Your 2016 Miami Hurricane Redshirts

Advertisement
what porters CIS username? would imagine he has multiple cuz theres always a couple knuckleheads around here defending the south florida "reporters"

Advertisement
I'm not super familiar with the rules but can't you get redshirted if you play under a certain number of plays in the first three weeks? Like, playing one or two snaps doesn't automatically burn your redshirt?

Think of it like this to keep it as simple as memorable as possible: Play 1 play, and you're no longer entitled to the automatic RS. The only way you can get that 1 automatic RS season is if you don't play a single snap.

If you play a single play, you have to suffer a season-ending injury to RS. There are no exceptions to that rule that I've seen. If guys have gotten away with playing during a game and still received a RS without a season-ending injury it's because their school snuck it past the NCAA by lying about participation.

How strict is the season ending injury criteria though?
For instance in the NFL, players are put on IR as a way of hiding them a way if the team thinks putting them on the practice squad is too risky.
So couldn't the school just say that the player suffered a concussion or something, show that they went to a doctor a few times, and didn't want to risk playing him the rest of the season?

I'm not super familiar with the rules but can't you get redshirted if you play under a certain number of plays in the first three weeks? Like, playing one or two snaps doesn't automatically burn your redshirt?

Think of it like this to keep it as simple as memorable as possible: Play 1 play, and you're no longer entitled to the automatic RS. The only way you can get that 1 automatic RS season is if you don't play a single snap.

If you play a single play, you have to suffer a season-ending injury to RS. There are no exceptions to that rule that I've seen. If guys have gotten away with playing during a game and still received a RS without a season-ending injury it's because their school snuck it past the NCAA by lying about participation.

this

For instance in the NFL, players are put on IR as a way of hiding them a way if the team thinks putting them on the practice squad is too risky.
So couldn't the school just say that the player suffered a concussion or something, show that they went to a doctor a few times, and didn't want to risk playing him the rest of the season?
NFL teams putguys on IR because they can't waste a roster spot.

College teams can sit a kid and then possibly gain a year of eligibility.

So so I have no clue what you are getting at.

Advertisement
Porter is probably in Boone partying with the cowbells. Please excuse his lack of focus while he tries to handle the herd.

NFL teams put players on INJURED RESERVE, which is supposed to be for injured players, even when they do not have an actual season ending injury. For Instance the Raiders stached Marquette King on IR when they still had Lechler, because he "had a wrist injury" or whatever. So my point is that after a player has played sparingly (little enough to still receive a medical RS) and it is obvious they aren't going to contribute during the non cupcake portion of our schedule, can't we just kinda BS our way to getting these guys the medical waiver by saying they have concussions or some other injury?

NFL teams put players on INJURED RESERVE, which is supposed to be for injured players, even when they do not have an actual season ending injury. For Instance the Raiders stached Marquette King on IR when they still had Lechler, because he "had a wrist injury" or whatever. So my point is that after a player has played sparingly (little enough to still receive a medical RS) and it is obvious they aren't going to contribute during the non cupcake portion of our schedule, can't we just kinda BS our way to getting these guys the medical waiver by saying they have concussions or some other injury?

Again, NFL teams use IR because of roster limitations. So comparing them to college doesn't make any sense.

Again, NFL teams use IR because of roster limitations. So comparing them to college doesn't make any sense.

It's a fair comparison. They're both using exaggerated or fake injuries to circumvent rules and retain a player for longer.

Advertisement
Richt has said more than once that he won't decide who redshirts until after the fourth game. That's because guys who are playing may get injured and be eligible for a medical redshirt. Those injuries may also make it necessary to play someone he intended to redshirt. Bottom line is that it is much clearer who will get a redshirt after the possible medicals are clear. Keep in mind that redshirts are declared at the end of the season, not now.

Also, in order to have a chance at a sixth year of eligibility, you have to have lost 2 years to medical problems. That's why teams will try for a medical redshirt anytime someone redshirts. It just makes sense to do that just in case. Although you rarely see a six year player.

I'm hoping UM isn't dopey enough to get in bed with kids to cook up dumb schemes to run frauds on the NCAA.

How great would it be 4 years from after Jeff James gets kicked out for something he doesn't think he should be kicked out for and starts yapping to reporters or the NCAA about how he was never hurt but Rick forced him to go to doctor a couple times to dummy up a fake season-ending injury? Never happens? Check the jilted chick from the Grace/AQM debacle.

Just do **** the right way. If you want to RS James, then don't give him a couple meaningless reps against a team you can beat by 80.

If you decide to play him against FAMU then just be ready to have him run down on kick coverage all year. But don't cook up frauds with a player who might turn on you and fck you up a few years later.

Advertisement
Back