You guys see Gunter playing safety last couple of drives?

Advertisement
I've been pleading for Gunter to get a look at safety since the summer....

Why the **** not. You need as much athleticism and cover ability as you can get out there....plus Gunter has never been shy when it comes to contact and is a good enough tackler to play safety.

I like it.....alot. Especially given our alternatives.

I think it depends on Burns and Crawford. Gunter is too valuable at corner to move him unless someone else can contribute. Burns took some lumps today but he hung tough. Looking like another guy that has earned the coaches trust and we can adjust our team accordingly.

I mentioned this on here a few times. He has good build , tackles well, plays physical and good in coverage . Our depth at Safety is already not great and cb is, seems like a good move. At least use it in certain situations.

Advertisement
I didn't notice that, good eye.

I like the look, honestly. Especially with what we've got available for us at safety right now. (Sidenote: We need a stud safety in this class, maybe JuCo, lehgo!).

But JHall is right. He's been great for us at corner and is quite valuable to us there. Gonna depend on how the other guys look. Crawford played well today and Burns has looked good this year despite some miscues today (that third and long that went for 20+ yards or whatever was a beautiful ball, and Artie was right there...not good enough, but...he's the truth).

I agree with Gunter at safety. Which Miami coach said something like, "i'd get a CB, bulk him up and put him at safety. I'd get a safety and put him and linebacker, linebacker to DE, DE to DT"? His strategy obviously was speed and athleticism beat bulk and strength

There is a very very high chance they move Gunter to safety next year. Our numbers will be fine at CB but our safety numbers are gonna be scary.

Yes it saw that too... 21 played very good today... I would hope to see this against FSU... Bush migh just have. Wait till next year

Advertisement
Gunter played safety throughout the game, not all game because we rotate but it happened earlier than last couple drives

It'd be nice to have a S who can play the ball opposite Jenkins. We've seen atrocious angles from S's trying to make the tackle repeatedly so it's not like we'd see a dropoff in that regard.

It isn't always as simple as saying, "Hey, he can cover at CB and he's a solid tackler, he'll make a great S" but I do believe Gunter is comfortable looking at the QB and moving forward, rather than moving backwards all the time like a CB does.

Evaluating S play is generally pretty tough, but ours has been so bad at times this year you don't need to see the All-22 to evaluate angles, coverage zones etc. because we've tended to be out of position a ton.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Artie should play safety.... Gunter is to good of a corner.

I love Artie and Gunter but you think Artie is physically ready? Gunter is a grown *** man out there, built like a safety and fearless.

Artie is bigger then Deon Bush was his freshman year, and he can hit too.

He can use his athleticism and roam the field and make plays regardless of mental mistakes, i'd put him out there over AJ HIghsmith w/o thinking twice about it.

I just dont want Gunter at safety at the expense of the cornerback position.

Artie isnt ready to go against FSU's receivers.... and Gunter is our best option at trying to defend Benjamin.

I'd prefer not putting a true freshmen at safety. I'd much rather him play his normal nickel or dime cb. It's bad buisness having a puppy as your last line of defense.

Advertisement
Back