Z’s prospect watch: Pensacola CB Damarius McGhee

Come on Z you know these kids don’t care about social fits anymore $$$ and haven’t for a longtime!
Na, I don’t think he’s a bag candidate. Look at the offer list and then the top 5. It isn’t gonna take much to get him. Bags are thrown but the heavy bags that make you think twice happen in recruitments like Tony Grimes and Mello Brinson where there’s multiple high tier bidders.

Advertisement
“ Pensecola (Fla.) Catholic Top247 cornerback Damarius McGhee named Tennessee, Ole Miss, Georgia, Miami and Louisville his leaders on Wednesday.

"I'm trying to make a decision around the end of summer," McGhee told 247Sports over the phone.

McGhee, who was one of the biggest risers in 247Sports' most recent rankings update, did a virtual visit with Tennessee a few weeks ago. He said that the Volunteers are probably recruiting him harder than anyone else right now.

"It's a beautiful campus," McGhee said. "Me and [defensive coordinator Derrick Ansley] have a good connection, probably more so than the other DB coaches. Me and [Jeremy Pruitt] kind of got a good relationship too. I have always wanted to go up there ever since I got the offer. The stadium seems nice and they got a nice indoor."

McGhee was quick to note that if he signs with Tennessee, he's probably going to be playing with some other top talent.

"They got a good looking class. I have looked at some of the people that they got committed, and I'm like this place must be nice," McGhee said.

McGhee hasn't been to Ole Miss before, but is very familiar with assistant Terrell Buckley.

"Me and T-Buck are good," McGhee explained. "They were one of the first schools that offered me. T-Buck actually offered me when he was at [Mississippi State]."

McGhee camped at Georgia the summer before his junior season.

"I like it," McGhee said. "I like how [assistant Charlton Warren] runs his drills and all that. He doesn't call you out if you do something wrong, but he's going to make you better."

Miami didn't offer McGhee until Tuesday.

"I just want to go down there and visit," McGhee said. "Back in 2001 when they won a national championship, I really liked the defense. I have always liked their defense."

Are the Hurricanes a little to late to the party?

"No," McGhee said. "They still got time."

McGhee doesn't have an exact date for a commitment, but acknowledged that it could come before the end of July or August.

"Sometime before my season," he said.

McGhee is listed at 6-1, 162 pounds. The Under Armour All-American totaled 47 tackles and six interceptions as a junior for a Pensacola Catholic team that went 11-1 and made the 3A state playoffs while also getting snaps at quarterback. He has clocked a 4.56 on the lasers in the 40-yard dash and also posted a 4.25 in the short shuttle. The 247Sports' Crystal Ball doesn't currently hold any predictions from recruiting analysts.”

Advertisement
Advertisement
NC St just flipped CB Nate Evans from Tenn about a week ago.

They still have Kamar Wilcoxson who's listed as a Safety but says he's gonna play CB in college, they also have De'Shawn Rucker & Edwin White at Safety committed, plus CB Jay Jones from Alabama who's been committed to them since last year & may be pushed out.

They're also after Tyreek Chappell from Philly, Isaiah Johnson from West Va & a JUCO kid at corner along with McGhee.

Depending on how hard our staff applies pressure on McGhee will determine where we stand with Markevious Brown, because if they think we get Brown I doubt they'll push for McGhee, but if they're not confident in getting Brown you should be seeing them making the effort to gain ground being how far we are behind in this recruitment.

That's the thing that still doesn't make sense in our CB recruiting, this is a kid that should've been offered months ago & simply off that alone would've given us a much better shot to land him. We drag our feet hardcore & are extra picky with the CB offers & then are left scrambling late to find a last minute miracle in January.

NC St just flipped CB Nate Evans from Tenn about a week ago.

They still have Kamar Wilcoxson who's listed as a Safety but says he's gonna play CB in college, they also have De'Shawn Rucker & Edwin White at Safety committed, plus CB Jay Jones from Alabama who's been committed to them since last year & may be pushed out.

They're also after Tyreek Chappell from Philly, Isaiah Johnson from West Va & a JUCO kid at corner along with McGhee.

Depending on how hard our staff applies pressure on McGhee will determine where we stand with Markevious Brown, because if they think we get Brown I doubt they'll push for McGhee, but if they're not confident in getting Brown you should be seeing them making the effort to gain ground being how far we are behind in this recruitment.

That's the thing that still doesn't make sense in our CB recruiting, this is a kid that should've been offered months ago & simply off that alone would've given us a much better shot to land him. We drag our feet hardcore & are extra picky with the CB offers & then are left scrambling late to find a last minute miracle in January.
And this is what I believe the main issue is with cb recruiting. They seem to be too picky and don’t offer guys early enough and or don’t recruit guys hard enough or cool on them for odd reasons.

We got “time” but anybody with a brain knows we’re late to this party per usual. I still don’t understand how Ivins even told them about this kid and they sat on him.
It’s like rumph doesn’t start getting to work on the trail till late November/December when diaz knocks on his office door and be like where the commits at?

Advertisement
Na, dude needs to be on the offensive side of the ball.

Good kid who won’t **** around with the recruiting process
We’re not taking 4 WRs though and the possibility of getting Leonard Taylor is way more real than Marshall. Someone’s gotta go...

Edit: meant to put 4

Last edited:
Advertisement
We’re not taking 3 WRs though and the possibility of getting Leonard Taylor is way more real than Marshall. Someone’s gotta go...
Are u saying UM is not taking 3 Wrs this class, cause I dont believe that 😂😂😂? They got to be taking 3 or 4 depending in who wants to come. With that being said, things will work out, all these kids need to play a senior season you never know what will happen.

Are u saying UM is not taking 3 Wrs this class, cause I dont believe that 😂😂😂? They got to be taking 3 or 4 depending in who wants to come. With that being said, things will work out, all these kids need to play a senior season you never know what will happen.
My bad, I meant to put 4.

Advertisement
Back