Yale/NBA cheap and fast saliva test.

I have no idea.

And…They’re paid...college sports, are more revered than pro, imo. But they’re also more accessible because they’re student-athletes; they‘re supposed to be like the rest of the student athletes. And, when there’s an outbreak on acampus — and there will be — the parents of those affected will say, “why are football players being tested 1x-3x/wk and the student-body are not being tested/protected”…it WILL be an overreacation, but that **** makes the news.

That is what the college presidents don’t want. It’s not about playing football.
Between the two options, I'm of the opinion the worse optic would be if the unpaid, amateur athletes were not getting regular, rapid tests. We just saw a sliver of that at f$u (irregular testing and suspect contact tracing).

Advertisement
Between the two options, I'm of the opinion the worse optic would be if the unpaid, amateur athletes were not getting regular, rapid tests. We just saw a sliver of that at f$u (irregular testing and suspect contact tracing).
That’s bad too. Which is why the FSU‘s and VT’s of the world can **** it up off everybody.

All of these states will be going through some form of budget challenges in the wake of COVID-19. Football coaches will be the highest paid employees in these states. If a campus has an out break and the football team is isolated, I think they’ll be blamed. Football and players are always blamed.

I’m usually a skeptic of testing proclamations that sound to good to be true, but I’ve read up on this, and it sounds really good.

I need to learn more about the actual procedure that gives the binary answer (positive: yes/no).

My only concern is that how hard will this be to scale up in a short period of time.

The other two types of tests (pcr and antibody) have scaling issues, hence the current delay in getting results back, due to complex logistics because of labor bottlenecks and other issues in the testing chain (just one of the various bottlenecks, you need licensed technicians/technologists input at various steps, even during automated runs).

Since the saliva method tests specimens with a dualplex quantitative reverse transcription PCR (RT-qPCR) assay, I would anticipate there would be some rate slowing steps in obtaining rapid results for many samples in a short period of time, but I don’t know enough about the process, and I’ve looked pretty hard, to determine if this is really an issue or not. I’m just guessing that it might be.

In any event, this is the third (fourth if you count the slow Abbot analyzers) to become available, and it looks like they are attempting to ramp up quickly.

Great news, on a worldwide basis...and as some said may end up being more transformational than a vaccine which no one actually knows when it will be mass produced.

I’m usually a skeptic of testing proclamations that sound to good to be true, but I’ve read up on this, and it sounds really good.

I need to learn more about the actual procedure that gives the binary answer (positive: yes/no).

My only concern is that how hard will this be to scale up in a short period of time.

The other two types of tests (pcr and antibody) have scaling issues, hence the current delay in getting results back, due to complex logistics because of labor bottlenecks and other issues in the testing chain (just one of the various bottlenecks, you need licensed technicians/technologists input at various steps, even during automated runs).

Since the saliva method tests specimens with a dualplex quantitative reverse transcription PCR (RT-qPCR) assay, I would anticipate there would be some rate slowing steps in obtaining rapid results for many samples in a short period of time, but I don’t know enough about the process, and I’ve looked pretty hard, to determine if this is really an issue or not. I’m just guessing that it might be.

In any event, this is the third (fourth if you count the slow Abbot analyzers) to become available, and it looks like they are attempting to ramp up quickly.

Great news, on a worldwide basis...and as some said may end up being more transformational than a vaccine which no one actually knows when it will be mass produced.
Very good post from someone (I presume) not in the medical field. You are making effort to read up and educate yourself, something I wish more people do. I just want to add couple of things.
First, scaling is a matter of resources and funding. We are the richest and most resourceful country in the world. If we have the will we should easily accomplish effective testing policy.

Second, the available tests you mentioned PCR and antibodies test, each has a completely different role. One is a "viral" test to detect if parts of the virus RNA is present denoting ACTIVE infection while the antibodies test is and indication of PREVIOUS infection. It has no role of determining whether someone is capable of infecting others. It could take 2-3 weeks after the the infection for the antibodies to be detected in the blood. Most patients are "viral negative" by then.

One more thing. In addition to the standard PCR test that was developed by CDC in early 2020, Quidel corporation (couple of miles from my home in San Diego) developed a very fast (15 minutes) viral test based on its Antigen Flourescent Immunassy technology that been used to test for original SARS Covid virus (pandemic novel SARS actual name is SARS Cov-2). This test has been validated and approved by the FDA and you get the result before you get back home from the test site. It is done on site at parking lots in Southern California and the specimen is NOT sent to a lab. I had this done twice already since I work with Covid-19 patients. The main issue with this test it is not cheap. If we have government subsidy and scaling this test is superior to PCR because of ease and speed. Also it can be done at doctors offices and urgent cares, etc.

https://www.medtechdive.com/news/qu...-test-is-now-on-par-with-pcr-accuracy/581902/

Last edited:
Very good post from someone (I presume) not in the medical field. You are making effort to read up and educate yourself, something I wish more people do. I just want to add couple of things.
First, scaling is a matter of resources and funding. We are the richest and most resourceful country in the world. If we have the will we should easily accomplish effective testing policy.

Second, the available tests you mentioned PCR and antibodies test, each has a completely different role. One is a "viral" test to detect if parts of the virus RNA is present denoting ACTIVE infection while the antibodies test is and indication of PREVIOUS infection. It has no role of determining whether someone is capable of infecting others. It could take 2-3 weeks after the the infection for the antibodies to be detected in the blood. Most patients are "viral negative" by then.

One more thing. In addition to the standard PCR test that was developed by CDC in early 2020, Quidel corporation (couple of miles from my home in San Diego) developed a very fast (15 minutes) viral test based on its Antigen Flourescent Immunassy technology that been used to test for original SARS Covid virus (pandemic novel SARS actual name is SARS Cov-2). This test has been validated and approved by the FDA and you get the result before you get back home from the test site. It is done on site at parking lots in Southern California and the specimen is NOT sent to a lab. I had this done twice already since I work with Covid-19 patients. The main issue with this test it is not cheap. If we have government subsidy and scaling this test is superior to PCR because of ease and speed. Also it can be done at doctors offices and urgent cares, etc.

https://www.medtechdive.com/news/qu...-test-is-now-on-par-with-pcr-accuracy/581902/
Thanks, I might add that scaling is not only a matter of resources and funding.

As I mentioned in my prior post, scaling also involves a labor (and time) component.

Specifically with running laboratory tests, one of the limits is number of available technical personnel, a finite resource. Qualified personnel licensed to run, maintain and keep quality control standards on any procedure/test/machine equipment is a huge issue. They can’t be made and appropriated like a widget. Another is basic time/logistical issues. For example, with the Abbot tests. The technology is currently poorly adapted to scaling up on a massive scale due to the limits of tests per machine over time.

So, I don’t know enough about the saliva test labor/tone/equipment issues to understand if there may be scaling issues due to the aforementioned factors.

As far as the test you mentioned, I’m not familiar with it or the corporation, I don’t know enough to comment. Sounds like expense is an issue.

Advertisement
Thread Reply Ban - Don’t Even Mention Effing Politics
A big part of it is that people are constantly being sold something in the name of science. The entire anti-vax movement is based on a study published in The Lancet in 1997. It was proven inaccurate but people just say it's because "they" didn't want the public to know.
That's the problem. There are too many Americans who hold onto the findings of one study and choose to ignore or discredit hundreds of other studies whose findings differ completely with that individual study which is then found to be inaccurate. This can be found in global warming where the vast majority of scientists find it is a real issue, but a significant amount of Americans think there is no such thing.

There is a large number of Americans who really want to think life is more thrilling than it actually is. Everything is a conspiracy. Isn't it more exciting to think "they" don't want the public to know vaccines are dangerous instead of that vaccines are scientifically studied and are very safe? Think of the number of individuals that would need to be in on such a plan, think about the total lack of respect for human life that you would have to expect a huge number of people to possess.

The scary thing is, this type of thinking is seeping its way into politics on both sides.

I was 10 when the Salk polio vaccine became available. There was no debate or questioning that ALL kids would get it ASAP! We did, and polio was pretty much eradicated.

If any parents objected (which I don't think happened), I believe they would've been rolled over by the powers-that-be like a lump of dirt under a steamroller. In the name of science and for the general good!
Talk about a game changer.....
Salk, Sabin and all the others who developed the vaccines made a great contribution to our lives....

Summer was scary ..... parents worried about their kids getting infected.

I remember the poor kids in iron lungs.

The great composer Doc Pomus, who was partially paralyzed from polio as a child, wrote the classic song, Save the Last Dance for Me, for his wife so she could dance at their wedding celebration (since he couldn’t dance with her).

Thread Reply Ban - You know Why
The scary thing is, this type of thinking is seeping its way into anime on both sides.

@RVA Cane

AbsoluteScholarlyFirefly-max-1mb.gif

Advertisement
Dude, I like you like a number of others on here. I really don’t want to go thread banning you or others in every thread you don’t care about, especially since I’m the only Maude taking on this task.

So if people are going to repeat the behavior, I’m going to start reply banning them from an entire forum for a week, so if they repeatedly do this in Eye of the Sky, they won’t be able to post on that board for a week.

@Andrew , I’m about to step up disciplinary action accordingly to repeat offenders.

Edit: Andrew i don’t have the ability to ban from portions of the board so I’m just going to ban them from CIS until that’s worked out.

Last edited:
Talk about a game changer.....
Salk, Sabin and all the others who developed the vaccines made a great contribution to our lives....

Summer was scary ..... parents worried about their kids getting infected.

I remember the poor kids in iron lungs.

The great composer Doc Pomus, who was partially paralyzed from polio as a child, wrote the classic song, Save the Last Dance for Me, for his wife so she could dance at their wedding celebration (since he couldn’t dance with her).

Yep, before the vaccine, I recall my mom telling my brother and I to "roll up the windows" in our car when we drove through certain areas known to have a current polio outbreak. With no air conditioned cars in those days, it was ****. Plus, I doubt it really did any good but ... that was accepted practice in the early 1950s!

Advertisement
Back