Zach Feagles.... anyone heard, has he gotten better? I hope so

My gut tells me he’ll be fine, he showed some improvement at the end of the season and I don’t think he suddenly forgot how to punt, just had some struggles as a true Frosh.

Advertisement
He honestly wasn’t that bad most of the time, but the **** shanks just seemed to come at the worst possible times.

To his credit, though, he had some very good punts in the first halves of the FSU and GaTech games when our offense was sputtering. He gave our defense room to work in the two closest games we had, and that’s all you can really ask from a punter.

But he needs to do that consistently to be an effective tool, and maybe he eventually evolves into a flip the field type guy.

Bosher had a bunch of shanks as a freshman. Feagles has the tools so it’s just a matter of him progressing.

Bosher was far worse as a sophomore than Feagles as a freshman. Bosher as a freshman was bad but not as bad as Feagles. My concern is that Bosher's leg was actually better than Feagles so the upside was NFL All Pro with Bosher. Feagles long was 50s, Boshers long was 70s.

Advertisement
He improved as the season went on, so why wouldn't he improve between his Freshman and Sophomore seasons?

I think people forget he was a true frosh last year. Not all 18-19 come in ready for perfection. As long as he can clean up the shanks, he will be fine.

The thing he could really do well is coffin corner the punt if we were out of field goal range.

If he adds consistentcy and gets his yards per punt near 50 with good hang time, he'll be fine.

Nice to have a punter that can kick it 60-70 yards, but just give me a guy thats consistent and is a good short yardage punter that can kick it 45-50 yards.

If you're offense is running okay, you don't need a punter that can kick is 70 yards, lol

Guy was a true freshman and clearly has the leg. Kicking is all about muscle memory and calm nerves. Maybe he doesn't have either one down yet. I don't get how we're expecting this much from a true freshman.

Not that I'm a kicking expert, but I'm surprised no one has mentioned this. Looked to me all season like he was holding the ball really high to drop it, and then kicking it a little too soon when the ball was closer to his waist -- he was catching it with the toe leading to a more upward trajectory. Hence garbage punts, and also how a punt goes backwards.

Can we say for certain that Hartley didn't have something to do with that? Love the guy as a recruiter but ST short of Berrios has not been great.

My gut tells me he’ll be fine, he showed some improvement at the end of the season and I don’t think he suddenly forgot how to punt, just had some struggles as a true Frosh.

Your gut, eh?!? Chit makes me feel much better about our punting game, mate...

Advertisement
I understand that he was a freshman, but he only has one responsibility. The staff can work on hang time, placement, etc, but the propensity of shanks is a lack of focus on his part.

He has to improve.
Plus, it's not his fault he wasn't ready; we didn't have any viable alternatives. Ideally, he redshirts last year and competes for the job this season-- but that didn't happen.
It's the offseason, let's be supportive and then see what happens this Fall.

I'd tend to put his shanks more on nerves than ability. He showed pretty good directional ability and decent hang time on his non-shanked punts. The problem was, he was shanking almost a punt a game.

Advertisement
For all the Fankles defenders:

We ******* ranked 120th out of 130 teams in net punting last season you ***aloons.

120th! Jesus ******* wept. The only stat we ranked lower than that was 3rd down conversions!

Sunshine pumpers union meeting here or what? Why didn't Spicer get more snaps?

I'm gonna be Brock here and say that the guy was the number 7 ranked punter by Kohl's kicking. So at least we know his leg/mechanics is not really his problem. Problem is, his knees buckle when the spotlights on.

If we could just get the sh*t out of his pants, it would help our defense (and even our offense) alot.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back