2016 Miami Norland 5* PF Dewan Huell is a Cane!

Advertisement
CUHRsoxWcAAxi0q.jpg

Advertisement
Florida State, Miami or South Carolina? Dewan Huell probably heard that question from friends, classmates and strangers a thousand times. The five-star prospect from Miami (Fla.) finally delivered an answer Wednesday.

Miami.

BREAKING DOWN HUELL: Currently ranked No. 23 in the Rivals150, Huell is a high motor player who runs the floor as well as any guard, has very good hands and finishes above the rim. He does most of his damage from 10 feet in, but can keep defenders honest out to 15 feet. Despite being a lean 6-foot-10, 210 pounds, Huell's post skills continue to develop. Defensively, Huell is an effective rim protector and controls the glass even against heftier opponents.

Huell plays with a great attitude and responds well to coaching. He will have to get stronger and improve his handle, but his ceiling is still high.

IN HIS OWN WORDS: After Huell visited Florida State and Miami in early October, he tripped to South Carolina on Oct. 16. A scheduled visit to South Florida was canceled and Huell began final deliberations with his family. Late Tuesday, Huell officially eliminated Florida State before ultimately deciding that staying local was the best choice for him.

"Miami is home and the program has been loyal to me since the jump. Coach L (Larranaga) and Coach (Chris) Caputo text me and call me every day. They play in the ACC, they always play hard, have great fans and they told me that I'd be a great help to their program."

WORDS FROM HIS COACH: Lawton Williams has coached Huell since his freshman season at Miami Norland. During Williams' time at Norland, a public school that does not recruit players, NOrland has won four consecutive state titles and six in the last 10 years. Williams has played a key role in Huell's on-court development.

"The (Miami) coaches love his ability to rebound and defend. He has a chance to play early. He's a strong-minded kid."

RIVALS REACTION: For much of his Huell's recruitment, the conventional wisdom was that Florida State was his leader. Larranaga and his staff did an excellent job of recruiting Huell and made a strong impression during his official visit to Coral Gables. He becomes the third member of the Hurricanes' 2016 class and joins Rodney Miller, who ranks No. 114 overall and Bruce Brown, ranked No. 49 nationally. Brown also committed Wednesday.

https://rivalshoops.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1827372&PT=4&PR=2

Top 10 class considering we have Miller already committed or are we not going to sign enough to be in the running? Not sure how they rate classes in hoops. That's a **** of a pull for Coach L...

I seriously doubt it...while unreal for us, a 5 star + a couple 4 stars for quite a number of programs may not be expected, but is not that rare. (Not including KY, UNC, Duke, Kansas, etc obviously)

****, to me it's crazy Huell is the #2 player in FL...and of course, the #1 player/forward is from IMG going to F$U.

UM

If Huell commits we would have the #7 class according to 24/7 sports

Yeah, I see #7- #10 right now. If it holds that way until the end of 2016 recruiting...I will be happily shocked.

UM

Advertisement
This was a unbelievable recruiting job by the staff. The word on this kid since sophomore year and up until basically September was that there no was no chance from Miami.

This was an amazing turnaround

[video=youtube;ucvHETFHX0w]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucvHETFHX0w[/video]

Oh yeah!!! I've got goosebumps. Tonight we CELEBRATE!!!

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back