I want the TRUTH!!!!

Would you have hired Golden 2011 ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
For those that say let Al Golden go. Who else would you bring to Miami?

Miami isn't going to pay top dollar for a coach. We don't have that type of funding. What coach, that is available, or assistant coach, that may be looking for a HC gig do you think wants to come here?

Butch Davis. The best thing he has going for him as far as the administration is concerned is he would come for dirt cheap so they would be able to pay Golden's buyout. He's been out of coaching since 2010, but he's been around modern football and he's still an excellent evaluator. (Lavonte David, Robert Quinn.) Butch wants to come back and he knows this is his last trip around. He wouldn't leave for another college job and the NFL won't come calling for him at 64 years old. Also, Susan Dengen was able to actually do some solid reporting and got this gem from Butch.

"I've said a multitude of times that I regret having left the University of Miami and if there were ever an opportunity I would certainly loved to be considered as a candidate for the coaching position."

He wants to come back and he'd do almost anything to come back. He's got unfinished business here and he knows it.

Last edited:
Advertisement
In 2011, the hire made sense. A young coach from an area where a lot of the school's students come from, team captain for and learned under Joe Paterno, a deserved reputation as a stout recruiter that could turn bad teams around, and an all-around likable image for the program. His experience was lacking, but he was cheap, which the university loved and still does unfortunately, and he was pretty much the only real candidate that emerged that was also inexpensive because nobody else really wanted the job. The teams he was involved with increased their wins every year while he was there and that was reason enough to believe giving him the reigns of an elite program in the best recruiting base in the country with the most impressive history since 1980 would lead to the program's return to prominence. The university also probably like the idea that he could handle the looming NCAA issues that would harm the program since he had dealt with wounded programs before.

Fast forward to 2014, the writing is on the wall to make most people believe that this was an overall bad hire, but in 2011 there was reason to be very optimistic. Golden stayed in spite of the NCAA problems when nearly every other coach would have left. Golden led us through the NCAA witch hunt and helped sway public opinion to our side. He put together good enough teams in 2011 and 2012 to keep us respectable enough. He has raised the recruiting standard to a level we haven't had since the early Coker years. So there is talent here now.

That being said, he's made a lot of missteps along the way. He came down here expecting recruiting to work the same way Pennsylvania does and the couldn't be more wrong. He kept a defensive coordinator who has numerous pitfalls ranging from being a bad play caller, a bad recruiter, and a douche in person based solely on favoritism. He slow played South Florida recruiting in favor of out of state players. When he finally did come around to local recruiting, he employed a defensive scheme that is unfavorable to the recruits and has steadfastly refused to change it in the slightest. He flirted with Penn State in the scummiest, most unethical manner possible. His successful recruitment here can be attributed more in part to his assistants rather than himself. (Coley, Brown, Barrow, etc..) Finally, he has not played Miami style and brand football while continuing to be beat but average to above average teams and usually by 20 points.

In 2011, I would have hired Al Golden. In 2014, if he goes anything less than 8-4 and does not win the Coastal, I would also fire Al Golden.

Excellent post!

Thanks, Cash.

Miami isn't going to pay top dollar for a coach. We don't have that type of funding. What coach, that is available, or assistant coach, that may be looking for a HC gig do you think wants to come here?

In 1978 Miami hired a Super Bowl winning OC in his prime. Was our funding then, as an independent, that had no brand, fanbase or cache, have better funding then???

In 1978 Miami hired a Super Bowl winning OC in his prime. Was our funding then, as an independent, that had no brand, fanbase or cache, have better funding then???

Keep dreaming. And LMFAO, Butch Davis...are you fcuking kidding me????
Our "fans" are idiots.

Advertisement
Personally I would have hired Nick Saban.
And if he would have rejected I would have gone hard after Pete Caroll.
If he declined to stay with the seahawks I would have tried to sway Bellicheck away from the Patriots.

This team, while not elite, will have much more talent then when Golden took over. If he and Dorito **** the bed, likely, then I don't see how you can't find a good coach. Not everyone is gonna cost $4-5 million.

Plus, THE CLOUD is gone so a new coach won't have to worry about that either.

missed
259.jpg

if Golden leaves, this is my Want
260.jpg

Last edited:
Advertisement
CJ is good people, why knock an offensive guy? We need too much help on D. It is unacceptable to be this horrendous on D.

This team, while not elite, will have much more talent then when Golden took over. If he and Dorito **** the bed, likely, then I don't see how you can't find a good coach. Not everyone is gonna cost $4-5 million.

Plus, THE CLOUD is gone so a new coach won't have to worry about that either.

That's the key. I think we could get a great hire with the cloud gone, and the talent that has been built.

I'm rather sick and tired of people saying another coach would't have stayed here through the NCAA mess, thereby implying Golden did us a favor. What a hot steaming load of crap that is. Where else was he going to go? Who offered more money than we were currently paying him? He didn't have a better option, that's blatantly obvious to anyone with a brain.

Hire him then, now, or ever....**** no. I said as much then and I can assure you there weren't 21 others saying as much then as the poll seems to indicate.

Advertisement
I wasn't big on the hire, but I also realized our options were limited. As soon as I knew it was between Golden and Edsall, I was rooting for Golden, because I just didn't believe Edsall would get us anywhere. I felt he was too limited and nothing special of a recruiter. At least Golden was well known for being a solid recruiter and as a young up and coming coach might succeed here.

Unfortunately, I then watched the first game between him and Edsall at Maryland. Edsall was pretty much what I expected that game and that year, but Golden and his 15 -20 yards off the ball defense was not good. That was the moment doubt crept in. Up to this point, an Al Golden defense has not swayed that doubt and while I am not off the Golden wagon completely, I am curled into a tucked position ready to roll after jumping.

There are no more excuses, the talent is there, the coastal is weak, and it's year 4 so the players **** well better know the system by now. We are not starting a bunch of freshman. Randy's boys are gone. I'm not asking for top 10 defense (although it would be nice), I just want at minimum top 40 offense and defense, win 10 games, win the coastal and look respectable doing it (not this crap where we are the team people put their big numbers on, or this we stopped the gators, a team who barely knew what the forward pass was). I hope for more, but that is the minimum.

Advertisement
Hind Sight Is 20 / 20,

maybe if we hired Butch or maybe Shalala said fu_ck it lets double up on this and hire the best possible coach ever! and we get him and the NCAA breaks out and he not only dips but sues Miami for a nice settlement and we can't get a decent coach after that..

He was a very good hire initially. Golden's optimism got me through some tough times as a Canes fan. I also appreciate his loyalty which is a rare trait in not only football, but life.
However he was badly exposed last year. Starting with the '13 recruiting cycle right up through the Louisville game. He's trending way down and only a 9/10 win season with a coastal championship should save his job.

First, I have to roll my mind back to 2011 and not let revisionism creep into my head. I had Golden at the bottom of the list of coaches mentioned as candidates for the job. When his hiring was announced, I almost threw up. Since that was my first reaction, I have to vote no.

I think al was the right man for the job at that time because we had that ncaa cloud i think his job is done at miami we need another coach to take us to that next level... i dont like the moves he make like having our best defensive player in Dallas crowford at RB for the past 2 years that was a head scratcher. ... this is not penn state this is south florida you have to let them boys play loose and not like robots.....

Advertisement
Back