By the Numbers so far

Our schedule ain't the SEC, but it's not as bad as some like to make it seem. Louisville and Nebraska on the road are legit, Arkansas State is really good mid-major, and Duke was undefeated and won the division last year.

So, I can see us having a top 30 schedule through the first 5 games. Not a gauntlet, but not cupcakes either.

Sagarins Strength of Schedule is 32nd. Another site has us at 14th.

Please stop embarrassing yourself by pointing to the difficulty of our schedule. We've played two decent teams and got smoked by both.

This sloppy win against a bad Duke team has some of you guys wonky.

People are going way overboard with the nonsense about us getting "smoked" by Nebraska. The had a grand total of 10 points more than us. A whopping 21 yards of offense more than we did. Three more first downs than we did (27 to 24). That was far from getting "smoked."

Advertisement
Our schedule ain't the SEC, but it's not as bad as some like to make it seem. Louisville and Nebraska on the road are legit, Arkansas State is really good mid-major, and Duke was undefeated and won the division last year.

So, I can see us having a top 30 schedule through the first 5 games. Not a gauntlet, but not cupcakes either.

Please stop embarrassing yourself by pointing to the difficulty of our schedule. We've played two decent teams and got smoked by both.

People are going way overboard with the nonsense about us getting "smoked" by Nebraska. The had a grand total of 10 points more than us. A whopping 21 yards of offense more than we did. Three more first downs than we did (27 to 24). That was far from getting "smoked."

They beat us by 17 unless you want to count our last second TD when we were calling timeouts to make the game look closer so guys like you would carry on about how close it was.

They ran it down our throat at will, and that is the definition of smoking someone.

They beat us by 17 unless you want to count our last second TD when we were calling timeouts to make the game look closer so guys like you would carry on about how close it was.

They ran it down our throat at will, and that is the definition of smoking someone.

..and we passed it at will against them. Doesn't matter where the yards come from, we had only 21 fewer than they did. We were in the game until the end. Far from being "smoked."

..and we passed it at will against them. Doesn't matter where the yards come from, we had only 21 fewer than they did. We were in the game until the end. Far from being "smoked."
We were losing by 17 with a minute left. That's in it till the end to you?

Were you really pimping Duke as an undefeated team??? Elon, Troy, Kansas and Tulane. GTFOH, that is an embarrassingly easy schedule. Duke is a a bad football team. The fact we did not beat that team by 40 says more about us than it does them.

Louisville is mediocre and Nebraska is a mid-tier big 10 team. Neither is legit.

You continue to lower the bar and reduce expectations. You are an enabler and do not demand excellence. Fans like you are perfect little Donna/Blake robots.

Advertisement
Holy ****, now the narrative has become "we were nip and tuck with Nebraska" or "we were in the game the entire night" or "the game was actually closer than you think - look at the yards"?

Holy. Sheet.

The Real Numbers

#46 in Scoring Defense
#14 in Total Defense
#7 in Yards/play
#52 in Rushing Defense
#15 in Passing Defense
#66 in INTs/game
#45 in Sacks/game

#75 in Total Offense
#72 in Scoring Offense
#126 in 3rd Down Conversions
#66 in Red Zone Conversions
#90 in TOP

Again, I already listed yards per game in the OP. Total defense is total yards given up.

Advertisement
Total defense is a stat that denotes how many yards a team has given up.

Yards per game is the average yards per game.

Yards per play is a nice number until you realize we are 44th in 3rd down conversion against. The stats depict what we see: lots of long slow bleed drives against us.

Again, it's an average defense. It's not going to be a top ten D, or a top 30 D, but it's not going to be in the 90s either. Of course, to win a title you pretty much HAVE to have a top 20 defense, if not a top 10 D. Not good enough.

Offense? Completely disgraceful given we have a Heisman talent in the backfield.

were being compared against other teams who have played the same caliber of opponent. You insufferable ****

Defense:

#46 in Scoring defense
#44 in total defense
#14 in yards/game
#52 in rush yard/game
#15 in pass yards/game
#54 in INTs
#28 in sacks
#31 in defensive efficiency

Offense:

#41 in total offense
#64 in PPG
#126 in 3rd down conversion (not a typo)
#66 in red zone conversions
#90 in TOP/g
#73 in offensive effeciency

So basically almost half way through we are an average defense and a below average offense, by the numbers. Will update this thread after each game here on out.

Thank God for Florida A&M, Arkansas State, and that basketball school, Duke.

Yards per play is a nice number until you realize we are 44th in 3rd down conversion against. The stats depict what we see: lots of long slow bleed drives against us.

Again, it's an average defense. It's not going to be a top ten D, or a top 30 D, but it's not going to be in the 90s either. Of course, to win a title you pretty much HAVE to have a top 20 defense, if not a top 10 D. Not good enough.

Offense? Completely disgraceful given we have a Heisman talent in the backfield.

We are 14th in total D. Yards per game and total defense are directly correlated. The only reason we were ranked 44th on espn is because we have played an extra game.

A few things,

1. We have played 5 games. Not even half of them. It seems a little early to even care.

2. Of the 5 games, 2 of them were trash and should discount those statistics. We lost the other 2/3 (the only stat that really matters Ws/Ls) and Duke is a shell of the team we played last year. Even ignoring that part about the quality of Duke, we're 1-1 in the ACC. We got beaten bad by Nebraska and UL.

3. Here are the last three stats for the ACC as a comparison (http://www.canesinsight.com/threads...nut-shell-(update)?highlight=Scoring+Defense)).

In the end, anyone giving mad daps to these stats needs to have a valium and go to sleep for awhile.

Advertisement

We are 14th in total D. Yards per game and total defense are directly correlated. The only reason we were ranked 44th on espn is because we have played an extra game.

Kyle is right, you are wrong.

In what world would you think Total defense is amount of yards given up irregardless of games played?

In what world would you think Total defense is amount of yards given up irregardless of games played?

I'm simply going by the actual statistic of total defense, which is a total amount of yards given up for the season. In college ball, it is not the wisest stat to go by, which is why I listed SEVERAL others to be fair, INCLUDING YARDS PER GAME.

It is a fact that our total defense is #44 right now. Are there factors leading to that number, sure. That's why I posted all the other metrics as a better picture.

Again, the stat "total defense" as used at the highest levels of the sport denotes total number of yards given up. Yard per game is exactly what it says. Both were listed in the OP, as was scoring D, rush D, and on and on.

Last edited:
Goldenshowers doing his best to get the "blame the offense" train going.

Funniest part of the thread: showers talking about how missing AQM, Figs & Blue was huge blow for the defense while just ignoring Ryan Williams injury and Olsen's suspension(s).

Advertisement
Goldenshowers doing his best to get the "blame the offense" train going.

Funniest part of the thread: showers talking about how missing AQM, Figs & Blue was huge blow for the defense while just ignoring Ryan Williams injury and Olsen's suspension(s).

WTF are you talking about LOLOL where did I ever mention injuries? Or ANY of those players? Or blame the offense for the bad defense? Both the offense and the defense are bad. The offense is notably worse. Do you actually bother reading threads before you post?????? 19,000 posts in 3 years tells me you need to think before you type.

I'm simply going by the actual statistic of total defense, which is a total amount of yards given up for the season. In college ball, it is not the wisest stat to go by, which is why I listed SEVERAL others to be fair, INCLUDING YARDS PER GAME.

It is a fact that our total defense is #44 right now. Are there factors leading to that number, sure. That's why I posted all the other metrics as a better picture.

Again, the stat "total defense" as used at the highest levels of the sport denotes total number of yards given up. Yard per game is exactly what it says. Both were listed in the OP, as was scoring D, rush D, and on and on.

And again you are wrong about what the total defense metric is.

Just go to cfbstats or any other college stat site worth a **** and look around. You might learn something.

And to think were missing 2 starting linebackers on defense and aqm... Wow

Hey Joe, read who wrote this. It don't say Goldenshowers. Now go read my actual posts where I say the D isn't good enough and the offense is abysmal. Not once have I ever or will I ever say that if the offense was good the D would be good, b/c that's idiocy. They are both well below what they need to be, and both are indicative of a sub par ball team. for ***** sake man read the **** thread before talking nonsense.

And again you are wrong about what the total defense metric is.

Just go to cfbstats or any other college stat site worth a **** and look around. You might learn something.

LOLOL you aren't very bright are you? You are getting so bent out of shape b/c the technical term total defense is improperly used on college sites to denote yards/game. But even if that was unclear, IN THE ORIGINAL POST IT SHOWS BOTH NUMBERS SO WHO GIVES A ****? Would you feel better if I said we are 14th and total D and not yard/game? Would that make your opinion of the defense different? If so, How?

Advertisement
Back