WR Demitirus Robertson Transfer

I hate when you post. I makes me want to hit the water!
That was a nice Peace River fish, even got Florida Sportsman Magazine to pay me for an article about putting my middle son on it home from college. But check out this big beautiful golden river girl we caught off our dock (miracle landing it) on Thanksgiving night 2016. We had the drag set loose and as soon as the Cowboy's game ended, it started screaming. Length and girth went 245 - has to be a dock world record. She swam off just fine after the pics.
IMG_0015.jpg

Advertisement
That was a nice Peace River fish, even got Florida Sportsman Magazine to pay me for an article about putting my middle son on it home from college. But check this big golden river girl we caught off our dock (miracle landing it) on Thanksgiving night 2016. Length and girth went 245 - has to be a dock world record

Not sure if you take scales or not but back when I was jumping them regularly I would pop a scale off and put it in the bottom of a rocks glass for my bourbon and covered it with some clear resin/epoxy. Better use than me just throwing em around the house.

That was a nice Peace River fish, even got Florida Sportsman Magazine to pay me for an article about putting my middle son on it home from college. But check out this big beautiful golden river girl we caught off our dock (miracle landing it) on Thanksgiving night 2016. We had the drag set loose and as soon as the Cowboy's game ended, it started screaming. Length and girth went 245 - has to be a dock world record. She swam off just fine after the pics.View attachment 61085

That's a monster!

Advertisement
Not sure if you take scales or not but back when I was jumping them regularly I would pop a scale off and put it in the bottom of a rocks glass for my bourbon and covered it with some clear resin/epoxy. Better use than me just throwing em around the house.

Yeah I took one, usually do it old school style, and put the date and weight on it. But I think you're on to something I'm going to try.

That was a nice Peace River fish, even got Florida Sportsman Magazine to pay me for an article about putting my middle son on it home from college. But check out this big beautiful golden river girl we caught off our dock (miracle landing it) on Thanksgiving night 2016. We had the drag set loose and as soon as the Cowboy's game ended, it started screaming. Length and girth went 245 - has to be a dock world record. She swam off just fine after the pics.View attachment 61085

Off a dock? How far inland are you? Can’t be far. Pretty much salt water. I’m assuming an intracoastal setup on the west coast emptying into the gulf but real close. Am I wrong?

Advertisement
Reminds me of that clown John Franklin that went to FSU, transferred to Last Chance U, then transferred to Auburn. When he went to Auburn he went back to his HS and had another signing ceremony. Wow man, SMDH.

Man look at this kids career. Was basically somewhere new every year. He was HS teammates with Alex Collins, who I haven't heard **** from in the league

John Franklin III - Wikipedia

Off a dock? How far inland are you? Can’t be far. Pretty much salt water. I’m assuming an intracoastal setup on the west coast emptying into the gulf but real close. Am I wrong?

I'm 20 miles up Charlotte Harbor and the Peace River from Boca Grande Pass (tidal area). Tarpon can gulp air, salinity isn't necessarily an issue for them. They are occasionally found in land locked fresh water ponds around Punta Gorda. Small ones get there during the rainy season via drainage ditches then get locked in and grow. A lot of the smaller and bigger ones stay here in the river and area canals rather than migrate in the winter.

In the 80s I read an article in the Lauderdale Sun about a Tarpon they found in a swimming pool of an abandoned house in Ft Lauderdale or Miami. The one to the left was caught 8 miles further up river. Bull Sharks get way up too, we catch them Tarpon fishing and I had a friend have a 100+ pound Tarpon bit in half way, way up river.

By the way, UM had something called the Tarpon Bonefish Research Center a while back, not sure if it's still active. Anyone know?

I'm 20 miles up Charlotte Harbor and the Peace River from Boca Grande Pass (tidal area). Tarpon can gulp air, salinity isn't necessarily an issue for them. They are occasionally found in land locked fresh water ponds around Punta Gorda. Small ones get there during the rainy season via drainage ditches then get locked in and grow. A lot of the smaller and bigger ones stay here in the river and area canals rather than migrate in the winter.

In the 80s I read an article in the Lauderdale Sun about a Tarpon they found in a swimming pool of an abandoned house in Ft Lauderdale or Miami. The one to the left was caught 8 miles further up river. Bull Sharks get way up too, we catch them Tarpon fishing and I had a friend have a 100+ pound Tarpon bit in half way, way up river.

By the way, UM had something called the Tarpon Bonefish Research Center a while back, not sure if it's still active. Anyone know?

Yup, i've caught tarpon in retention ponds off the highway and pulled some 15-20lb'ers out of ditches.

Advertisement

Thanks for the info. I had no idea tarpon could tolerate freshwater for any extended period of time, especially for that long. I’ve never been tarpon fishing, just know what I know about them from talking to people like you.

I’ve done some saltwater fishing, mainly dolphin, but never tarpon. I just assumed tarpon fishing was mainly done close to shore in the gulf out in your parts, since that’s what it’s famous for (Boca Grande).

One time I was diving and a tarpon zoomed by over my head, it was so big for a second I thought it was a shark. Happened so fast it took me just a few seconds to register it had even happened.

They're a pretty fascinating prehistoric fish, and an adiciting sport fish. I used to 'Live Bait' Guide in Boca Grande Pass, fished people from all over the world. They are definitey "bucket list" worthy; some people would keep at it for years before they ever landed one.

The sport started (at least recorded) when a guy named W.H. Wood from NY caught a Tarpon in Charlotte Harbor in 1885, using a conventional rod a reel - up till then people didn't try to catch them because they'd spool their line and wreck their tackle. Instead, they speared them for sport. Wood, a civil engineer, wrote an article in Scientific America about his catch that was picked up the London Observer, and it was on.

Henry Plant's RR was extended from Bartow to Punta Gorda in 1886 (While Flagler was pushing his line down the east coast) just in time to cash in on the interest. Then, in 1887, they opened a massive hotel in Punta Gorda, that provided the lodging accomodations. Rich industrialists from NY or London could make it down from NY to Punta Gorda in 24 hours. Charlotte Harbor's commericial fisherman quickly found they could make more money taking rich northerners fishing than hauling mullet nets in the winter and quickly designed specialized skiffs for Tarpon.

The fishing was done in the Peace and Caloosahatchee rivers for 15 years before Captiva and Boca Grande Passes caught on - they were remote and finally got going after a resort opened up on Useppa Island. Still they needed a steam launch to haul the smaller skiffs back and forth to Boca Grande Pass.

Yeah, I'm a bit of a Tarpon geek, writing a book on the history...

That’s good stuff, @Silver King, you even managed to get in some Florida railroad history in there. A lot of people don’t know why the names Plant or Flagler are important.

Anyway, it sounds like a lot of those bad boys are being caught in rivers and/or freshwater. Interesting. Obviously, since nobody eats them (that I know of) their numbers must be super stable.

Advertisement
That’s good stuff, @Silver King, you even managed to get in some Florida railroad history in there. A lot of people don’t know why the names Plant or Flagler are important.

Anyway, it sounds like a lot of those bad boys are being caught in rivers and/or freshwater. Interesting. Obviously, since nobody eats them (that I know of) their numbers must be super stable.

I KNEW you were Arva Moore Parks McCabe

You haven’t heard anything about Alex Collins in the NFL? Well, let me fill you in. He started a majority of the games for the Ravens last year and had close to 1,000 yards and 6 tds.

Well, I stand corrected lol

Reminds me of that clown John Franklin that went to FSU, transferred to Last Chance U, then transferred to Auburn. When he went to Auburn he went back to his HS and had another signing ceremony. Wow man, SMDH.
My favorite was that kid in Nevada who had a hat ceremony in his HS gym and picked Cal, a school that had never heard of him, much less offered him.

Really kind of sad, actually, what kind of delusional illness could cause somebody to do that.

Advertisement
Back