WTF Happened To Our Running Game?

Advertisement
if you don't get why we keep running the ball into the middle of the line several times a game I can't help you. you should probably just watch the game since you have no idea about play calling and scheming and setting up other plays. ignorance is bliss. you never played the game so just be a fan and stop analyzing

It's always easy to simply point to the OL. Anybody can do that. If you actually watch the games and understand what's going on schematically then you'll see that defenses have made an effort to shut down our Inside Zone/Zone Read scheme by using a 3-4 Tite Front.
There is no running Inside Zone versus a 3-4 Tite Front, you can forget about it.

You have to (1) try the perimeter or (2) pass the ball.
3-4 Tite Front generally provides zero pass rush. (which we saw versus NCST)

Advertisement
The reason we’ve torched the last two opponents through the air is because they’re all selling out to stop the run and betting on their corners to body our receivers in man coverage. Clemson had the horses to do it. Pitt tried but got burned by the big play. Virginia gave up a lot of yards passing but bowed up in the red zone. NCST got their doors blown off trying to use that technique. I fully expect VT to try the same thing and I fully expect Lashlee and King to go HAM

It's always easy to simply point to the OL. Anybody can do that. If you actually watch the games and understand what's going on schematically then you'll see that defenses have made an effort to shut down our Inside Zone/Zone Read scheme by using a 3-4 Tite Front.
There is no running Inside Zone versus a 3-4 Tite Front, you can forget about it.

You have to (1) try the perimeter or (2) pass the ball.
3-4 Tite Front generally provides zero pass rush. (which we saw versus NCST)
💯

Odd front defenses are just pinching their line and overwhelming our inside linemen. It pretty much kills the inside running game. But it does open up a lot of opportunities on the perimeter and it minimizes pass rush. The offensive game plan and execution last Friday was about as close to perfect as you’re going to get.

Grateful that DK can make up the yards for us... But **** what the **** has happened to our running game??

We opened the season with some spectacular runs and signs of potential w our trio of blue chip RB’s. If we had continued that kind of performance— DK would be putting up 400yd passing games regularly.

Yes the OL has been ...

But the OL also did a fantastic job holding the pocket for DK at NCState.

So why are they unable to open running lanes??

How many times are we gonna try a run up
The middle for no gain? Week after week that’s his main running call.

Is it a OL talent issue or a coaching issue?

My concern is that Lashlee is a one-dimensional coach— he only knows how to game plan for his QB to pass or tuck/run.

If that’s the extent of your offensive planning then teams are going to pin their ears back and have zero worries about the rest of your running game.
It's called the opposing teams. The competition is simply better than our OL.

Hard to wiggle when there is no hole at all.
Cam doesn’t help the cause most of the time. If there isn’t a big hole open he tries to be too patient instead of getting what you can. I hope we see even more of Don and Rooster the rest of the year

Advertisement
My entire career, Junior High through College I played OL. On great ones all the way. I was fortunate to play with the same guys for long runs. Like any position on a football field, it takes time to develop a complete game, some never get there. As an example, a RB who runs well with vision, but not great hands for pass catching, or can't block.

O-lines generally start being better pass blocking or better run blocking. As they evolve, in my experience, pass blocking lines had a little easier transition to becoming better run blocking than vice-a-versa. They've been pass blocking pretty well.

With O-lines it takes time - at least these guys are playing together. I had hoped those first few games were an indication they were in a groove, but its going to take a little longer before they lead us out of the tunnel like ND let the Irish OL do at Clemson. That was some gamesmanship - a couple freshman filling in on the Clemson D-Line seeing an experienced O-line leading them out? **** I hate ND, but that was soooooo bad ***.

Last edited:
Cam doesn’t help the cause most of the time. If there isn’t a big hole open he tries to be too patient instead of getting what you can. I hope we see even more of Don and Rooster the rest of the year
And I think we would’ve seen a lot more of Chaney had he not got hurt.

As long as Lashlee builds on the passing between the hashes, we will be fine.

It is no coincidence that the offense exploded when we threw more over the middle. Lashlee was letting the defense off the hook with all those quick passes to the sideline. When we threw to Mallory off the play fake, he was wide *** open for huge yardage.

We have to make teams pay for cheating to crash on the zone run ALL GAME LONG. Not just occasionally. A few games of this and teams will get the message and back off giving Cam and Co. more room to put in work.

Just keep building Lashlee. There are more ways to attack linebackers and safeties than just play fakes to seams and slants. Add some crosses, square ins, drags, curls TOGERTHER to challenge different sides and depths of the middle and we will be cooking up straight poison for the opposing defense. We have to make the linebackers and safeties hesitant. Make them watch and think like teams do our linebackers. The offense will get even more explosive.

Advertisement
Grateful that DK can make up the yards for us... But **** what the **** has happened to our running game??

We opened the season with some spectacular runs and signs of potential w our trio of blue chip RB’s. If we had continued that kind of performance— DK would be putting up 400yd passing games regularly.

Yes the OL has been ...

My concern is that Lashlee is a one-dimensional coach— he only knows how to game plan for his QB to pass or tuck/run.

If that’s the extent of your offensive planning then teams are going to pin their ears back and have zero worries about the rest of your running game.
You answered your own question
Running up the gut on first down every time is not very creative
Other teams know what we will do before the play lol

Current Run Defense Rankings:

UAB - 57
Louisville - 94
FSU - 92

Clemson - 22
Pitt - 2
UVA - 32

NC St - 80
VT - 92
GT - 97
Wake - 75
UNC - 56

I personally think our scheme, or how the opposing team is scheming us is overthinking it a bit.

We're good against bad run defenses, we're bad against good run defenses, and it's as simple as that. We'll look good in the next couple of games.

There are issues, but teams still choose to take away our running game. That means something.

And it doesn't get discussed much, but we were one of the absolute worst running teams in the country last year (even though we had an NFL back), Look at this comparison:

2019- 106.7 ypg
2020- 172.3 ypg

2019- 3.5 ypc
2020- 4.4 ypc

2019- 44.95% rush play percentage
2020- 51.89% rush play percentage
It's hard to compare last year to this year because having a running QB largely skews things.

King has 408 rushing yds and Williams had -68 last year.

If you look at just the RB's:

2019- 5.4 ypc
2020- 4.4 ypc

King is huge in helping the overall running stats, and pace gets the RB's more carries. RB's are getting 26 carries per game in 2020 vs 20 in 2019.

But Cam is basically the same dude he was last year. Chaney & Rooster, while they have huge potential, haven't been as good as good right off the bat as DeeJay was last year.

Everyone just jumped the gun a little bit on how good our RB's are.

Advertisement
Cam Harris deserves a lot of Credit against NCST. All his yardage was due to his vision, seeing that the running lanes were clogged and bouncing it outside.

I'm hoping now that our WRs have stepped up the past few weeks that it will loosen up the run game.

Yes the OL has been ...

Miami ran the ball against garbage UAB, Louisville and Florida State defenses.

Miami's ground game has since been exposed when playing better defenses in Clemson, Pittsburgh, Virginia and NC State—the Canes putting it on the Wolfpack solely because King had a great game and hit the deep ball well, which eliminated the need to run a ton.

This offensive line is putrid—yet because the Canes ran early against weaker foes, the sports media pushed some laughable narrative that this line was better (talking on broadcasts early in the year about 51 sacks given up last year but so few in 2020.)

The Canes need offensive line help in the worst way. Any team with a good enough defense is going to stifle the running game moving forward. Get used to it.

Advertisement
Back