WSJ Football Program Value Rankings

cowboycane

All-ACC
https://www.wsj.com/articles/how-much-is-your-college-football-team-worth-1506000030

WSJ is behind a firewall, but it has Miami ranked 33rd and worth $254 million, behind such powerhouses as Minnesota and Arizona State.

"The study broke down each program’s most recently available revenues and expenses, from 2016, making cash-flow adjustments, risk assessments and growth projections."

Surely some folks that understand finance better than I do can comment on the accuracy of this type of methodology and ranking, but I thought it was interesting.

Top 5 are Ohio State, Texas, Oklahoma, Alabama and LSU. The first three are valuated at over a billion each.

Top ranked private school is Notre Dame at 7, then a big gap before USC at 25, then us, then Stanford at 36.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Notre Dame is highest private, do not even need to read the article to know that.

We were in the same ballpark as Stanford, USC and UCLA which I'm fine with.....for now. I'd say we have the most untapped financial potential of anybody on that list with several schools probably near maxed out value now.

Advertisement
Love to know how (if) they quantify brand value. Because Miami's is potentially as high as any program in the country (from a football standpoint). And I would think brand value would be the greatest indication of overall program value. That's not something you can throw a fundraising campaign for and build overnight.

Love to know how (if) they quantify brand value. Because Miami's is potentially as high as any program in the country (from a football standpoint). And I would think brand value would be the greatest indication of overall program value. That's not something you can throw a fundraising campaign for and build overnight.

Brand value is worthless unless the program makes money from it. Bottom line is al that counts.

Brand value does put money in our pockets, and as we become more successful it will put more money in the programs pockets, but it has to be quantified. Brand value will always be reflected in the overall worth of the program, because of royalties.

Advertisement
Back