FBS has played at least two teams that are as bad or worse than Ark. St

Agree with you. That really wasn't related to my point.

LOLOL at the slurpers arguing semantics here. It is abundantly clear in the OP that we are 14th in yards/game. If you want to call that total d, fine. It doesn't change the number. It's a good number. It's the ONLY good number on defense, but it's a good number. Be happy about it, whatever label you want to call it.

I have a feeling when the season ends and we are at best middle of the pack in most defensive categories it's not going matter what official name we give to "yards per game". Jesus Christ what a way to detract from the thread.

can someone remind me what our rankings were 5 games into last season?

none of this matters now.

Advertisement
can someone remind me what our rankings were 5 games into last season?

none of this matters now.

I think it speaks volumes about why we are an unranked 3-2 squad that has fans extremely restless. I also think it's a pretty good indicator that we are a below average team and people should stop using a win against DUKE to argue that this season is one to be proud of.

I also think that it makes people who said stuff like "well if Duke didnt fumble we would have won" and "artie is an athlete not a DB" and on and on look like complete idiots. We aren't losing games b/c of a few plays here and there. We are losing b/c we aren't very good at anything as a team. That's on the coaches.

The point is you are trying to prop up Ark State to somehow a "worthy opponent" classification by saying they are a high powered offense, when in reality, their stats say otherwise. As to your comment about the whiners saying that we had to win in a shootout, that's a red herring. If anyone said that, it was in the very very small minority because frankly, most people knew it was a garbage opponent.

Agree with you. That really wasn't related to my point.

No, not trying to prop up Ark State. Maybe you should learn to read better. What I am doing is saying that those deriding our defensive stats thus far for the year are pointing to Arky State as a "cupcake" as if it shouldn't count. However, that's pretty stupid given that pretty much every single team above us have also played as many or more "cupcakes" AND as far as cupcakes go, Arky State is better than the VAST majority of those other teams have played. So if our stats aren't valid because we played "cupcakes" such as Arky State, then most other team's stats are even less valid.

As for the "very, very small minority" you might want to go back and read all the threads from before that game. There was non-stop commenting about how we are going to have a lot of trouble with their offense because they are a good offense and will likely get over 500 yards against us, and we'll have to win in a shootout.

Advertisement
I wish we could play the UL game again.

Agreed. Easily the worst scheduling draw in years. I can't believe anybody wanted to open with them. They were allowed to stay amped throughout the offseason for another chance to punch us in the mouth again. Fury of Anti Revenge at home early in the season is incredibly powerful. If we played them now the energy and motivation would be more balanced, and obviously Kaaya more experienced and not as tense and tentative as he played that night. Somehow he lost 30% arm strength in that game.

I don't know why anyone is doubting or condemning the stats. Lots of flailing guesswork. I've used stats via Excel and for betting purposes for more than two decades. At this point in the season they start to gain usefulness, especially in our case after 5 games. I hoped for 5.2 to 5.7 yards per play allowed and we are now roughly 4.25. That's a very positive sign, although no doubt it will rise. When you aren't ranked in preseason the best case normal scenario is significant positive trends in the vital categories, like yards per play offensively and defensively, not some Auburn-type jump that only the ranting simpletons with no credibility would bother to care about.

As I posted after the Nebraska game, although it looked terrible those same 54 rushes would have gashed us for closer to 450 yards last season, not 350. As long as you understand that and have confidence the talent level will continue to uptick at defensive tackle and elsewhere, along with heightened aggressiveness, it's been a positive season, certainly above my expectation in terms of defensive improvement. We have a reasonable chance to finish the season allowing less than 5 yards per play. On offense we think too much and run too seldom.

I wish we could play the UL game again.

Agreed. Easily the worst scheduling draw in years. I can't believe anybody wanted to open with them. They were allowed to stay amped throughout the offseason for another chance to punch us in the mouth again. Fury of Anti Revenge at home early in the season is incredibly powerful. If we played them now the energy and motivation would be more balanced, and obviously Kaaya more experienced and not as tense and tentative as he played that night. Somehow he lost 30% arm strength in that game.

I don't know why anyone is doubting or condemning the stats. Lots of flailing guesswork. I've used stats via Excel and for betting purposes for more than two decades. At this point in the season they start to gain usefulness, especially in our case after 5 games. I hoped for 5.2 to 5.7 yards per play allowed and we are now roughly 4.25. That's a very positive sign, although no doubt it will rise. When you aren't ranked in preseason the best case normal scenario is significant positive trends in the vital categories, like yards per play offensively and defensively, not some Auburn-type jump that only the ranting simpletons with no credibility would bother to care about.

As I posted after the Nebraska game, although it looked terrible those same 54 rushes would have gashed us for closer to 450 yards last season, not 350. As long as you understand that and have confidence the talent level will continue to uptick at defensive tackle and elsewhere, along with heightened aggressiveness, it's been a positive season, certainly above my expectation in terms of defensive improvement. We have a reasonable chance to finish the season allowing less than 5 yards per play. On offense we think too much and run too seldom.

You guys are right. It would be much better to play against them later when they get their best players back from injury--Parker and Dyer. It would also be to UM's advantage to play them after they start gelling in Petrino's brand new system. After all, they were clearly better and more prepared the first game in this brand new offense and defense than they would be later in the season. Makes a ton of sense.

Double LULZ at your "they were allowed to stay amped over throughout the offseason for another chance to punch us in the mouth again" comment. Do you really believe that nonsense?

Advertisement
Back