Xavier Johnson/2021

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Good write up on the young man.

Go Canes

Played for a sorry school, no camp circuit, no spring, likely no grades
Those factors can still allow a kid like this to slip through the cracks. It's puzzling how a kid like this doesn't have a recruiting profile(247, Rivals, ESPN). I'm sure he was miles ahead of his next most talented teammate, why not put him out there? I know about playing for a HS staff with no juice. It's a dream killer. Killed mine. Let me ask you guys, why did I have to make a Rivals profile for my teammate, brother and former Cane John Wood? Because my HS staff aside from our DC/DB coach had no juice. I know I wasn't U caliber but I held my own against and kicked the asses of my fair share of future D1 players, a few even played on Sundays. But the road ended for me when BA knocked us out of the playoffs '00 season. This kid however, is the size that I used to pray when I was an 8th grader I'd be at 17/18. He definitely ain't undersized and like OCG said, his film is flat out IMPRESSIVE...

Played for a sorry school, no camp circuit, no spring, likely no grades
Yes, you're probably right. That's a bad combination of circumstances in 2021, but I know it still happens. As a HS coach, I have an issue with coaches that won't try to get schools to look at their kids. As a coach, you have to do what it takes to get eyes on your kids. Whether it's sending them to camps, making profiles on recruiting sites, sending scout videos to college coaches, putting highlight videos on social media, etc. Whatever it takes.

Those factors can still allow a kid like this to slip through the cracks. It's puzzling how a kid like this doesn't have a recruiting profile(247, Rivals, ESPN). I'm sure he was miles ahead of his next most talented teammate, why not put him out there? I know about playing for a HS staff with no juice. It's a dream killer. Killed mine. Let me ask you guys, why did I have to make a Rivals profile for my teammate, brother and former Cane John Wood? Because my HS staff aside from our DC/DB coach had no juice. I know I wasn't U caliber but I held my own against and kicked the asses of my fair share of future D1 players, a few even played on Sundays. But the road ended for me when BA knocked us out of the playoffs '00 season. This kid however, is the size that I used to pray when I was an 8th grader I'd be at 17/18. He definitely ain't undersized and like OCG said, his film is flat out IMPRESSIVE...
American HS? Can't remember the last time they cared about football there.

Advertisement
Advertisement
*Cool Story*

remember playing basketball with john wood some nights in miramar in 02. Had to guard him becuase they just always say guard the big guy or hide a big guy on a guy they dont think is good. lol I was a fat boy with Jokic skills though. He had to earn it on defense with me lol

I think the only player that signed somewhere from South Broward was an OL who was like 6'5 270+ and he signed to Gardner Webb..and i think his dad was on their staff and they worked hard just to get that offer. If that kid was at Chaminade he would be group of 5 at worst. There's certains chools in south florida that still dont get the looks you would think

Advertisement
Back