Xzavier Henderson Hits the Portal

I understand man. With Henderson, and $ being = I’d like to think that he’d rather be at home than let’s say Louisville but I don’t say that with any confidence, even if we matched them.

At least we picked up some solid guys in the first wave who will play big roles on both sides of the ball. We’re really going to have to show something on the field on Offense and that means Dawson is going to have to do more with less. Something that would be a nice change.
Largely agree, but I'm not willing to concede a nothing-burger for this round. We promised to be 'aggressive' in the portal (meaning NOW) and a couple shiny new toys at either wr, dt, or cb are sorely needed.

Advertisement
I don’t think they can overpay for Henderson level talent and accomplishments. I think they’ll have to overpay to get someone but they need to get someone who’s a real upgrade to what we have. Henderson would help but he’s not nearly accomplished enough to overpay for. I think they’d pay for a real difference making talent… or at least try to.
Don’t really care for Henderson but they’re going to have to take a risk and “overpay” for someone. I don’t see them having a shot with a proven difference making talent. If one does jump in like the UTSA guy, they’re going to be highly sought after and significantly more expensive. This doesn’t only apply to WR, we desperately need to add another DT or 2 plus a CB and seem to be running into the same “don’t Want to overpay” there as well.

Don’t really care for Henderson but they’re going to have to take a risk and “overpay” for someone. I don’t see them having a shot with a proven difference making talent. If one does jump in like the UTSA guy, they’re going to be highly sought after and significantly more expensive. This doesn’t only apply to WR, we desperately need to add another DT or 2 plus a CB and seem to be running into the same “don’t Want to overpay” there as well.
I think they’d pay for a legit WR talent. They must have paid for Cohen at OL. The issue will be landing one if the bags are remotely close.

Starting to think our issue in the portal is guarantees. Not necessarily a recruiting issue per say.
That’s probably part of it. The answer is to get someone so good that it isn’t an issue. There aren’t a lot of those guys though at WR and CB

Advertisement
I think they’d pay for a legit WR talent. They must have paid for Cohen at OL. The issue will be landing one if the bags are remotely close.
I have no doubt they paid for Cohen but I also recall there being talk of him having to battle Booker for his spot next year and a guaranteed spot here may have given us a better value. I don’t think they’re opposed to paying it’s just the EBay auction is almost over and there’s little time left for value shopping.

I have no doubt they paid for Cohen but I also recall there being talk of him having to battle Booker for his spot next year and a guaranteed spot here may have given us a better value. I don’t think they’re opposed to paying it’s just the EBay auction is almost over and there’s little time left for value shopping.
Booker????

I think it should be a layup but there are no layups at WR in reality because Mario’s track record on Offense was only made worse by Mario in year 1.

I don’t blame them for not letting Henderson fleece them. He’s not good enough. If they’re going to get fleeced then get someone better.
If he's asking for a lot of money then he's not a "layup", because he's not worth a lot. He has a LOT to prove himself. You talk of Marios track record, but Henderson's track record thus far is that of a solid WR, not a star worth throwing the bank at.

If he's asking for a lot of money then he's not a "layup", because he's not worth a lot. He has a LOT to prove himself. You talk of Marios track record, but Henderson's track record thus far is that of a solid WR, not a star worth throwing the bank at.
Don’t disagree with Henderson being neither established nor worth bagging up based on his record of performance at UiF.

He’d be a good addition without many conditions and could potentially help but he hasn’t done anything to warrant bagging up IMO.

Advertisement
Yeah a good one but here’s the problem - I bet the good ones won’t come here because it’s not worth the risk and they get big enough bags at places with better recent track records. It’s worse than people on here think.

We can’t even pay for elite level quality at certain positions if we want and try to because we’re a red flag risk.

This sucks bits the worst thing that can happen in this situation. Our only hope is to hit on some evals and show a lot of promise on the field at WR and QB this year. Scary.
That's the crazy thing we have the money, QB, and coordinator and still can't convince portal WRs. Even guys from south florida. At least they have a ton of traction with high school guys this cycle because it looks like what we have now we'll have to go into the 2023 season with

Do people not realize that the only deadline is one where athletes have to declare for the portal which is in a couple of days.

We can sign/add through summer and fall camp.

Just because the declaration deadline ends in a couple of days doesn’t mean that we can’t get one of those people in a week or month or six weeks or two months or whatever.

There’s going to be a fixed pool of people available in a couple of days , then we’ll see who gets who…over time.

Advertisement
Do people not realize that the only deadline is one where athletes have to declare for the portal which is in a couple of days.

Just because the declaration deadline ends in a couple of days doesn’t mean that we can’t get one of those people in a week or month or six weeks or two months or whatever.

There’s going to be a fixed pool of people available in a couple of days , then we’ll see who gets who…over time.
People here know they're just impatient af and not grabbing portal guys quickly fuels the Mario is too slow in the portal game narrative

Yes, the deadline to sign guys out of the portal runs for months but let's be real, the best guys aren't sitting around in the portal waiting to be offered. They're usually snatched up pretty quickly.

Yes, the deadline to sign guys out of the portal runs for months but let's be real, the best guys aren't sitting around in the portal waiting to be offered. They're usually snatched up pretty quickly.

The best guys already know where they’re going before their portal announcement, much less officially go into the portal. That’s been obvious from the start.

Advertisement
The best guys already know where they’re going before their portal announcement, much less officially go into the portal. That’s been obvious from the start.
Aside from the best guys who already have a predetermined destination most guys who can be considered contributors and have options will be making their decisions before summer A sessions start sometime in May. After tomorrow the pool of talent is what it is and as more time passes that pool gets smaller and smaller with the exception of a rare grad transfer.

The longer you wait to sign guys out of the portal, the fewer good players are left in it. You're pretty much picking over the leftovers after a bit.

The longer you wait to sign guys out of the portal, the fewer good players are left in it. You're pretty much picking over the leftovers after a bit.

I guess. This is only been going on for a couple of years. When did we get Mesidor last year?

Advertisement
Back