Trending UP!

I feel what the Op is saying. but what you fail to realize is...... Golden is terrible at GAMEDAY coaching. Sure he did decent his first year when no one in the aCc knew his coaching strategy.

But now that its clear what type of coach he is there is no secret amongst other coaches that he coaches NOT TO LOSE and thats why we get worse and worse because he has been figured out.

And the only thing carrying this guy along at this time is the talent and other teams blunders.

If the guy could develop guys and had ANY type of gameday flair or rhythm then you wouldnt need to post all of those excuses for his lack of success.

If the guy was losing 1 or 2 MAYBE even 3 games a year in close bouts then all of the slurping would be justifiable.

But if you have any inkling of football knowledge youd know watching us play that this guy and his staff are in over their heads.

Thank you for your reasonable arguments. I agree with most of your post but just view it differently.

Golden is terrible at GAMEDAY coaching.
I agree with this, but so was Butch. My hope is he gets good coordinators around him or great players like Ed Reed to compensate for that. Players like Reed and Dorsey made Coker look like the best coach in America in 2001.

But now that its clear what type of coach he is there is no secret amongst other coaches that he coaches NOT TO LOSE and thats why we get worse and worse because he has been figured out.

And the only thing carrying this guy along at this time is the talent and other teams blunders.

I sort of agree with this but I think the Play not to lose is tied to other team blunders. He believes that the team with the least turnovers and penalty will win. all good teams in college rely on talent. Tell me how Ole Miss and Miss St. competes in the SEC, talent alone will not win games. I agree with the philosophy but not the approach. Personally I want to us be more aggressive to force the mistakes.

If the guy was losing 1 or 2 MAYBE even 3 games a year in close bouts then all of the slurping would be justifiable.

I agree with this, but I think last year was the first time he really had a team capable of winning 10+ games. This year has been disappointing for me so far but I'm excited to see how they finish the year. The emergence of Kaya has really given me hope for the future. I did not see us winning the ACC with Williams this year... Kaya has the potential to be NC QB, something we have not had for a while.

But if you have any inkling of football knowledge youd know watching us play that this guy and his staff are in over their heads.

Trust me, I get frustrated watching the games just like you... I'm just trying to put things in perspective. It's not all bad and there are a lot of positives.

Was Butch really that bad at gameday coaching? i mean, how many years was butch a head coach before he got to UM? Al golden already had four years under his belt to work out gameday kinks. And Al golden as had recruited much better than butch did when he first got to UM. Yeah, Reed, dorsey and Co look like a better coach. But coker still had the players in schemes that they can succeed in on both sides of the ball. cokers biggest problem was control and recruiting. wasnt as bad on gameday.

See, the problem is that the players are so worried about not making mistakes and thinking too much. So now they make alot of mistakes because they are thinking too much. since year 1 we have killed ourselves with penalties and it just gets worse and worse.

All good teams do rely on talent but when that talent knows its x's and o's then it destroys teams like Duke, cincy, and Gt.

And youre right. The only way to force mistakes is to play aggressive. i mean, as a coach, why would you be afraid to let kids loose who have been doing this their entire lives.

I can understand employing this type of system at Temple. but why recruit the 1 cb in the nation to play against what made him the 1 cb.

why play a 6'1 200 pound specimen and make it hard for him to make plays? i mean, are we really scared of what Gt's wr's can do to some of the most talented db's in the nation coming out of high school?

I disagree, i think he has had a 10 win+ team every year he has been here. Golden has lost too many players and games due to his philosophy and coaching.

There are countless games that could have been won if we just walked the dbs and backers 5 yards closer to the l.o.s.

You really underestimate the talent on this team. We would have even more if Golden knew how to mold young boys into men/and or knew how to outsmart another coach on game day.

I agree on kaaya but im still wary about James coley as his developer. I still dont trust him as a playcaller although he is clearly getting better.

Im excited about the talent we have but i know in my heart that al Golden will never succeed at the U.

most of us understand all of the circumstances that Al has had to deal with and how its tampered with his success to a certain extent.

But when you can barely beat a lowly wake forest team when you have a team full of south florida monstars then there is a big problem.

sure golden may sneak into a acc ship if the stars align for him one year. But this fanbase is thirsty for glory and the guy cant even win his side of the division with the most talented team by a longshot.

dude is just in over his head and its pointless to be hopeful because he will never ever win here.

you should be disgusted at his excuses alone. how can you recruit these players then blatantly disrespect them to the national media form week to week.

if i was one of our safeties dads id give al golden the biggest cussin out ever.

He is a weak man and a con artist. Guy wrote a 300 page binder on success when he has never had success at anything. who does that?

jump off the train before its too late.

Advertisement
The biggest difference between Golden and Butch when it comes to game day coaching is that by year 4 Butch had show obvious and immense improvement as a game day coach. Golden appears to be backpedaling and trending down.

Awful post. Year 3 we returned 20 of 22 starters, one of whom was Mike James who was replaced with Duke Johnson. Get the **** out with that young team bull****. Last year was disgraceful and this year, year 4 is looking like the worst year of this losers tenure yet.

Yes, that was last year. We went from 7-5 to 9-4. We probably go 10-3 or 11-2 if Duke didn't get hurt against FSU. I didn't mention this team being young. I just said that the senior class is small so we have a lot of depth coming back next year.

Probably??? LOL you have to be trolling. There is no way you actually believe this ****.

Last edited:
I don't think flying banners is a good idea...not because it will hurt recruiting...it won't any more than losing games already does...but because it makes the fanbase look stupid. That said, people have every right to waste their money on banners. I think there are better ways to express frustration, but to each his own.

I don't think our talent and depth are good enough yet to make us relevant nationally...but it's good enough to beat some of the teams we've lost to. It's good enough to not sit back on defense while Nebraska and GT run wild. It's good enough not to need stupid double reverses and trick plays. It's good enough not to need a true freshman QB to carry the team, especially when you have Duke and a veteran OL. It's good enough to be a lot better on special teams than we are. I believe that the talent is upgraded significantly over what it was when AG got here, but at some point, that talent improvement has to show on the field. It hasn't. There's no doubt in my mind that we are currently underachieving.

I don't care that AG spoke with Ped State. It's part of the business. I don't know who initiated what, and I don't know who turned down whom. And I don't care. He's the coach here now, and I hope he wins every game from here on out, because I want the team to win. That said, he hasn't done anything to make me think that he's capable of taking this team to the next level. He has 5 games plus whatever toilet bowl game we end up in (if we even get to one) to change that perception.

I don't believe Butch Davis is the answer. He burned too many bridges, and he's been in the middle of too many bad things since then. Great talent evaluator, better gameday coach than any of the 3 who came after him (pretty low bar), but damaged goods.

I hope we beat the **** out of VT. I hate them. Confidence remains low.

Advertisement
4-1 or 5-0 to close AND a bowl win.

Anything else is unacceptable and he should get the can.

FSU is simply better than us and I expect us to lose. Whether it's a blowout or close is of no consequence to me.

VT, UNC, UVA, and Pittsburgh all suck.

3 out of those 4 teams are fatally flawed in at least one area. Whether it be QB, or the defense, or a general lack of weapons offensively. UVA is the only team that is decent in all phases, but still, we're more talented. Winning at UVA would say a lot to me.

I'm expecting they go 2-2. Beat VT and Pitt. Lose to UNC and UVA.

I don't even want to enter any discussion about him being retained if they lose to UNC, because losing to UNC at home will require a meltdown of epic proportions in at least one area. That UNC team couldn't stop ants from moving down the field. There's no excuse to lose to a team that poor defensively.

4-1 allows for a rational discussion to be had.

3-2???

Bye Felicia

Last edited:
Butch Davis was a Superbowl Champion winning defensive coordinator. Comparing Al as a tactician is laughable. The guy's resume is paper thin compared to Butch's, and he's not putting kids in the league the way Butch did after a few seasons at UNC. Terrible talent development.

Another thing:

Butch Davis, Jimmy, and Howard all knew what it took to be champions bc they had been champions before as coordinators or position coaches. They knew what a championship squad looked, practiced, and played like. Al Golden has never coached for or played for a winner in his life. He talks about pillars and what it takes to win, but he never experienced it.

That doesnt mean only winning breeds winning. But it often is a good sign when a coach comes from a championship background. And its bad sign when one who doesnt is putting up historically bad teams.

Another thing:

Butch Davis, Jimmy, and Howard all knew what it took to be champions bc they had been champions before as coordinators or position coaches. They knew what a championship squad looked, practiced, and played like. Al Golden has never coached for or played for a winner in his life. He talks about pillars and what it takes to win, but he never experienced it.

That doesnt mean only winning breeds winning. But it often is a good sign when a coach comes from a championship background. And its bad sign when one who doesnt is putting up historically bad teams.

Al Golden coached his intramural dodge-ball team to 3 straight titles at PSU from 89'-91'.

http://www.pennstateintramuralarchive.net

Last edited:
Advertisement
Here is my defense of Al Golden, it's very long... I will probably get negged like crazy for this, but I’m just tired of reading all the negative posts and wanted to provide a different perspective. Am I happy with where the team is at? NO. Do like all the coaching decision etc? NO. But reading all these posts about Golden and his staff you would think they can’t even coach a HS team.

He came in after 2010 season taking over a very talented 7-6 team that vastly underachieved. Let revisit each season since he has been here.

2011 (6-6)
Recruiting:
Golden came in after the Bowl game and started recruiting with less than 2 months left to signing day. With very little time and few commitments, he was able to put together a class of 21 players. 2 JC players were signed to fill immediate needs (Botts and D. Smith), and 2 senior transfers were also brought in to help with depth (Ayles, M. Williams). I believe golden did a great job with the limited amount of time that he had by flipping and signing a bunch of talented players. However, 3 of them did not qualify (Grooms, Gadbois, Kinard), 3 more would eventually transfer out (Grimble, Alexis, R. Williams), and 3 starters from the class were dismissed from the team (E. Johnson, G. Paul, Finnie). This left the 2014 class with only 10 players on the current roster (Chick, Dorsett, D. Crawford, Perryman, Pierre, Scott, Goudis, Armbrister, Wells, King).

Season:
This may have been the most talented team that Golden has coached at the U so far. The core of the team was from the #1 ranked 2008 recruiting class who were entering into their 3rd year. The team went 6-6 in that year with a lot of suspensions of key players and negativity around the program. I still think, we could have easily gone 9-3 or 11-1 that year. Call me crazy but they lost to K-State by 4, @ VT by 3, @ FSU by 4, Virginia by 7, BC by 7. I think the season would have been very different if we didn’t lose the opener at Maryland without 9 players including 7 starters. We self-imposed and did not go to a bowl game.

2012: (7-5)
Recruiting:
Golden’s first full year to recruit was handicapped by the NCAA investigation but he still pulled in a large and talented class of 33. Headlined by local stars Duke, Tracy, and Deon this class brought a lot excitement and hope to the U.
classof2012.JPG

Season:
The team went 7-5 after losing 14 starters from the previous year including 5 underclassman (Forston, Streeter, Miller, Vernon, Washington) who declared for the draft. They also suspended Ray Ray Armstrong and A. Johnson for the season prior to the start of the season. Losing a total of 23 players who have started games in their college was careers was too much to overcome for this young but talented team. Depth was almost non-existent as the roster was filled mostly with freshman and sophomores. The team started out 4-1 losing to an experienced K-State team who ended the year at #12. The middle of the season was tough with 3 consecutive losses to #4 ND (12-1), NC (8-4) and #10 FSU (12-2). The Canes closed out the season going 3-1 with the only loss on the road to Virginia by 1 point on the last play of the game. The team self-imposed again and skipped a bowl game.

2013: (9-4)
Recruiting:
Miami signed a small but solid class of 20 of which 3 DNQ (Bond, Lockley, Griffin). 3 highly talented players from the class are no longer with the team (Figs, Olsen, Sandland) as well. As always Golden also got a few SR transfers to fill in immediate gaps on the roster (Renfrow, Gilbert, O’Donnell).
1233338_10201216239500925_164568634_n.jpg

Season:
The season started out with a lot of promise as the NCAA investigation came to an end with very few penalties left after all the self-imposed penalties Miami had already taken. This team was much improved from the year before with added experience and depth. They started out 7-0 and ranked #7 in the nation going into the matchup with FSU. The young Miami was no match for the eventually national champs and lost their best player Duke Johnson for the rest of the season. The banged up Hurricanes would go on to lose their next 2 games to a tough VT (8-5) team and the eventual ACC Coastal division champs in Duke (10-4). The Canes closed out the regular season win 2 wins over Virginia and Pitt. For the first time in 3 years Miami was going bowling. Without Duke and Dorset and a hobbled Morris and Hurns, they were dominated by a 12-1 Louisville team lead by their senior QB Teddy Bridgewater.

2014: (4-3)
Recruiting:
This class of 26 signees is as solid as they come. 20 of them have already played in games this season, with 7 of them either starting games or fighting for starting positions (Kaya, Berrios, Linder, Jenkins, Heurtelou, Wyche, Owens).

Season:
Losing 17 players with starting experience at Miami was a challenge that this 2014 team had to face. Projected starting QB Ryan Williams was injured during the spring forcing Brad Kaya to start as a true freshman. This team is 4-3 so far losing 3 tough games on the road. The offense is finally clicking and the defense looks improved from 2013. I’m looking forward to seeing how this team continues to grow and finish the season.

Recruiting:
Currently ranking #14 in the nation according to Rivals and #16 according to scout with 19 oral commitments.

Outlook:
The 2014 graduating class has only 21 seniors on the entire roster. 8 of the 21 are walk-ons, 1 might be back with a medical redshirt (Scott), and 2 (Williams, Heaps) are back-up QBs. The remaining 10 are all starters, 4 (Dorsett, Walford, Feliciano, McDermont ) on offense and 6 on Defense (Chickillo, Perryman, Gunter, Armbrister, Pierre, Fentress). Although 4 year starters like Perryman, Chickillo and McDermont are hard to replace, there is enough depth and talent behind them to win. With the depth finally building up at most positions and talent level rising, this team is definitely headed in the direction.

Oh yeah, did I mention we currently have the #1 ranked recruiting class for 2016?

Negged for being a Grade A ball licker. Are you serious? You have to be a U*** or FsWho? troll. This is the only rational explanation that there could be for your ridiculous rant.

Do us all a favor and go back to your own team's board and stop trying to sabotage our team.

You are either:

A. A slobbering idiot

B. The village idiot

C. Al Golden's brother, cousin, nephew, friend, etc.

D. Al Golden's wife

E. Doritos

Just in the very slim case that you are not one of the above, then I would suggest you seek some professional psychological help. Only a total moron would still defend this **** show at this point.

Here is my defense of Al Golden, it's very long... I will probably get negged like crazy for this, but I’m just tired of reading all the negative posts and wanted to provide a different perspective. Am I happy with where the team is at? NO. Do like all the coaching decision etc? NO. But reading all these posts about Golden and his staff you would think they can’t even coach a HS team.

He came in after 2010 season taking over a very talented 7-6 team that vastly underachieved. Let revisit each season since he has been here.

2011 (6-6)
Recruiting:
Golden came in after the Bowl game and started recruiting with less than 2 months left to signing day. With very little time and few commitments, he was able to put together a class of 21 players. 2 JC players were signed to fill immediate needs (Botts and D. Smith), and 2 senior transfers were also brought in to help with depth (Ayles, M. Williams). I believe golden did a great job with the limited amount of time that he had by flipping and signing a bunch of talented players. However, 3 of them did not qualify (Grooms, Gadbois, Kinard), 3 more would eventually transfer out (Grimble, Alexis, R. Williams), and 3 starters from the class were dismissed from the team (E. Johnson, G. Paul, Finnie). This left the 2014 class with only 10 players on the current roster (Chick, Dorsett, D. Crawford, Perryman, Pierre, Scott, Goudis, Armbrister, Wells, King).

Season:
This may have been the most talented team that Golden has coached at the U so far. The core of the team was from the #1 ranked 2008 recruiting class who were entering into their 3rd year. The team went 6-6 in that year with a lot of suspensions of key players and negativity around the program. I still think, we could have easily gone 9-3 or 11-1 that year. Call me crazy but they lost to K-State by 4, @ VT by 3, @ FSU by 4, Virginia by 7, BC by 7. I think the season would have been very different if we didn’t lose the opener at Maryland without 9 players including 7 starters. We self-imposed and did not go to a bowl game.

2012: (7-5)
Recruiting:
Golden’s first full year to recruit was handicapped by the NCAA investigation but he still pulled in a large and talented class of 33. Headlined by local stars Duke, Tracy, and Deon this class brought a lot excitement and hope to the U.
classof2012.JPG

Season:
The team went 7-5 after losing 14 starters from the previous year including 5 underclassman (Forston, Streeter, Miller, Vernon, Washington) who declared for the draft. They also suspended Ray Ray Armstrong and A. Johnson for the season prior to the start of the season. Losing a total of 23 players who have started games in their college was careers was too much to overcome for this young but talented team. Depth was almost non-existent as the roster was filled mostly with freshman and sophomores. The team started out 4-1 losing to an experienced K-State team who ended the year at #12. The middle of the season was tough with 3 consecutive losses to #4 ND (12-1), NC (8-4) and #10 FSU (12-2). The Canes closed out the season going 3-1 with the only loss on the road to Virginia by 1 point on the last play of the game. The team self-imposed again and skipped a bowl game.

2013: (9-4)
Recruiting:
Miami signed a small but solid class of 20 of which 3 DNQ (Bond, Lockley, Griffin). 3 highly talented players from the class are no longer with the team (Figs, Olsen, Sandland) as well. As always Golden also got a few SR transfers to fill in immediate gaps on the roster (Renfrow, Gilbert, O’Donnell).
1233338_10201216239500925_164568634_n.jpg

Season:
The season started out with a lot of promise as the NCAA investigation came to an end with very few penalties left after all the self-imposed penalties Miami had already taken. This team was much improved from the year before with added experience and depth. They started out 7-0 and ranked #7 in the nation going into the matchup with FSU. The young Miami was no match for the eventually national champs and lost their best player Duke Johnson for the rest of the season. The banged up Hurricanes would go on to lose their next 2 games to a tough VT (8-5) team and the eventual ACC Coastal division champs in Duke (10-4). The Canes closed out the regular season win 2 wins over Virginia and Pitt. For the first time in 3 years Miami was going bowling. Without Duke and Dorset and a hobbled Morris and Hurns, they were dominated by a 12-1 Louisville team lead by their senior QB Teddy Bridgewater.

2014: (4-3)
Recruiting:
This class of 26 signees is as solid as they come. 20 of them have already played in games this season, with 7 of them either starting games or fighting for starting positions (Kaya, Berrios, Linder, Jenkins, Heurtelou, Wyche, Owens).

Season:
Losing 17 players with starting experience at Miami was a challenge that this 2014 team had to face. Projected starting QB Ryan Williams was injured during the spring forcing Brad Kaya to start as a true freshman. This team is 4-3 so far losing 3 tough games on the road. The offense is finally clicking and the defense looks improved from 2013. I’m looking forward to seeing how this team continues to grow and finish the season.

Recruiting:
Currently ranking #14 in the nation according to Rivals and #16 according to scout with 19 oral commitments.

Outlook:
The 2014 graduating class has only 21 seniors on the entire roster. 8 of the 21 are walk-ons, 1 might be back with a medical redshirt (Scott), and 2 (Williams, Heaps) are back-up QBs. The remaining 10 are all starters, 4 (Dorsett, Walford, Feliciano, McDermont ) on offense and 6 on Defense (Chickillo, Perryman, Gunter, Armbrister, Pierre, Fentress). Although 4 year starters like Perryman, Chickillo and McDermont are hard to replace, there is enough depth and talent behind them to win. With the depth finally building up at most positions and talent level rising, this team is definitely headed in the direction.

Oh yeah, did I mention we currently have the #1 ranked recruiting class for 2016?

Negged for being a Grade A ball licker. Are you serious? You have to be a U*** or FsWho? troll. This is the only rational explanation that there could be for your ridiculous rant.

Do us all a favor and go back to your own team's board and stop trying to sabotage our team.

You are either:

A. A slobbering idiot

B. The village idiot

C. Al Golden's brother, cousin, nephew, friend, etc.

D. Al Golden's wife

E. Doritos

Just in the very slim case that you are not one of the above, then I would suggest you seek some professional psychological help. Only a total moron would still defend this **** show at this point.

F. None of the above

Awful post. Year 3 we returned 20 of 22 starters, one of whom was Mike James who was replaced with Duke Johnson. Get the **** out with that young team bull****. Last year was disgraceful and this year, year 4 is looking like the worst year of this losers tenure yet.

Yes, that was last year. We went from 7-5 to 9-4. We probably go 10-3 or 11-2 if Duke didn't get hurt against FSU. I didn't mention this team being young. I just said that the senior class is small so we have a lot of depth coming back next year.

Probably??? LOL you have to be trolling. There is now way you actually believe this ****.

U don't think Duke would have helped us win one more game last year down the stretch?

Another thing:

I guess that's why Shannon did so well as a HC, maybe we should promote Art Kehoe to HC...

I'm not comparing Golden to Howard, Johnson or Butch, he still has a ways to go.

Last edited:
Advertisement

Probably??? LOL you have to be trolling. There is now way you actually believe this ****.

So Duke plays D now?

U don't think Duke would have helped us win one more game last year down the stretch?

Bad play calling, Duke doesn't play D your thread is trending down. How many Negged did you get by the way you might of set a new record on this board

Excuses on top of excuses I want results win out all these games and I'll defend golden but that's like unicorns making a sextape...

Advertisement
Butch Davis was a Superbowl Champion winning defensive coordinator. Comparing Al as a tactician is laughable. The guy's resume is paper thin compared to Butch's, and he's not putting kids in the league the way Butch did after a few seasons at UNC. Terrible talent development.

Well the last time Butch was coaching in the same crappy ACC coastal division he never had a winning record in the ACC in 4 years. Oh yeah with all that NFL talent that his staff cheated to recruit the best they could do was 8-5 even in his 4th year. He ended his 4 year stay with a stellar record of 28-23 and left the team under investigation for academic fraud. I love Butch for helping rebuild the U 15 years ago but lets all move on with our lives and try not to relive the 90s.

So Duke plays D now?

He did in high school... but not at the U. He would have helped the D by keeping them off the field and scoring more points.

Last edited:
I know there's still some people that hold out hope that Golden is the guy because he speaks well, has nice hair, bull****s with the best of them

But it's over. He's over.

The quicker we remove him the better chance we have to hang on to the 2015 recruiting class and beyond.

Advertisement
Back