WTF, Chip Kelly?

You could get WAY less in return for an aging RB these days than a Kiko Alonso. McCoy will be less missed in Philly than a lot of people are thinking he will be today.

Aging? He's 26!!!

The only reason Chip Kelly let him go is because in his offense, it's all about the QB and OLine. Everyone else can be replaced, and the system will take care of itself.
But the biggest reason was to save $10M this year. That is a lot of money they are saving. Plus they are getting a LB with a lot of potential. Plus there was a lot of friction between Kelly and Shady.

They'll draft a RB in the 2-4 range, and get just as much production.

This is correct

He turns 27 prior to this season. Is entering his 7th season. Ray Rice is one year older and has already been widely described as "on the decline". RB's in the NFL not only age like dogs but are becoming an extremely devalued commodity by most teams and GM's thus my statement about them getting someone the calibur of Alonso in return as actually pretty good.

Well, didn't think I had to say this, but Shady McCoy is not Ray Rice. Rice wasn't as good as McCoy either. McCoy definitely has enough to last 3 more years at a very high level. IDK how well he will do in the Bills new offense though.

I definitely think Eagles won the trade. Though, If the Bills have a lot of cap space, to them, they are also getting a very good deal, so you could say this is a win-win. Long run though, Eagles win, especially if with that extra $10M they go out and make some quality FA signing(s).

Advertisement
Congrats to the Philadelphia Ducks for landing another former Oregon star! Go Ducks!

Phil+Knight+qoMbzkO0snsm.jpg

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...draft-fit-for-eagles?campaign=Twitter_nfl_cfb

1. Duke Johnson, Miami

Brooks: "Duke Johnson in my mind would probably be the best fit. He's a carbon copy of Shady McCoy stylistically, the way he runs inside and outside. He's outstanding as a receiver out of the backfield. He could make a seamless transition into that system because his skills are identical to those of Shady."

I agree. Duke can be a more disciplined and physical version of Shady. I think Chip will get his starter in FA though because he clearly doesn't value RBs enough to draft one of the top backs.

I see no problem here. McCoy has done nothing in his career to make a fuss. One time in his career he had double digit TD. The rest of the time he avg around 5 if he is lucky. Dude got a large *** contract after that double digit season and produce 2 TD that following year. Has never lived up to the hype he gets.

I hope Duke doesn't land with the Eagles. ****** place for a RB to land.

Advertisement
The Eagles shipped running back LeSean McCoy to Buffalo for linebacker Kiko Alonso on Tuesday in the rare NFL trade involving two big-name players. We're on record as saying that the Bills got the worst of the deal. Not because McCoy isn't one of the league's best backs (he is, despite a down 2014 season), but because his cap hit for 2015 is $10.25 million.

Yes, we know, the Bills have the room. And yes, they need a dynamic back with C.J. Spiller set to hit free agency. And yes, it's another weapon, along with wideout Sammy Watkins, for whoever wins the quarterback job -- EJ Manuel or just-acquired Matt Cassel.

But if we've learned anything in the last decade, it's that the running back position, more than any other, is fungible. There's seldom a good reason to devote so much cap space -- even if you have it -- to a running back when that production can likely be found elsewhere for a fraction of the cost.

Not everyone agrees with us, starting with our Eye on Football Podcast co-host Will Brinson, who made his case on the latest episode. (Remember to subscribe to the EOF Podcast on iTunes.)
Another fan of the trade for the Broncos: Former Hurricane, Broncos, and Redskins running back Clinton Portis.

“I don't think this is an even deal,” Portis said during an appearance on NFL Network (via the Washington Post). “I think Kiko Alonso could turn out to be a great player in time, but a guy coming off an injury, missing a full season, being traded for LeSean McCoy after two monster seasons?….If the Bills could keep LeSean McCoy for the next four years, the production that he's going to give them and the excitement that he's going to bring to Buffalo Bills fans will be way more impressive than what Kiko Alonso brings to the Philadelphia Eagles….
kiko-lesean-trade-bad-podcast.jpg
LeSean McCoy is out in Philly and Kiko Alonso is reunited with Chip Kelly. (Getty Images)

“I don't see Kiko Alonso turning out to be a J.J. Watt, or a Ray Lewis, or a guy who can just dominate this conference,” Portis continued. “Maybe he does, but I don't see it in him, and I think it's going to be hard to do. So I think the Bills really won in this trade.”

Before the 2004 season, Portis, originally Denver's second-round pick, was traded to Washington in exchange for cornerback Champ Bailey and a second-round pick. Both players had good-to-great runs with their new teams, though if we're keeping score, the Broncos got the best of the deal. Either way, Portis, who last played in 2010, likes the Bills' aggressiveness.

“I was just as shocked as everyone else,” Portis. “I mean, you look at trading a weapon such as LeSean McCoy for anybody. Unless you're trading for J.J. Watt or Ndamukong Suh, that's not a trade worth having, if you ask me. I mean, you look at LeSean McCoy, he was 300 yards away from his best season last year….So this is a trade I really don't understand.”

Worth noting: McCoy was an average back in 2014. He averaged 4.2 yards per carry and ranked 16th in total value, according to Football Outsiders. The year before, however, McCoy was unstoppable; he averaged 5.1 yards per carry and was first in total value among all NFL backs.

McCoy even admitted to us at the Super Bowl that he wasn't at his best last season, but added, "I'll do what I do best (next season) and I'm sure they'll be jumping back on the bandwagon."

He just had no idea that he'd be doing it in Buffalo.

Meanwhile, Portis wonders if the real issue in Philly wasn't McCoy's slip in production but what the remaining players think of Eagles coach Chip Kelly, who has cleaned house this offseason.

"You look at this trade and you look at the Eagles letting go DeSean Jackson last year, it just comes to the realization that there's more going on in Philadelphia than we know about,” Portis said. “Maybe it's an ego thing with Coach Chip Kelly. I think the players enjoy playing for him, you see a lot of players succeed, and of course last year being his first year, there was a lot of excitement coming out of Philadelphia. But the last two moves that they made have been questionable.”

We're guessing Kelly's not done.

Chip Kelly keep this ish up with the Eagles trading away their best players because he thinks Chip Kelly is some Football God, then that joker gonna find himself right back in college Football. Plus, does he really think that teams won't figure out all the nuances of his offense. Remind me of the ole ball coach stacking the Redskins team with Gators. I give Chip one year to win, and he bust then he'll be gone. The NFL has become way more impatient when they think a coach is not working out than what it used to be.

Yea I understand this trade. Still If I was an Eagle fan I'd be ****ed off.

Eagles will probably draft a RB somewhere in round 2-4..

theyre actually very happy. McCOys cap hit is ridiculous and chip doesnt value RBs in his system. the eagles get a really good young LB in a position where they needed to fill. plenty of RBs available in draft and McCoy isn't in the category of AP, Lynch so its not a real miss.

You could get WAY less in return for an aging RB these days than a Kiko Alonso. McCoy will be less missed in Philly than a lot of people are thinking he will be today.

Aging? He's 26!!!

The only reason Chip Kelly let him go is because in his offense, it's all about the QB and OLine. Everyone else can be replaced, and the system will take care of itself.
But the biggest reason was to save $10M this year. That is a lot of money they are saving. Plus they are getting a LB with a lot of potential. Plus there was a lot of friction between Kelly and Shady.

They'll draft a RB in the 2-4 range, and get just as much production.

This is correct

He turns 27 prior to this season. Is entering his 7th season. Ray Rice is one year older and has already been widely described as "on the decline". RB's in the NFL not only age like dogs but are becoming an extremely devalued commodity by most teams and GM's thus my statement about them getting someone the calibur of Alonso in return as actually pretty good.

Well, didn't think I had to say this, but Shady McCoy is not Ray Rice. Rice wasn't as good as McCoy either. McCoy definitely has enough to last 3 more years at a very high level. IDK how well he will do in the Bills new offense though.

I definitely think Eagles won the trade. Though, If the Bills have a lot of cap space, to them, they are also getting a very good deal, so you could say this is a win-win. Long run though, Eagles win, especially if with that extra $10M they go out and make some quality FA signing(s).

McCoy has had the second most carries in the league the last two years behind Murray i believe. not good for a RB w a ton of miles on him

Advertisement
Chip Kelly. Back to Oregon by 2017. In way over his head. Entire roster will be PAC 10 guys in 2 years unless you're name is Riley. He's blind to anything else and to stubborn to ask for help. I listen to Philly sports radio every day and folks are turning on him quick. He's all in to get Mariotta. If he struggles early, Chip will bolt.

since ur from philly, u should know most of the people that call in r idiots.

Kelly thinks he is JJ at Dallas bringing in all his Canes. Difference being Kelly and OR never won crap, just scored points.

Advertisement
Back