Coaching You can write off Kendal Briles from the list of OC candidates.

Andre The Giant No GIF
This gif gets me everytime haha

Advertisement
Didn't Mario mention in an interview that his timeline was to have his staff in place by the big recruiting weekend (Elite Prospect Day)? Understandably, nothing is for certain as I believe the JCandle report, and he would've likely been the guy at OC, but as it happens in business dealings from time to time, it didn't fall through...so we're on the next candidate.

Meanwhile, it has been eerily silent on the DC front....

However, above all else things, I do trust that Mario knows what he's doing.....and so.....we wait lol

Advertisement
Didn't Mario mention in an interview that his timeline was to have his staff in place by the big recruiting weekend (Elite Prospect Day)? Understandably, nothing is for certain as I believe the JCandle report, and he would've likely been the guy at OC, but as it happens in business dealings from time to time, it didn't fall through...so we're on the next candidate.

Meanwhile, it has been eerily silent on the DC front....

However, above all else things, I do trust that Mario knows what he's doing.....and so.....we wait lol
It seems like yesterday when we waited first patiently and later frustratingly impatiently for Randy Shannon to hire an OC. Fully expecting an eventual, resulting dynamic hire, Ole Randy hired Patrick Nix stating how difficult it was to defend against Nix's Ga. Tech offense.

Yes, thoroughness carried to the extreme potentially explodes into fatal indecisiveness.

It seems like yesterday when we waited first patiently and later frustratingly impatiently for Randy Shannon to hire an OC. Fully expecting an eventual, resulting dynamic hire, Ole Randy hired Patrick Nix stating how difficult it was to defend against Nix's Ga. Tech offense.

Yes, thoroughness carried to the extreme potentially explodes into fatal indecisiveness.
Being unqualified for the job also didn’t help in that case.

Good to see you back on here, btw.

Advertisement
some are saying they want ruggiero in the mega thread. for those who want him, why is that? figured this deserved a spot in the OC thread...

There are other metrics that judge efficiency, I'm not cherry picking here I just really like the correlation between yards per play and success and the numbers are rough on Ruggiero

Wake Forest YPP under Ruggiero

2014 - 3.0 yards per play - ranked 128 out 128 and DOWN from 4.1 from previous OC in 2013. next closest team was 127th ranked S Methodist at 3.8 ypp
2015 - 4.3 yards per play - ranked 119th
2016 - 4.3 yards per play - ranked 125th
2017 - 6.1 yards per play - ranked 25th (john wolford senior year)
2018 - 5.2 yards per play - ranked 90th
2019 - 5.5 yards per play - ranked 74th
2020 - 5.2 yards per play - ranked 82nd
2021 - 5.8 yards per play - ranked 48th (Sam Hartman senior year - coming back for super senior year in 2022)

factual information, no bias.

he's bad when he doesn't have a VERY experienced QB, and even then he's decent.

he had good offenses at bowling green back in the day (but didn't everyone) however since we're in the ACC as well, it seems we have all the relevant info we need on him.

some are saying they want ruggiero in the mega thread. for those who want him, why is that? figured this deserved a spot in the OC thread...

There are other metrics that judge efficiency, I'm not cherry picking here I just really like the correlation between yards per play and success and the numbers are rough on Ruggiero

Wake Forest YPP under Ruggiero

2014 - 3.0 yards per play - ranked 128 out 128 and DOWN from 4.1 from previous OC in 2013. next closest team was 127th ranked S Methodist at 3.8 ypp
2015 - 4.3 yards per play - ranked 119th
2016 - 4.3 yards per play - ranked 125th
2017 - 6.1 yards per play - ranked 25th (john wolford senior year)
2018 - 5.2 yards per play - ranked 90th
2019 - 5.5 yards per play - ranked 74th
2020 - 5.2 yards per play - ranked 82nd
2021 - 5.8 yards per play - ranked 48th (Sam Hartman senior year - coming back for super senior year in 2022)

factual information, no bias.

he's bad when he doesn't have a VERY experienced QB, and even then he's decent.

he had good offenses at bowling green back in the day (but didn't everyone) however since we're in the ACC as well, it seems we have all the relevant info we need on him.
Analytics over that same span make Candle look like Bieniemy. Wake has been really good over the past 2 years, but most of his career, going back to Bowling Green, his offenses graded out in triple digits.

Analytics over that same span make Candle look like Bieniemy. Wake has been really good over the past 2 years, but most of his career, going back to Bowling Green, his offenses graded out in triple digits.
I agree,

Who's on your radar @Dan E. Dangerously ? I have no idea where Mario is headed but I hope we go for someone proven and if it's an up and comer, I'm hoping for someone who has shown success as a play caller to some extent

Advertisement

"Most" is hyperbole, but if you weren't sold on Candle because of advanced stats, Ruggiero ain't who you'd like either. He has steadily improved though at Wake.

Wake Forest
2021: 10th
2020: 33rd
2019: 55th
2018: 63rd
2017: 21st
2016: 99th
2015: 114th
2014: 116th

Bowling Green
2013: 36th
2012: 103rd