Zcruit Recruiting Services

Shogungts

Junior
Premium
The Athletic ran an article today on a tool that college football programs use to track recruits. Basically it is a time saver that pulls from the 3 major recruiting services and twitter (I am sorry... X now) and then allows coaches to sift through data easier by allowing them to slice and dice it to fit their needs (ex: show me OL that have P5 offers and are in Tennessee, Kentucky or Alabama).

The tool sounded like it could be interesting, but what caught my attention is that according to Zcruit, 86% of P5 schools (including 12/14 ACC schools) use Zcruit but Miami is not one of them

Now obviously Miami seems to be doing alright in recruiting and no one will accuse of Mario of being a slouch there, just found it interesting and am curious if they are using someone else or if they are just doing everything in house.

Advertisement
Fax GIF by Back to the Future Trilogy

To be completely honest this sounds like something people could whip up in about an hour

Not to take away from it’s time saving capabilities, which is always helpful, but I would imagine everyone has some sort of program like this

As long as we do that plus host a lot of in person evals, then I think it’s all good

Not gonna lie, when I read the thread title I immediately thought it was some sort of new recruiting terminology to describe how Alonzo is able to spot under the radar recruits before everyone else. Man, I need some coffee.

Advertisement
Interesting that a majority of P5 coaches/recruiters are looking at the same data. Many on here have said there’s a lot of bias in the services by guys that have never stepped on a football field. I’d say Mario and now Zo trust what they’re seeing more than a bunch of pencil pushers.

Advertisement
Doesn’t sound like an eval tool, more of a tell me what’s going on with the recruit (height, weight, visits, offers, etc.) which is helpful in building the prospect file.

I’m sure Napier has “who has Miami offered” saved in his favorites.
Exactly - the tool is just an aggregator that claims to sift through the noise.

We have a couple of notification systems, where I can customize the alerts that I’m gonna get. There’s a lot of noise out there that I’m sure you’ve seen on Twitter. Kids are tweeting offers and commitments left and right. Things are being retweeted and yada, yada, yada. There’s 247Sports posting commitments and decommitments and offers. Same with Rivals. And now On3 is doing the same thing. So there’s a lot of noise out there. What we were able to do is basically take all that noise, control that noise and basically allow the user, allow the coach to extract what’s just going to be important for them. So for instance, if I’m Vanderbilt, and I know I’ve got a high-academic threshold I’ve got to hit on a lot of these kids, I might want to track and just see what Northwestern and Stanford and Duke and Wake Forest and kind of those like-academic schools, what they’re doing. To track who they’re offering, who’s committing to them, so on and so forth.
We can customize Zmails, customize reports for coaches. And most of the time, that’s based on position. Each coach recruits a position and then each coach has a recruiting area that they’re responsible for — a number of states or counties or a combination of both of those. And so basically, we can get some really curated information. And that usually just serves as the starting point for that coach, where it’s, “Hey, this kid popped up. Johnny Johnson popped up in my area and just got offered by Northwestern. I don’t know this kid. But if Northwestern’s on him, he’s probably got some sort of grades. So I’ve got to go and check this kid out.” At that point, Vanderbilt would probably take that kid and start him in their funnel and start to do some initial research on him and just check everything: “Does this kid have grades? Can he play? All right. Let’s get him going down our evaluation pipeline.”

To be completely honest this sounds like something people could whip up in about an hour

Not to take away from it’s time saving capabilities, which is always helpful, but I would imagine everyone has some sort of program like this

As long as we do that plus host a lot of in person evals, then I think it’s all good
@Andrew ‘s gonna offer his Bot to UM for this for two Twix bars per week.

I think it’s a pretty interesting service but I might be in the minority here where I couldn’t give two ***** if we use it or not.

Kinda glad we don’t actually. I’m all for efficiency but this seems like cutting corners and when you cut corners efficiency doesn’t matter.

Maybe a one time run to better understand the recruiting class because thats a lot of data and recruits to sift through but I wouldn’t want offers out just based on something like this.

I feel like Prison Mike and Gaypier would be the types to shoot out offers based on a search result.

Advertisement
Exactly - the tool is just an aggregator that claims to sift through the noise.

We have a couple of notification systems, where I can customize the alerts that I’m gonna get. There’s a lot of noise out there that I’m sure you’ve seen on Twitter. Kids are tweeting offers and commitments left and right. Things are being retweeted and yada, yada, yada. There’s 247Sports posting commitments and decommitments and offers. Same with Rivals. And now On3 is doing the same thing. So there’s a lot of noise out there. What we were able to do is basically take all that noise, control that noise and basically allow the user, allow the coach to extract what’s just going to be important for them. So for instance, if I’m Vanderbilt, and I know I’ve got a high-academic threshold I’ve got to hit on a lot of these kids, I might want to track and just see what Northwestern and Stanford and Duke and Wake Forest and kind of those like-academic schools, what they’re doing. To track who they’re offering, who’s committing to them, so on and so forth.
We can customize Zmails, customize reports for coaches. And most of the time, that’s based on position. Each coach recruits a position and then each coach has a recruiting area that they’re responsible for — a number of states or counties or a combination of both of those. And so basically, we can get some really curated information. And that usually just serves as the starting point for that coach, where it’s, “Hey, this kid popped up. Johnny Johnson popped up in my area and just got offered by Northwestern. I don’t know this kid. But if Northwestern’s on him, he’s probably got some sort of grades. So I’ve got to go and check this kid out.” At that point, Vanderbilt would probably take that kid and start him in their funnel and start to do some initial research on him and just check everything: “Does this kid have grades? Can he play? All right. Let’s get him going down our evaluation pipeline.”

Good info there. I’m sure some lazy coaches will use it to “offer” guys but could help to unearth a gem once film is watched.

@Andrew ‘s gonna offer his Bot to UM for this for two Twix bars per week.
He's going to have to be very specific in his demands.

All these companies are essentially the first screening process for coaches. Each do the same thing but some do it better and offer other bits of info.

Like with catapult, we go around to games (and camps) and put the vests on kids. This is gives us real data that colleges already use and now translate it to a prospect.

Like when I go to a game and put a vest on a kid, coaches will hound me till I get them the data.

Advertisement
All these companies are essentially the first screening process for coaches. Each do the same thing but some do it better and offer other bits of info.

Like with catapult, we go around to games (and camps) and put the vests on kids. This is gives us real data that colleges already use and now translate it to a prospect.

Like when I go to a game and put a vest on a kid, coaches will hound me till I get them the data.
Right - I understand that any tool can become a crutch, but at the same time if used correctly the can make you much more productive.

Right - I understand that any tool can become a crutch, but at the same time if used correctly the can make you much more productive.
I'm agreeing with you. I'm just saying that some people in this thread were viewing it as part of the end result but it's really just an initial screening process (for the most part)

Advertisement
Back