WR Recruiting

bobbo31

Freshman
This position has been a big miss this season. Not picking up any of the elite 4 WR's in South Florida is a huge miss by this staff. Dixon, Rudolph, Holmes and Lane are elite WR's. Langham, Berrios, and Brady may turn out to be a great class but there is no doubt that landing 1 if not 2 or 3 of the WR's listed above would have been a huge boost to this and future classes.

Advertisement
If we get SBB and Ridley all is forgotten lane will be eh Dixon will fade into oblivion Holmes will do good and Rudolph will torch us unless he tears both ACLs next season fingers crossed

Coley bought the staff a year at WR recruiting. Good that we still got some nice players with upside (Brady) and immediate contributors (Berrios). Gotta hit next year on Ridley, SBB, or Phillips.

Advertisement
86.gif

Yawn...

WR is the most saturated position especially in south FL. Only guys that are a must are big freaks. Also only guy that I see as a possibility and I would want is Worton. 25 yards a catch in south Florida? Balled out all season and in title game? WANT.

Griffen, Lenius and Ndoku all mght be major, and I might major, additions to this year's class. Maybe not south Florida kids, but we've had WRs from outside south Florida who have been very good, such as Reggie Wayne and to a lesser extent, that kid from near Lake City--I forgot his name, but he was a first round draft choice for the Dolphins. He was very talented by always hurt.

I was thinking of all the south Florida top drawer recruits who turned out to be rather ordinary: Magic Benton, Omar Rolle and Jammi German. They were all big name coveted recruits coming out of HS and the last two, Rolle and German, were, at best, rather ordinary.

The Lake City receiver was Yatil Green. When we recruited him, I heard indirectly that Pete Garcia was claiming we got a much better receiver than that Cooper kid (Andre?) who was the big name first team USA Today A-A out of Jacksonville. The problem was, Green played on some of our weaker teams over the last quarter century, and he was hurt a lot. Yatil Green was not from south Florida. I think he was much more talented than Cooper.

When Omar Rolle and Magic Benton came out, they were the elite of Dade. Rolle was very solid but average at UM, Benton was a bust.

There were probably others, I can't remember them all. We just don't know how Brady and Langham will turn out.

Another kid who was highly coveted, a can't miss stud, was Lance Leggett. Although not a south Florida kid, we wanted him every bit as badly s we wanted Lane, Rudolph and Dixon. By the time he was done, he was almost a wasted scholarship. I wish we had found some other kid somewhere in Florida with height, speed and some athletic ability, and desire, and coached him up. We wasted all that time fighting to get Leggett.

WR recruiting is really a crapshoot-we've gotten some of the best national products and many have busted: Ryan Moore, Akieem Jolla and Taj Johnson.We could go back to Tony Page in the mid 80's, another big name WR recruit. Like Johnson, he was from Oklahoma. Andre Johnson, orignally a Schnellenberger recrut was a second team USA Today A-A. He became a starter, but was not the second coming of Mike Irvin. Aldarius Johnson was a highly regarded recruit in that vaunted MNW class. What did he do?

If we can pick up some of the out-of-state kids (Lenius, Griffin, Ndoku) late, we'll be in pretty good shape, I think, and we can head into the '15 cycle and nail down some of the great studs for next year.

What I'm trying to say is: don't get all caught up in the marquee names. There are other kids out there who can turn out to be pretty good. Some won't, a few might, but some of the big names will be busts too.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Griffen, Lenius and Ndoku all mght be major, and I might major, additions to this year's class. Maybe not south Florida kids, but we've had WRs from outside south Florida who have been very good, such as Reggie Wayne and to a lesser extent, that kid from near Lake City--I forgot his name, but he was a first round draft choice for the Dolphins. He was very talented by always hurt.

Yatil Green?? He was a bust in NFL but played well in college.

Green had 10 surgeries on his knee in 3 NFL seasons

WR is one of the least to worry about, we won't really know until 2 or 3 years later. The commits we have are a good group that could be contributors soon(Berrios) and the others are not going to be needed right away. So. Fl. always has receivers, so if we miss one year we can always try to make up the next. Now DTs a different matter.

Advertisement

we will not take all 3 of those kids...Al did miss on the 3 elite kids in the class....but heres to hoping the scheme and offensive philosophy gets us over the hump. WHo knows...things are a little confusing in Coral Gables.

One nice thing about this position is a incoming freshman can start and impress Eg ( Coley) right away, so if we miss on the studs this year, next year we can right that need pretty easily, not like LB or corners that have so much to learn....

If we get SBB and Ridley all is forgotten lane will be eh Dixon will fade into oblivion Holmes will do good and Rudolph will torch us unless he tears both ACLs next season fingers crossed

Can't play the "if" game. There is no telling what is going to happen next year. The staff may out hustle and out work everyone but 17 year old kids are fickle.

Advertisement
If we hit on a good QB, every WR we have will be much better overnight. Can't separate the two. Great WR make QB better and great Qb makes WRs better. Get them together and you have magic.

If we hit on a good QB, every WR we have will be much better overnight. Can't separate the two. Great WR make QB better and great Qb makes WRs better. Get them together and you have magic.

Every QB can't be Tom Brady and just make any average WR look good.

If Griffin qualifies I am at a lost to call this class a failure at WR. Griffin is a consensus 4 star, Berrios is a consensus 4 star, Langham is a 4 star on Espn and we are told he would be higher if he had gone to camp (plus FSU did want him), and finally Brady the worst of them all had offers from Florida and FSU (according to Rivals).

2 four stars, a 3/4 star and a 3 star that is a pretty **** good class. You would be hard pressed to find a better WR class in the country (yes I know FSU will have better class).

A failure to me is if we fail to address a position or failed to add players who make us deeper and more talented. This WR class make WR core deeper and more talented.

Advertisement
Back