I want the TRUTH!!!!

Would you have hired Golden 2011 ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'm not going to lie...I knew very little about Golden when he was hired. I was optimistic at first because I really liked what he represented...and I thought to myself it would be great to see a "good guy" win big at Miami and do it the "right way."

I remember at the time the only name (of the realistic candidates) which caught my eye was Trestman. I liked Trestman for the same reasons I was praying to God Penn State would hire Golden and then maybe we would turn around and hire Petrino.

Cause in today's age of college football where the difference in talent from one team to the next is less than ever....Coaching does matter. Having a good system in place and finding players that maximize that system is what the good modern day coaches do.

Hindsight is 20-20...I never thought Golden would be this bad...but the reality is, he is. I have a bad feeling we're going to be in full fledge Randy Shannon mode towards the end of upcoming season waiting for Golden to get fired so we can move on from this mess.

Advertisement
I'm not going to lie...I knew very little about Golden when he was hired. I was optimistic at first because I really liked what he represented...and I thought to myself it would be great to see a "good guy" win big at Miami and do it the "right way."

I remember at the time the only name (of the realistic candidates) which caught my eye was Trestman. I liked Trestman for the same reasons I was praying to God Penn State would hire Golden and then maybe we would turn around and hire Petrino.

Cause in today's age of college football where the difference in talent from one team to the next is less than ever....Coaching does matter. Having a good system in place and finding players that maximize that system is what the good modern day coaches do.

Hindsight is 20-20...I never thought Golden would be this bad...but the reality is, he is. I have a bad feeling we're going to be in full fledge Randy Shannon mode towards the end of upcoming season waiting for Golden to get fired so we can move on from this mess.

You're already there. The unbridled desire for Golden to fail by the vocal minority is in full swing.

I believe Golden was a perfect hire for the situation Miami was in. The administration knew of the NCAA investigation and needed someone who could manage possible sanctions. Plus, UM didn't have the funds to attract any night names coaches. We went after a 'hot' name who demonstrated that he can build a program back up. It was really between Marc Trestmen (Who had Kosar pulling for him) and AG, and I believe the right choice was made. I've met Trestmen a couple times and while he is brilliant offsenively, I'm not sold on his to sell, recruit, build, and/or motivate. Again, he's a smart guy but I don't see him as a CEO (the pros is a completely different game).

You're already there. The unbridled desire for Golden to fail by the vocal minority is in full swing.

I've seen all I need to see. Giving up nearly 4000 yards over the course of 8 games down the stretch of a coach's 3rd full year at a program will do that.

At this point anyone that doesn't see it is simply going to continue to defend Golden up until the day he gets fired all while citing endless excuses on top of endless excuses. A head coach at the University of Miami should never have a year where they lose to Duke, almost lose to a bad Wake Forest team, get blown out by V Tech AT HOME, and most of all....gets spanked by 30 points in their bowl game by the 18th best team in the country despite having 30 full days to prepare for said game.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I believe Golden was a perfect hire for the situation Miami was in. The administration knew of the NCAA investigation and needed someone who could manage possible sanctions. Plus, UM didn't have the funds to attract any night names coaches. We went after a 'hot' name who demonstrated that he can build a program back up. It was really between Marc Trestmen (Who had Kosar pulling for him) and AG, and I believe the right choice was made. I've met Trestmen a couple times and while he is brilliant offsenively, I'm not sold on his to sell, recruit, build, and/or motivate. Again, he's a smart guy but I don't see him as a CEO (the pros is a completely different game).

I'm personally not sold on Golden's ability to sell, recruit, build, and/or motivate. We're losing way, way too many battles for elite talent in our own backyard. And, most importantly, I'm not sold on his ability to develop the talent he does manage to bring into the program.

Golden can present himself in a politician-like manner to the media and push cliched excuses/talking points. But he's not the elite recruiter some once alleged he was. Not anything close to that.

But if there's one thing we've learned about Trestman, it's that he's a brilliant offensive mind with a firmly established track record of success working with quarterbacks. You're right that Trestman's ability to recruit is unproven, but it's not like Golden's knocking that aspect of college coaching out of the park either.

Wasn't big on the hire. Thought there were better OC, and DC too choose from, before Golden should have been given the job.

Guys need to stop with the "who would have stayed during the cloud". Plenty of coaches would have stayed. Just like the clown who went through it. Wasn't like we were going after Saban caliber type coaches. That would have had another job @ another big program. 5 seconds after they caught wind of it.

Also, wasn't Golden a hot commodity @ that time. Sure he could have gone elsewhere. Then being stuck @ poor ole Miami. Where they tricked him.

Advertisement
I liked the hire, and still think golden is the right guy for the job. That said, I knew that this wasn't a 2 year turn around and it was going to take 3 or 4 recruiting classes to get where we want to be. We still have no evidence that golden isn't that guy.

I liked the hire, and still think golden is the right guy for the job. That said, I knew that this wasn't a 2 year turn around and it was going to take 3 or 4 recruiting classes to get where we want to be. We still have no evidence that golden isn't that guy.

I tend to agree with this. With what was left I think the shelves had to be restocked, I see some talented guys on the team now.
I still get a kick out of people being ****ed Miami lost to Duke, that was a good football team and to say otherwise shows a lack of knowledge.
IMO Golden is building a new base structure for the program based on the kids he's going after and that's going to take time.
I liken it to what was done at Stanford.
I won't defend him to the end, but I also think he needs more than three years.

Not enough evidence? GTFOH with this garbage.

If this was a court case the prosecution would have dropped the mic and walked away a while ago.

We have watched teams with worse talent then Miami turn around in shorter periods of time.

Advertisement
For those that say let Al Golden go. Who else would you bring to Miami?

Miami isn't going to pay top dollar for a coach. We don't have that type of funding. What coach, that is available, or assistant coach, that may be looking for a HC gig do you think wants to come here?

Did we pay top dollar for Jimmy Johnson or Butch Davis? I don't pay much attention to stuff like that, but I don't recall their being expensive hires.

Miami isn't going to pay top dollar for a coach. We don't have that type of funding. What coach, that is available, or assistant coach, that may be looking for a HC gig do you think wants to come here?

Did we pay top dollar for Jimmy Johnson or Butch Davis? I don't pay much attention to stuff like that, but I don't recall their being expensive hires.

Both bailed for a reason

Both bailed for a reason

Part of that reason was the opportunity to assume head coaching jobs in the NFL. I, personally, would have wanted to try my skills at the highest level: the NFL. The football coach at my high school was given the chance to coach on the college level and accepted. I can't remember anyone shaking their head and saying they couldn't fathom why he left. Just seems natural for someone to want to excel as much as possible.

The other thing is that I interpreted motorcitycane's comment to pertain to hiring a new coach rather than to retaining someone who had skyrocketed to stardom while at our program. Those seem like two different situations.

Much the same as Al Golden at Temple, Jimmy was seen as having resurrected a mediocre program at Oklahoma State. His records in his five seasons at Oklahoma State were 7-4, 3-7-1, 7-5, 4-5, and 8-4. After the 1983 season, he applied for the head coaching vacancy at Arkansas, but was turned down. We hired him a few months later.

Last edited:
Advertisement

We have watched teams with worse talent then Miami turn around in shorter periods of time.
Like?

If this was a court case the prosecution would have dropped the mic and walked away a while ago.

I didn't say not enough. I said no evidence. None of his teams have performed under their abilities. It's not like we've had an acc title roster that's not performed to that level.

I didn't say not enough. I said no evidence. None of his teams have performed under their abilities. It's not like we've had an acc title roster that's not performed to that level.

Then you're even more delusional than I gave you credit for.

So you're attempting to say that we didn't have enough talent to:

-Not lose to Duke
-Not lose to VT by double digits at home
-Not struggle to beat a bad Wake Forest team
-Not get blown out by the 18th best team in the country despite 30 days to prepare for the bowl game

If you're answer to any of those are yes......then you're obviously the type that is going to blindly defend him up until and possibly through the day he finally gets fired.

Advertisement
Back