Wyche Decommited

What's funny to me about this whole 17-page thread is that we ALL knew (as long as you read threads regarding Wyche and/or Peter's updates) that this was a major possibility--that the ACC rule would likely bite us in the **** with Wyche. I thought it was pretty well commonly held by most that if/when that happened, that we should be upset with the ACC and this rule that was continually described by most as "obscure" from the get-go.

So now, somehow, we've had a 17-page meltdown consisting of claims that Wyche couldn't simply qualify (when nothing of the sort was ever mentioned before), and the lame "our coaches should have known" about this facking obscure ACC rule that likely not many other staffs (and certainly no one on this board or any other) would have known about unless the situation were to arise.

Pete can do his research to see if we asked him to go elsewhere, or if he couldn't actually qualify, or something else that's "more to it" than the ACC rule. At the end of the day--Wyche was a 3* JUCO that was 50/50 to be game ready come Fall. He wasn't a mortal lock to be a "plug & play" guy. The closest thing to that in this class that we were in on was/is Travonte Valentine...not really any of the JUCO kids we were in on.

This decommitment does hurt, simply because of the clusterfvck our DT recruiting has been and has continued to be up to this point, and our glaring immediate need at the position. However...let's not be delusional about who this kid was expected to be come Labor Day at 8pm. Wyche wasn't the 2nd coming of Sapp/Maryland. ****, I don't even know if he was going to be Allen Bailey. Keep your delusions down to a minimum, be calm until Wednesday night, and then pick this class apart with all you've got...that will be the time to either freak out and kill the staff, or celebrate and give a reprieve until at least Spring ball.

Advertisement
What's funny to me about this whole 17-page thread is that we ALL knew (as long as you read threads regarding Wyche and/or Peter's updates) that this was a major possibility--that the ACC rule would likely bite us in the **** with Wyche. I thought it was pretty well commonly held by most that if/when that happened, that we should be upset with the ACC and this rule that was continually described by most as "obscure" from the get-go.

So now, somehow, we've had a 17-page meltdown consisting of claims that Wyche couldn't simply qualify (when nothing of the sort was ever mentioned before), and the lame "our coaches should have known" about this facking obscure ACC rule that likely not many other staffs (and certainly no one on this board or any other) would have known about unless the situation were to arise.

Pete can do his research to see if we asked him to go elsewhere, or if he couldn't actually qualify, or something else that's "more to it" than the ACC rule. At the end of the day--Wyche was a 3* JUCO that was 50/50 to be game ready come Fall. He wasn't a mortal lock to be a "plug & play" guy. The closest thing to that in this class that we were in on was/is Travonte Valentine...not really any of the JUCO kids we were in on.

This decommitment does hurt, simply because of the clusterfvck our DT recruiting has been and has continued to be up to this point, and our glaring immediate need at the position. However...let's not be delusional about who this kid was expected to be come Labor Day at 8pm. Wyche wasn't the 2nd coming of Sapp/Maryland. ****, I don't even know if he was going to be Allen Bailey. Keep your delusions down to a minimum, be calm until Wednesday night, and then pick this class apart with all you've got...that will be the time to either freak out and kill the staff, or celebrate and give a reprieve until at least Spring ball.

It isn't fair to rationalize this loss with the claim he wasn't going to be the next Maryland or Sapp, we all knew that.

Given our lack of both a) talent and b) depth at defensive tackle, however, losing a player like Whyce is still a very significant loss. You alluded to it, but don't downplay the impact he could have had on a very weak defensive line unit. We have Corey King and Earl Moore in the mix for heavy playing time. If that doesn't signify big trouble on the defensive line, I don't know what does.

I'm not necessarily going to bash the coaching staff over this ACC rule (even though they get paid handsomely to know the rules), but the the staffs inability to recruit the defensive tackle position (really outside of Moten and Heurteolu this year) is a compelling reason we're so thin at that position.

That's on them and we're going to feel the effects of it next season and future season if we don't end up securing more talent at this position, which is probably why so many people are up in arms over this loss. It's playing broken record at this point at the DT position.

I hope Courtel Jenkins is coming in ready to play right away. Either that or we need Earl Moore to take one huge step forward and fill the middle of the line in his third year here.

I endorse this message.

It isn't fair to rationalize this loss with the claim he wasn't going to be the next Maryland or Sapp, we all knew that.
From reading this thread, you would think that we all didn't know that. That's my point.

Given our lack of both a) talent and b) depth at defensive tackle, however, losing a player like Whyce is still a very significant loss. You alluded to it, but don't downplay the impact he could have had on a very weak defensive line unit. We have Corey King and Earl Moore in the mix for heavy playing time. If that doesn't signify big trouble on the defensive line, I don't know what does.
Agreed, and as you said, I did allude to that.

I'm not necessarily going to bash the coaching staff over this ACC rule (even though they get paid handsomely to know the rules)
They get paid handsomely to coach and recruit. I don't think there's a single person on any ACC staff that knew this ACC rule. Otherwise, they would have started lobbying the ACC regarding Wyche's situation much earlier in the game. I think the ire over why Wyche isn't coming is being misdirected.

but the the staffs inability to recruit the defensive tackle position (really outside of Moten and Heurteolu this year) is a compelling reason we're so thin at that position.
See that part of my post that said "clusterfvck"? Yeah--I was referring to our DT recruiting. So I touched on that, too. To me, our coaches being sh1tty recruiters at the DT position is clearly seperate from the ACC rule (well-known, obscure, or otherwise) ******** us out of Wyche. I'm ****ed off about our turrible DT recruiting just like everyone else, but this Wyche thing is a different animal. Blaming the staff on this one just as hard as the Valentine debacle is incongruent at best.

Advertisement
If I'm Not mistaken... Wyche can still enroll in May if he wants, if he takes a spring semester. Ball is in his court... UM tried getting him early but it didn't work out. Everyone knew this going in.

I wouldn't blame him for not doing another semester and going somewhere else but Miami is still an option if he's gonna enroll in May.

JC

What's not to get?

U can make an excuse for every dt we miss on. And on an individual level u may be correct

But when u look at the totality of the dt recruiting over goldens regime, it has been a collasal failure

So explain away valentine
Explain away wyche
Explain away stuckey and every other dt we've gone after and havnt gotten

When u look at the big picture, the bottom line is:

Our defensive tackles are going to be horrible for the 4th straight season with very little help coming in

So guess what? Now we get to recruit juco dts again in 2015. It's a vicious cycle of failure and all the same excuses will be valid again next year

Only 1 problem... Opposing offenses that routinely go for 500+ against us don't really seem to care about our excuses

Advertisement
I don't blame the coaches for losing TV, Wyche or Jenkins. The latter 2 simply couldn't qualify and the first one - well, we know what happened there.

What I blame them for is not having more realistic options at DT. Why go after 2 acedemically quesiontable kids and put all your eggs in that basket?

599.gif

Al would say that ship is trending up.

Advertisement
I don't blame the coaches for losing TV, Wyche or Jenkins. The latter 2 simply couldn't qualify and the first one - well, we know what happened there.

What I blame them for is not having more realistic options at DT. Why go after 2 acedemically quesiontable kids and put all your eggs in that basket?

We lost Jenkins too? Did I miss something?

Oh--I blame Golden almost directly for TV. Genron was working behind the scenes arranging TV to LSU, but if Golden hadn't flirted with PSU, then maybe Valentine would still be verbally committed to us, and then the angles to recruit him would look a little different at this stage of the game. Golden's exploration into the PSU job was the out TV (and probably Genron) was looking for to decommit.

Stuckey couldn't qualify, straight up. But as early as we were on him and had his verbal commitment, that's a credit to the staff--not a knock. When Stuckey didn't do the work in the classroom to get qualified, that's on him. Blaming the staff for a kid not qualifying academically is just another avenue to bytch about the staff in general. You don't know whether or not the kid is going to do the work to get qualified when you go after him initially. You have to start the recruitment based on need/talent. If he doesn't do the work--it's on him. Same with Toby Johnson--guy seemed like he was Miami bound, and didn't want to take an extra online class to get qualified for Miami. That's on him, nothing the staff could do about that.

Wyche, we've rehashed already. ACC Rule was what screwed things up, presumed he could qualify in every other way. Not much else the staff could do there. Look at it this way: was the staff supposed to not recruit Wyche, knowing that the ACC Rule could possibly ***** something up (if they even knew the ACC Rule at that point)? Or do we just ignore a guy with heavy Canes interest at a position of need? Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back