X' & O's guys - our run game

None of the freshman WRs did much to set themselves apart either. I guess it's fair to wait and see what they accomplish in year 2 with a full slate of spring practices and normal-er offseason.
They rarely got playing time. And there appeared to be an insistence on playing Wiggins, Pope, and Harley regardless of how soft they are

Harley improved as the year progressed. Pope was Hit or Miss. Wiggins.. I have no words

And if the freshmen couldn't beat him out, then the WR room was ATROCIOUS!!
More likely, it came down to Manny playing favorites; if not.. Yikes

Advertisement
You don’t need that to have a strong run game. Spread them out, use wide splits for the oline and you have running lanes all night. Get out of the shotgun some and use pistol sometimes so you can show different looks and run counters, tosses, and not just dives and power. We just run the same plays over and over. The defense knows what is coming.
Yeah but these dudes can't win one on one blocks. I forget who showed the play, but the nose guard stood Gaynor up and held him at arms length, and then threw him to the opposite side the back was running to and then made the tackle.

Last edited:
  1. No counters.
  2. No Pulling 1 or 2 OL on run plays
  3. No H-Back plays that block across the formation or same side traps.
  4. No motioning Slot to backfield to help block or run quick swing passes.
  5. Lacks 2 TE power plays or option to pass from a 2 TE set.
  6. No Trips formations
  7. Limited WR route combinations
  8. No WR or TE coordinated pick plays
Watched a boatload of tape of almost every game.

1. False. Right of the top of my head I can remember Williams getting pulled vs VT.
2. False. See 1.
3. True.
4. True.
5. False. We have run RPOs from 2 TE sets.
6. False. We had a TD vs Pitt on a Trips formation.
7. False. Just watch the game...
8. False. See 6., out of trips, there a lot of rubs and picks.

If you want to criticize something, watch some tape before. Please...

What the freshmen WR's do in practice has very little affect on their playing time during games.
They'll kill it all week in practice. Coaches will tell them to "be ready Saturday". Then Saturday comes and they don't get in.

Cooney's boys always gotta get their reps first. Just understand that before you assume that none of them are separating themselves from the pack.

I personally think that Lashlee likes things to be ran his way a little too much and wont commit to what works unless things are falling apart.

He seems to like keeping the offense balanced at 50% run / 50% pass. We have had no run game all season. The moderate success we have had in the run game at times has all come on huge chunk plays which skews the stats.

He seems to like trying to run to set up the pass which has definitely worked but I think he should scheme differently.

I've said it before on here, but I think this team needs to be a 25% run / 75% pass team, and at least half of those runs should be King running.

None of our running backs are home run hitters. They are all niche backs like Travis Homer. The last true all-purpose back we had was DJ Dallas, and I don't see Harris, Chaney, or Knighton being that guy.

Since we don't have those dynamic runners, we need to pass to set up the run.

Remember the first drive against UNC. Threw the ball well, and two back to runs for nothing killed the drive. We don't have the players to run.

Advertisement
Awesome thread, @Samson Doyo . It's very refreshing to discuss actual football. Since for the most part it falls on the offensive line, let me ask two questions, preferably without the "we suck" mope answers.

1. Did the shortened offseason practice have this significant of an effect?
2. Will the problems be corrected to a large degree before next season?

Awesome thread, @Samson Doyo . It's very refreshing to discuss actual football. Since for the most part it falls on the offensive line, let me ask two questions, preferably without the "we suck" mope answers.

1. Did the shortened offseason practice have this significant of an effect?
2. Will the problems be corrected to a large degree before next season?
New OC and no spring did hurt, but I'm not sure this bunch would have gotten that much better in that short of time.

I look at run blocking like rebounding in basketball, you have to have guys with that get nasty type of work ethic to be really good, like it's 4th and 1 and we're running it down your throat and you can't stop it. So you have to have the attitude and the physical size and strength yo do that.

I do expect the o line to be better next year, they should be stronger and more comfortable with the system. Of all the position groups it takes the longest to build depth within this group. Will they be maulers no, but technique wise there should improvement.

DUKE - Mateo Bryant - 120 - 817 yds - 6.8 ypc
WAKE - Beal-Smith - 121 - 650 - 5.4 ypc
MIAMI - Cam Harris - 120 - 591 - 4.9 ypc

Would you trade Duke/Wake's OC & OL straight up for Miami's OC & OL?

If you answered No - then you should consider taking a closer, more critical look at our RB's performance.

Advertisement
I personally hate Lashlee's offense. Here's why I hate it:

1. No counters.
  2. No Pulling 1 or 2 OL on run plays
  3. No H-Back plays that block across the formation or same side traps.
  4. No motioning Slot to backfield to help block or run quick swing passes.
  5. Lacks 2 TE power plays or option to pass from a 2 TE set.
  6. No Trips formations
  7. Limited WR route combinations
  8. No WR or TE coordinated pick plays
Lmao he’s did everything on this list at least once. And we ****ed it up

I personally think that Lashlee likes things to be ran his way a little too much and wont commit to what works unless things are falling apart.

He seems to like keeping the offense balanced at 50% run / 50% pass. We have had no run game all season. The moderate success we have had in the run game at times has all come on huge chunk plays which skews the stats.

He seems to like trying to run to set up the pass which has definitely worked but I think he should scheme differently.

I've said it before on here, but I think this team needs to be a 25% run / 75% pass team, and at least half of those runs should be King running.

None of our running backs are home run hitters. They are all niche backs like Travis Homer. The last true all-purpose back we had was DJ Dallas, and I don't see Harris, Chaney, or Knighton being that guy.

Since we don't have those dynamic runners, we need to pass to set up the run.

Remember the first drive against UNC. Threw the ball well, and two back to runs for nothing killed the drive. We don't have the players to run.
Disagree to the 100th power.
Chaney and Knighton are way more explosive than Dallas. Knighton definitely has home run ability. He's the 2nd fastest guy on the team.
They're not getting any room to gallop.

Advertisement
Back