Your Opinions. Did we have an elite spread QB fall in our lap? But use the wrong system?

ToiletWater

Banned
Banned
Did we blow it with Tate Martell? We will talk about Williams later in the post. Our wideouts consist of

JT
Pope
Hartley
Osborn
Hightower
Wiggins

Now you pair that with fluid and skilled tight ends with Irvin, Mal, and BJ with pass catching running backs with Cam and DeeJay.

Did we blow it with the offense we are running? Seems like we were built for an Air Raid or Spread Offense.

Did we really bring Tate to run under center?

With Tate running a high tempo spread, our offense with our speed and skilled players would be lethal

Now on to Williams. Guy has shotgun spread written all over him. He is the prototype big strong spread QB that can Stan in the pocket and deliver darts. Are we blowing it with him playing under center with slow play action plays?

So essentially we have two elite spread QB’s that can run a spread on the college level. Are we wasting both QBs?

Last edited:
Advertisement
I wondered why we brought in Martell if we had no plans on running an Urban-styled power spread.

Forcing this kid to play under center in Enos' 1999 slow offense wasn't doing either side any favors. It would've been nice to see how he performed in a modern offense that fit his skill set.

Also helping matters is that type of offense would benefit this OL.

Did we blow it with Tate Martell? We will talk about Williams later in the post. Our wideouts consist of

JT
Pope
Hartley
Osborn
Hightower
Wiggins

Now you pair that with fluid and skilled tight ends with Irvin, Mal, and BJ with pass catching running backs with Cam and DeeJay.

Did we blow it with the offense we are running? Seems like we were built for an Air Raid or Spread Offense.

With Tate running a high tempo spread, our offense with our speed and skilled players would be lethal

Now on to Williams. Guy has shotgun spread written all over him. He is the prototype big strong spread QB that can Stan in the pocket and deliver darts. Are we blowing it with him playing under center with slow play action plays?
With this O line there is no pocket to stand in and deliver darts!! That is why there are no big plays in the passing game. Three step drop and get the ball out. Sadly we will never know if Tate was the answer. The O line situation says no.

The mental lapses by this offensivle line make it impossible to run any offense very effectively.

Until we correct that we are in big trouble.
It starts and ends with Enos. Everyone blamed the O-Line under richt as well.

Our players are our players. We need a coach, in this case an OC, who will put his ego aside and use the talent in the best way possible. If that means spread run spread. If that means wishbone triple option, do it.

But no. We have had two consecutive play callers that still think modern era football is 12 formation qb under center slow play action. Wait until we get to ACC play. Jarrens inability to accurately throw a ball beyond 15 yards is now a known thing. Defenses will press and blitz. It will be a nightmare to watch.

Advertisement

JT
Pope
Hartley
Osborn
Hightower
Wiggins

So essentially we have two elite spread QB’s that can run a spread on the college level. Are we wasting both QBs?

Here's my opinion, this board gets dumber and dumber by the second. Case in point, this thread.

This was always my biggest fear.
I had no problem with Martell losing the job. As long as the offense was better with Jarren running this I-Form compared to Martell running the spread.
Unfortunately it was problem Jarren in the I-Form v. Martell in the I-Form.

Advertisement
I wondered why we brought in Martell if we had no plans on running an Urban-styled power spread.

Forcing this kid to play under center in Enos' 1999 slow offense wasn't doing either side any favors. It would've been nice to see how he performed in a modern offense that fit his skill set.

Yep our offense out of the gun with tate at qb would be more dangerous.

This was always my biggest fear.
I had no problem with Martell losing the job. As long as the offense was better with Jarren running this I-Form compared to Martell running the spread.
Unfortunately it was problem Jarren in the I-Form v. Martell in the I-Form.
With two talent QBs I figured we couldn’t go wrong with either. But it seems like we are wasting both of their talents

Are you saying Tate and Williams would not benefit from a spread?

Well, I'm saying the opening premise OP stated about Tate was hilarious. Reminder, he was RUN OUT Of Ohio State, which runs the "spread."

Second, most of this board has no idea what the spread is. We run a ton of 3-4 WR sets, shotgun, RPO action, under center w/3-4 receivers. The issue is not the "spread." The issue is not the formations. The issue is mostly the offensive line. And yes, situational playcalling needs to be better.

Our players are our players. We need a coach, in this case an OC, who will put his ego aside and use the talent in the best way possible. If that means spread run spread. If that means wishbone triple option, do it.

But no. We have had two consecutive play callers that still think modern era football is 12 formation qb under center slow play action. Wait until we get to ACC play. Jarrens inability to accurately throw a ball beyond 15 yards is now a known thing. Defenses will press and blitz. It will be a nightmare to watch.

For your comments on Enos

D7D4A030-9793-4F85-A407-CE641768C414.gif

For your consistent bashing of JW15 when it’s been Enos’s play calling and philosophy of forcing a under the center proset without the physical oline up front to run it

CA821382-7A22-4C92-AA9C-A2191C3918CE.gif

Advertisement

Yeah I also wonder why we brought in Tate if we were not going to run a spread
The ironic part of all this is Perry. If we were going to run this offense he seems the best to do it.

Bingo. System might be fine, but we don't have the guys to run it. Makes no sense that we're bunching our athletes up and not giving them space to work in and running these plays that take hours to develop. And what the **** happened to the pre snap shifts? Nothing against Jarren, but really do think Tate or Kosi would be putting up more points given the porous line. Jarren is a better thrower in terms of accuracy, but ****, dude doesn't yet show the pocket awareness or play making ability to make up for this line being awful. I think Dan is betting on the line getting better, I just don't see that happening anytime soon.

If we play Martell we'll probably have a more successful offense necause the dude will run like ****....however when he's forced to pass we could be in trouble.

Our line is atrocious and Dan PEnos just needs to stay home. **** if I could raise the cash, I'd pay him to burn all his Canes gear and GTFO of Miami on the first flight.

Advertisement
We need a new starting QB, give JW a participation trophy for not throwing any interceptions, bench him, and find another QB to do the job... if he transfers it’s not a loss.

Run a two QB system with NKosi and Tate the rest of the season... and fire Dan Enos as soon as we lose to Duke the last game of the year.

UNC and BCU gave Enos a false sense of security regarding the lines ability to hold a pocket for longer than 2 seconds.

Advertisement
Back