YOU are the HC (new or current) at Miami, what would YOU do?

I'd tell him to pursue his dreams and try to catch a roster spot at the next level. We appreciate everything he's done for the university and he's welcome back to work out with the team, use facilities anytime. However, it's best for his teammates to get a burn at the QB spot.

The kid is going to be exposed to brutal honesty in a working man's world, it's best to keep it that way with him early on.

Advertisement
What would YOU do if D’eriq King walks into your office during the winter, and says he wants to take advantage of a medical RS, return and compete, but he wants to know where YOU stand. If you rather turn the page to the youngins, then he will bow out and away from Miami gracefully. He is expected to be fully recovered and get his Chris Weinke on.

What would YOU tell him?

Curious if or how these opinions may change at the end of the year depending how TVD and or Garcia perform.
Young man, no one doubts your passion or heart. With that said, there is no QB1 future here, but we'd love to have you as a graduate assistant. That is where I believe your professional future path will take you.

I understand if you feel differently and want to seek an opportunity elsewhere. No matter where you go, in our conference or out, I'd be happy to give my full endorsement to that staff.

What can we do to retain you on our staff?

Advertisement
You would give him time there over X and Brashard? I don’t think so
Yea but he shouldn’t be playing qb over the young guys
We need to do like uva and just him all over the field
Even this year that’s how we should use him if he comes back
But lashlee has no creativity in his schemes

What would YOU do if D’eriq King walks into your office during the winter, and says he wants to take advantage of a medical RS, return and compete, but he wants to know where YOU stand. If you rather turn the page to the youngins, then he will bow out and away from Miami gracefully. He is expected to be fully recovered and get his Chris Weinke on.

What would YOU tell him?

Curious if or how these opinions may change at the end of the year depending how TVD and or Garcia perform.
I take all QBs and experience I can get in that room. Absolutely ask him to stay. Regardless of how people feel about King, he is super supportive as an elder in the QB room.

Advertisement
I'd welcome him back with open arms. He's someone I'd want in my locker room. Especially if I'm a new coach. I don't think he'd be a locker room cancer if he had to be benched. And if that did happen, I'd give him every opportunity to switch positions.
I want him to stick around as a grad assistant anyway.

I let him come back and COMPETE for the job. I'd run the O I want to run, and he runs it best, so be it. If someone does it better, they get the job. It sure as heck wouldn't be the end of the world to have him as an option.

What I wouldn't do is tell him he's the starter if he returns.

I'd tell him thanks for being someone who led by example in THE OLD REGIME, but in good conciseness I couldn't send him back out behind that O-line until we can fix it.

As the new guy, I'd institute a one-two player recruiting limit on Dade for a couple years and fire up my staff to go out and find more football ready talent around the state and nation.

We haven't won anything for a couple of decades now, the local Blue Chippers know that better than anyone, and they haven't come here. It seems many of the players that do come, may come with the athleticism, but not with the basic skills (or intangibles), like technique or discipline they should have mastered in high school (We shouldn't have to focus so **** much on teaching corners to turn to look for the ball, blocking, tacking to 3rd, 4th and 5th year college football players. They had no problem facing inferior payers when they were the biggest stud on the field in HS; then they can't against somebody with equal talent?). Consequently, we spend too much time on getting them up to speed, rather than developing them. Or, they're simply head cases that don't pan out or that have helped define the culture.

Slowly return to local recruiting after you've esablished your program and culture and established a more varied recruiting range. By then, the local talent might realize you've only been going after two of them each cycle. If they see you're making strides towards winning, it might motivate some to stay home. Why? Because we've relied way too much on the bottom of the barrel talent that's been left for the Canes to grab after it's been cherry-picked.

For a new regime, it's easier to establish a change in culture to incoming freshman, then to change a culture that's been perpetuated at Miami since the winning days - the only thing the players failed to notice, is they talked the talk of a winning future that was left them by others but they just didn't walk the walk. They been living on a swagger check a different type player from another generation of Hurricane athletes cashed, and they've driven bounced that check and driven the program into the dirt.

All this takes time, and this fan base ran out of that a while back.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
We need players like King. Especially his leadership and mentality. Put him at slot, wildcat, even returner. Utilize his skills to the fullest. Just not at full-time QB.

I'll tell you what I'd do, man; two chicks at the same time. I always wanted to do that, man. And if I were the head coach at Miami I could hook that up too, cuz chick's dig dudes who coach.

I think King is a team player and if he didn’t win the QB battle could play some slot and be mixed in for Red Zone and short yardage situations at QB.

Advertisement
Back