X' & O's guys - our run game

Samson Doyo

Junior
Now that I have scrubbed the embarrassment off me and stopped bashing all things Miami football coaching staff I'll ask a question that has bothered me since our ND victory years ago.

How many run plays do we actually have in our playbook and how many do we use? I would guess 3? This brings me back to our ND game when all of the sudden Richt called a COUNTER play that Homer ran for I think a 20yrd gain and a close to 40yrd gain. Did it work too well? Where the F has it been?

By the way Michael Carter just gained another 40yrds on THE COUNTER play UNC ran up our *** ALL NIGHT LONG while I was typing this...I digress, we know Baker sucks.

I like Lashlee. Although it was an easy impression to make considering our previous offense., but other than him scheming WR's and RB's open in the pass game with alignment changes we have the most vanilla run game in the history of football. Is it me? Admittedly, I was blind with rage 3mins into the second quarter so maybe I missed some details. The amount of bourbon I was forced to drink also didn't help. That is all...

Go Canes!

Advertisement
The current o line can't run block period, they can't pull, they can't trap, theyre terrible in space, they can't get any push what so ever. Te's dont block, wr's dont block. That kind of eliminates a lot of running plays.

This. We gave Enos **** last year because he was calling plays that required dominant OL play when we didn't have it.

Can't turn around and get mad at Lashlee for realizing the same and doing what he can with what he has.

Advertisement
We run the same plays that UNC just ran for 550 yards using against us.

They had success pulling their LT, which I’ve seen us do as well, only to see Zion get tripped by Gaynor after he got blown up or for Scaife to miss his assignment and kill the play.

It’s not a complicated game. You don’t have to be complex in the run game if you just block it right and pick up the right assignments. You’re not gonna get 550 yards but running for 4-5 yards a carry is very easy for an average team.

we just don’t have the guys that we need on the interior. We’re small without Navaughn and we’re weak. We’ve got 3 Centers playing LG, C, and RG

Last edited:
OL is much improved from last year but still not good enough in the run game to be dominant there. Simply cannot expect to go from what we saw last year to some road grading machine this year. I think the improvements we did see were very encouraging. Now everyone except Williams is back AGAIN, can you continue to improve?

Advertisement
I personally hate Lashlee's offense. Here's why I hate it:

1. No counters.
  2. No Pulling 1 or 2 OL on run plays
  3. No H-Back plays that block across the formation or same side traps.
  4. No motioning Slot to backfield to help block or run quick swing passes.
  5. Lacks 2 TE power plays or option to pass from a 2 TE set.
  6. No Trips formations
  7. Limited WR route combinations
  8. No WR or TE coordinated pick plays

1. No counters.
  6. No Trips formations
He has literally done everything listed throughout the course of the year. We are not good up front.

1. No counters.
  6. No Trips formations

That’s the AIR Raid influence.

What I’m shocked at is Malzahn runs quit a bit if buck sweep in his offense. His scheme has a lot of runs and uses the H Back a lot yet Lashlee doesn’t do this

Mentioned this before but we have tried throughout the year to use gap schemes but we simply aren't physical enough up front to make it work. We used inside zone to cover up defenders as we don't get much of a push.

Advertisement

1. No counters.
  6. No Trips formations
I would disagree with 2, 6, 7, & 8

We ran trips multiple times. We did 3 slants out of it, I saw a few pick plays (one went right off the receivers hands but wasn’t thrown perfectly either), and I’ve definitely seen some nice WR route combos. A lot of it is basic because the speed we play it but Lashlee definitely has some. He’ll get in his bag when it’s needed and he typically times it up, sets up the defense for what he’s gonna do, and draws one up to perfection. Happens every game.

A lot of your list is just the by product of running at a break away tempo. The tempo should give you the advantages... but just like the 4th and 1 last week... their DL was caught off guard halfway into their stance and we snapped the ball. Why do we need any eye candy, misdirection, or anything to win that? We got stood up. Should’ve been the easiest 1st down all season.

Scaife not blocking Surrat on that 4th down play where Chaney got stuffed still has me hot.
Chaney running right into the LB (and stopping his feet) when there was tons of daylight if he bounced to the left has me hot. But yeah Scaife committing to the nose - who Gaynor had already sealed with an excellent block - instead of working up to the LB still has me hot. The 3-tech wasn't even lined up at the snap...that should've been an easy chunk gain if Scaife or Chaney play it correctly.

The board laughed at me for thinking Parrish was a must-get in the 2020 class. How could you possibly need 3 backs in 1 cycle? Well Knighton is a nice space back and he's injured, Chaney is a raw gap-scheme guy, and Harris is an upperclassman with no vision who hasn't made a guy miss the whole year. Sure would be nice to have a back who has the vision, footwork and contact balance to run zone schemes effectively, considering that's the only run scheme this OL knows how to execute (and even then they don't create any creases).

Advertisement
We’ve run counter quite a few times. One of the few big plays against UNC was a QB counter. We’ve also run the buck sweep and a toss but they almost always lose yardage. Lashlee did a good job working with the tools at his disposal but it’s hard to hide an entire offensive line against P5 competition. We’re essentially dealing with two average players at tackle and three below average players on the interior.

Chaney running right into the LB (and stopping his feet) when there was tons of daylight if he bounced to the left has me hot. But yeah Scaife committing to the nose - who Gaynor had already sealed with an excellent block - instead of working up to the LB still has me hot.
So that's a blocking the wrong guy problem instead of a Jimmies & Joes problem. A half *** block on the right guy is better than a great block on the wrong guy any day, and the latter has been our problem with every OL coach since Stoutland.

Chaney running right into the LB (and stopping his feet) when there was tons of daylight if he bounced to the left has me hot. But yeah Scaife committing to the nose - who Gaynor had already sealed with an excellent block - instead of working up to the LB still has me hot. The 3-tech wasn't even lined up at the snap...that should've been an easy chunk gain if Scaife or Chaney play it correctly.

The board laughed at me for thinking Parrish was a must-get in the 2020 class. How could you possibly need 3 backs in 1 cycle? Well Knighton is a nice space back and he's injured, Chaney is a raw gap-scheme guy, and Harris is an upperclassman with no vision who hasn't made a guy miss the whole year. Sure would be nice to have a back who has the vision, footwork and contact balance to run zone schemes effectively, considering that's the only run scheme this OL knows how to execute (and even then they don't create any creases).

I'm honestly not that impressed by Chaney or Knighton

Advertisement
Back