Zion back at LT..

He's a strong kid, but I was not impressed by his feet and ability to recover.

I want the kid to do well, but I didn't see anything out of him last year that made me think he could be the anchor.

I do think he's very serviceable on the inside though.

Advertisement
I get the sense with his lean, long frame he's likely suited down the road better at tackle than at guard. I don't know about LT but maybe RT after Williams goes pro after this season.

Hahahahaha well ummmmmmmm.

Tellin ya the kid isn’t as bad as he was made to look last year.
He had no business being a starter as a starter as a true freshman. Only says how bad things were. But he had to gain experience and will only improve. If nothing else he proved he was better than those he started ahead of. I think he will leave after four years to then play on Sundays.

He had no business being a starter as a starter as a true freshman. Only says how bad things were. But he had to gain experience and will only improve. If nothing else he proved he was better than those he started ahead of. I think he will leave after four years to then play on Sundays.
I agree with all of this. Sucks he was put in that position and rarely helped out. the one thing i will say is the kid never quit and kept fighting at least.

Advertisement
Zion is a mover of men WHEN he gets his hands on you. Enter Zion at guard

I can't believe I'm saying this, but we actually might have several capable candidates for a spot on the line for the first time in about 4-5 years.

Now, Campbell is no sure thing at LT, but it appears he's seized a spot and has been there since day 1 of the spring, so the staff must feel good about him. But if he really does turn it around, I'm confident that center, RG, and RT will all be manned by kids who, at the absolute minimum, don't suck.

If Campbell doesn't suck, that's 4, that's a start. And like I said, you've now got several candidates to find a kid at LG who doesn't suck. Zion, Traore, Cleveland Reed, Herbert, El-Gammal….find 1 who can just be average and the line can actually be serviceable. Especially when you factor in the scheme change.

It appears that 4 of the 5 spots have been locked up with only LG still an open competition. It’s good that they threw Campbell out there at LT right away and he’s still holding it down. Williams is probably the best tackle on the team and the fact that they haven’t had to move him to the left side out of desperation is good news
This is how I see it.

The fact both Scaife and Williams have stayed consistent on the right side through most of these practices is a very good indicator that the guys on the left side are meeting expectations. If Campbell was a ****show at LT, I imagine the staff would be forced to consider moving Williams to LT and/or Scaife to RT. Plus, Campbell looked much improved at LG later in the season compared to how he looked early at LT (IMO, by the end of the season he looked better at LG than Donaldson did when healthy), so there is reason for optimism with him.

Advertisement
I can't believe I'm saying this, but we actually might have several capable candidates for a spot on the line for the first time in about 4-5 years.

Now, Campbell is no sure thing at LT, but it appears he's seized a spot and has been there since day 1 of the spring, so the staff must feel good about him. But if he really does turn it around, I'm confident that center, RG, and RT will all be manned by kids who, at the absolute minimum, don't suck.

If Campbell doesn't suck, that's 4, that's a start. And like I said, you've now got several candidates to find a kid at LG who doesn't suck. Zion, Traore, Cleveland Reed, Herbert, El-Gammal….find 1 who can just be average and the line can actually be serviceable. Especially when you factor in the scheme change.
The things you’re describing to me sir sound like witchcraft.

This is how I see it.

The fact both Scaife and Williams have stayed consistent on the right side through most of these practices is a very good indicator that the guys on the left side are meeting expectations. If Campbell was a ****show at LT, I imagine the staff would be forced to consider moving Williams to LT and/or Scaife to RT. Plus, Campbell looked much improved at LG later in the season compared to how he looked early at LT (IMO, by the end of the season he looked better at LG than Donaldson did when healthy), so there is reason for optimism with him.
Exactly. Right from the jump we knew 3 guys were locks for starting spots. Gaynor, Scaife and Williams were penciled in at C, RG and RT respectively, The left side was a question mark but clearly the staff is comfortable enough in what they have to not bother moving Scaife or Williams anywhere. That's big.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back