Your Keys to Thursday Night

RiDLer80

All-American
What are your keys to win Thursday night's matchup?

Here's mine:

Offense: Patience by Morris. Last season UNC made a dedicated effort not to give up the big play over the top and forced Morris to show poise and patience. He had a subpar game and threw 2 interceptions with 0 touchdowns. He'll have to show the willingness to take the underneath stuff that'll be available to him if UNC uses a similar gameplan. I think Warlord will be big underneath as well as Duke on check-downs.

Defense: Having a consistent pass rush. Renner has been named their starter. In five games so far this season they only have 500 rushing yards. They'll be leaning on Renner to move the ball. We get after him early and make him uncomfortable in the pocket, he'll have a long day.

Advertisement
No turnovers
Cause Turnovers on D
Score early
Morris smart with the ball using all his weapons
Duke 150+ with Dallas doing his thing.
Online has to protect Morris and give the RBs lanes

DUKE!!

Unc is terrible against the run. Duke should put on a show to get back in the heisman race.

Advertisement
Don't let them hang around. Score early and end any hope they have of an upset early on. Set the tempo from the outset. The longer we allow them to stick around, the longer the crowd stays in the game, and the longer they believe they can win. Weird stuff happens on Thursday night games. End this **** in the first half.

On defense somebody's got to cover their TE. Renner will look to him often IMO and we all know Miami's past history with good TE's.
Offense, be patient and do what they do, I think the offense is in sync now and UNC will have a very difficult time stopping them, my guess is Duke puts on a show.

TE targets and swing passes to the RB's will open up the downfield passing. Getting Duke and Dallas on the edge will dominate the running game.

Advertisement
Advertisement
You guys remember that GT beat UNC (28-20) at GT.

GT Held UNC to 17 First Downs, 319 Total Yards and a TOP of 19:22.

Advertisement
As mentioned above...no turnovers, control LOS, run the ball well, score on big plays, cause turnovers on D, score on D, score on Special teams and take every UNC QB out the game.

I think if we come out focused 48-9 is not out of the question.

Establish the run early- UNC is 95th against the run
Play smart: penalties on the road can kill you
Hit Warlord underneath and in the flats to make their linebackers cover the perimeter
Crossing Routes to the receivers; make them tackle us in space if they want to play that Cover 3 shell on us
Pressure Renner
Hands up on quick passes
Limit Ebron (I don't think you can stop him, but limit him. Especially on 3rd downs)
Make plays in special teams and don't give them a short field

The key to Thursday night is preparing for it Wednesday night: Hydrate. Marinate. Procreate. Getting to bed at a decent hour is also key. Thursday morning should involve excercise, a balanced breakfast, power ****, nice shower & getting to work early. Stay busy (off CIS) at work. Handle your business (skip lunch) & leave as early as possible. Get home. Open cold beer. Fire up the grill, place marinated meat on there. Open another cold beer. Repeat process until meat is done. When ready, make up for missing lunch.. After eating, take a nice cold shower. Change into Canes apparel. Open another cold beer. Get onto CIS. Countdown to kickoff.

It should be noted that cold beer can be substituted (insert beverage of choice in its place).

Don't take the cheese, we win. Play "Golden ball", we win.

Start playing "self" ball we'll get embarrassed. That simple.

Advertisement
Back