Zalon'tae Hillery

Key with recruiting big men is finding guys with great frames, plus athleticism for their size, and big motors. The rest a good college OL coach can teach.

I tend to shy away from the big HS slobs with dicey motors who dominate once in awhile on size alone.

THIS. Outside of QB, this is the position that requires the most projection. How many highly ranked OL prospects have we had get in here and bust because they were used to getting by on size?

Advertisement
Not squishy! Will be an athletic OL with a solid frame. Job is to develop talent you have evaluated being worthy. One thing I like about what Kirby Smart said at SEC days, "their job isn't to win the "star" wars, it's to coach up the guys they bring in to win games". This kid is the big athletic muscular type we need. The Johnson kid we recruited last year fit the same bill. Be a fine recruiting class of Olinemen in Donaldson, Dykstra and Hillery, all powerful and solid frames.

Key with recruiting big men is finding guys with great frames, plus athleticism for their size, and big motors. The rest a good college OL coach can teach.

I tend to shy away from the big HS slobs with dicey motors who dominate once in awhile on size alone.

This. Motor, Frame, Bend.

THIS. Outside of QB, this is the position that requires the most projection. How many highly ranked OL prospects have we had get in here and bust because they were used to getting by on size?

I look at DTs the same way, which is why I don't get too upset when it looks like we're not recruiting many traditional 300+ pound HS DTs. I'd rather get a big HS DE with a giant motor and good athleticism and let him grow into a DT. Or take an undersized HS DT with great athleticism and grow him into a 290 pounder.

I don't trust fat HS kids. They tend to bust at an alarming rate.

I look at DTs the same way, which is why I don't get too upset when it looks like we're not recruiting many traditional 300+ pound HS DTs. I'd rather get a big HS DE with a giant motor and good athleticism and let him grow into a DT. Or take an undersized HS DT with great athleticism and grow him into a 290 pounder.

I like this kid's movement skills, very interested to see how he does on Saturday.

Chise (and others agreeing with the quoted sentiment like me), how do you view T. Slaton? He is one of the naturally largest HS kids I've seen in some time but not sure about the desire\motor.

Advertisement
Give him 3 stars just for the abuse he has had to endure with that last name. At least with the last name similar to that of nurse ratchets, they both have one thing in common in that they put their pants on one leg at a time.

Couldn't agree more. I'd so much rather take Moten, Mcintosh, Jon Ford types. Everyone on here was ****ting on Tyreic Martin last year...from where I'm sitting, that's exactly the type of kid you take and develop into a tackle. All about projecting what they'll be 3 years down the line.

Meanwhile, none of the "can't miss" fat guys from down here has done anything lately. Forston, Valentine, Chief Keef, Khairi Clark, etc.

That was the scariest thing about Golden's defense from Day 1. It required a big 335 pound kid that could get **** done in the middle. How many of them are there in college football in any given year? 2 or 3? How many good nose tackles have EVER come out of South Florida?

Advertisement

I like this kid's movement skills, very interested to see how he does on Saturday.

Chise (and others agreeing with the quoted sentiment like me), how do you view T. Slaton? He is one of the naturally largest HS kids I've seen in some time but not sure about the desire\motor.

I don't know enough about Slaton to comment on him. This is where the HC needs a staff that he can trust with good relationships with local coaches. If Slaton has a dicey motor and/or questionable toughness, then I'd pass no matter how big he is. There is an absolute premium on toughness and motor in the trenches.

Couldn't agree more. I'd so much rather take Moten, Mcintosh, Jon Ford types. Everyone on here was ****ting on Tyreic Martin last year...from where I'm sitting, that's exactly the type of kid you take and develop into a tackle. All about projecting what they'll be 3 years down the line.

Meanwhile, none of the "can't miss" fat guys from down here has done anything lately. Forston, Valentine, Chief Keef, Khairi Clark, etc.

That was the scariest thing about Golden's defense from Day 1. It required a big 335 pound kid that could get **** done in the middle. How many of them are there in college football in any given year? 2 or 3? How many good nose tackles have EVER come out of South Florida?

Great list. Add Jaytard Bostwick. Thankfully, Folden missed on so many of his Plan A fat guys and wound up with better guys by accident.

Advertisement
Hard to tell much from that tape. Competition is bad and it's difficult to see how big he really is.

Apparently, this is Hillery's first year playing organized football. You can see some flexibility and athleticism. Good opportunity for him to test himself against local DEs.
Competition is bad ? He plays on the same team as Deejay right ?

OT's need quick feet first an foremost. Next technique. Then I would worry about size. College DE's are just too quick now days to get by on strength or size. Means nothing if you can not move.

Advertisement
Here is a quote from the Rivals article on Hillery:

"A reason for the lack of stars? He began playing football as a sophomore, rotating in that season, before starting last year for the first time. He only attended one camp, at Georgia, never making the circuit tour set up by so many recruiting services. As a lineman, of course, he also doesn't get 7-on-7 exposure."

They also mention that he will camp in Florida and that the staff here seems to be very high on him.

This young man is sunny odogwu 2.0 and it is funny that a few posters on here were critical of Miami's signing Sunny a few years ago considering he had only played 2 years of football prior to arriving at Miami and still has eligibility so the jury is still out about Sunny's UM career.

The good thing this time around is that coming to the Paradise Camp, UM coaches can work him out unlike Sunny's recruitment ( an for the record I liked UM signing Sunny).

Hopefully Miami can get a few more last minute attendees that are quality SDE\DT's to give the Olinemen a good workout such as: 2017 DT Jordan Scott, 2017 SDE Jonathan Garvin, 2017 DT Kane Taylor, and 2017 DT Rashad Colson.

Go Canes

Last edited:
Give him 3 stars just for the abuse he has had to endure with that last name. At least with the last name similar to that of nurse ratchets, they both have one thing in common in that they put their pants on one leg at a time.

This dude. Posting while sitting down to pee. Give it rest pumpkin.

Forston wasn't really a fat kid in HS. He just had a so so motor.

Didn't Forston make into the NFL? Are we calling him a bust or just a little short of his overly exalted 5 star rating?

Forston was a bust. Him messing around on practice squads for a few years doesn't change that. The dude's a cop in Georgia in what should be his prime NFL years.

Advertisement
Back