Xzavier Henderson Hits the Portal

Advertisement
I am rooting like **** for Jacolby George as he is a Plantation High guy. But he has played 15 games with 20 catches for 313 yards and is coming off an injury. If he stays healthy, I fully agree that he ends up more productive than Henderson in '23. But, we can't take anything for granted.

I also agree that Joseph will end up being significantly better than Henderson, and could very well be next year. But, we can't take anything for granted, as he hasn't played a college snap.

Eventually, R. Washington may also be better than Henderson, but that isn't probable in '23.

Even if you don't think he's very good (and I don't), Henderson is a clear take due to our current (and '24) situation.
Ray Ray serves a different role. Even though he can fly, he can also make guys miss in the short game. Henderson doesn’t do that.

Advertisement
While I’m not saying don’t take him, those stats are Not similar lol. The amount of catches is similar, but Rambo did far more with them then Henderson - which is kinda the point…. Rambo wasn’t the top WR on Oklahoma from what I remember. And That’s 345 less yards on only 3 less catches. And he’s supposed to be a deep threat. Rambo averaged 15.5 ypr then got 14.8 ypr at Miami. Henderson only averages 11.4 ypr. That is significantly worse - especially for a guy that would be our deep threat. Plus Hendersons had a 0.069 TD rate. Rambo had almost double that of 0.12 TD rate.

Now you wanna say the reason for that is entirely scheme, ok. But Rambo’s production was definitively better.

Tough to get your YPR up when you’re running bubble screens all game.

Advertisement
Advertisement
If this guy comes here and your favorites don't play...its because they stink. I have dubbed this the Jeremiah Payton Effect.

Henderson seems - to me - like a guy that just takes over the role Keyshawn Smith was supposed to have. And he seems like an upgrade from Smith.

If this guy comes here and your favorites don't play...its because they stink. I have dubbed this the Jeremiah Payton Effect.

Henderson seems - to me - like a guy that just takes over the role Keyshawn Smith was supposed to have. And he seems like an upgrade from Smith.

But can he catch out of bounces…

Charleston Rambo caught 76 passes for 1180 yards and 9 TDs in three seasons at OU before he came here.

And that's in a Lincoln Riley offense playing with Spencer Rattler, Jalen Hurts, and Kyler Murray.

Xzavier Henderson has caught 73 passes for 835 yards and 5 TDs in three seasons at Florida, playing with Anthony Richardson, Emory Jones, and Kyle Trask.

Rambo was 6'1 and 177 at the combine and ran high 4.5.

Henderson is at least 6'2 and probably close to 200 pounds, and I'd be shocked if he was any slower than Rambo.

So we have a guy with similar production in a far worse scheme with far worse QBs, who is bigger and probably faster than the best WR we've had here in a decade (more?), and some of you are questioning whether or not we should take him on the roster when the downside is literally zero? It's not like we're giving up a first-round pick here, guys. He just enrolls and starts playing. If he sucks, then he stands next to the rest of the receivers who suck on the sidelines and waves a towel. I'm so confused as to why this is even a discussion? He's not my first choice if I could have any WR in America by any means, but how is it anything other than a very good chance to take (and I won't use the word "risk" because there's literally no risk). Our WRs sucked donkey **** last year. Period. We did absolutely nothing other than bring in a couple true freshmen. This kid is in his 4th year in a S&C program and has been practicing and playing against SEC athletes for 3 years. Take this kid immediately. And then keep looking for someone even better, because that's how much help we need.

I thought Henderson was faster than 4.5.

Advertisement
Jaelen Phillips? Addison was signed delivered to USC..we just signed the number 1 & 3 OT..so to say we will never get that caliber athlete is not true. But you have to a track record. At WR we don’t quite have that. A place like USC had Riley’s resume with WRs & the chance to play with a top 2 future NFL pick with Williams..a kid like Addison wasn’t going to USC 4 years ago
What are u talking about Phillips was retired and nobody wanted him. Recruiting 5*s out of high school is completely different from a stud transfer portal player such as Addison. Dude was the biletnikoff winner. I have no clue what ur trying to argue my point over bc u completely missed it. Stay off Meth

I've been going back and forth on this one.

Can he help us? Maybe. Can he hurt us? Probably not.

But it's not a definite yes "he'll help".

I actually don't feel like we really need help at WR unless they're a clear cut WR1 stud. We have enough "average" WRs who can stretch the field and do damage in a wide open concept.

I'd rather tell him "no" to send a message. If he was a stud it would be different.

I felt the same way about Ladson. Kids can't keep on spurning us out of HS only to return when things didn't work out like they hoped (especially if they're just average).

If they're studs like Tyrique, then that's different. But a kid like this who isn't really going to make a difference in the W/L column? I'd pass.
We have no one at the position as fast as him on the outside. So i would bring him in for that. Ray Ray and Robby or inside guys and probably used as such. I wanna put teams in a bind. Fast slot guy and Colbie on one side, this guy on the other or vica versa. Plus fast Tailback in the back field

Advertisement
Back