WR Corps

Our returning receivers last year:
Harley 57/799/7
Mark Pope 33/403/2
Dee Wiggins 31/358/3
Charleston Rambo 25/312/3

Considering two of those guys barely played at all last year, returning production shouldn't be a big concern.
Dear sir,

The numbers I posted earlier are career stats for our current WR corps. Nobody has proven much of anything whereas Harley and Rambo had both enjoyed pretty big campaigns before 2021, so I respectfully disagree that returning production at WR isn't a concern relative to 2021. Not that returning production means everything, but we've got a bunch of question marks there until proven otherwise, and it's not a huge deal because someone will prove otherwise. One of these guys will take the torch but it's anyone's guess who it's going to be.

Advertisement
He should, just depends on how fast he can pickup the offense & how quickly they want to bring him along.

Where did you read that he had 4.46 speed?
There was an article by Atoz sports that had mentioned early on that he should be a lock to Tennessee and would be a great addition due to his height and the fact that he had run a 4.46 forty.

There was an article by Atoz sports that had mentioned early on that he should be a lock to Tennessee and would be a great addition due to his height and the fact that he had run a 4.46 forty.
Thanks I hadn’t seen that.

If he can pickup the offense quickly, he could be the player that everyone thinks Ladson is supposed to be.

Dear sir,

The numbers I posted earlier are career stats for our current WR corps. Nobody has proven much of anything whereas Harley and Rambo had both enjoyed pretty big campaigns before 2021, so I respectfully disagree that returning production at WR isn't a concern relative to 2021. Not that returning production means everything, but we've got a bunch of question marks there until proven otherwise, and it's not a huge deal because someone will prove otherwise. One of these guys will take the torch but it's anyone's guess who it's going to be.
I get it but Brinson, George and Smith have only been here one year and Restrepo caught only one pass his first season. Last year’s stats ARE their career numbers. I’d be concerned if we had a bunch of fourth year guys with 35 career receptions. We have a bunch of question marks so that’s not ideal but it’s significantly better than have a bunch of proven bums.

Advertisement
I get it but Brinson, George and Smith have only been here one year and Restrepo caught only one pass his first season. Last year’s stats ARE their career numbers. I’d be concerned if we had a bunch of fourth year guys with 35 career receptions. We have a bunch of question marks so that’s not ideal but it’s significantly better than have a bunch of proven bums.
Exactly... I'll never forget when we lost Moss, Wayne, and King with hardly no production returning in 2001. Not saying we have anyone near Andre Johnson, but we definitely have guys who can replace the 2 wrs that didn't even get drafted.

Every year teams across the country have to replace top tier talent at wr and somehow they always find some unproven guys to step up and do it. I'm not worried about our wr room. All of this skepticism is coming from the spring game anyway and that should not be over analyzed.

We have a real QB with what should be a much improved O-line... That alone will do wonders for the WR production... I think people are making way more out of this than they need too... We have solid guys to catch the ball... If Gattis designs things to peoples strengths we'll be fine...

Advertisement
We have a real QB with what should be a much improved O-line... That alone will do wonders for the WR production... I think people are making way more out of this than they need too... We have solid guys to catch the ball... If Gattis designs things to peoples strengths we'll be fine...
I think the situation at WR is much different than the one at DL. They took every defensive lineman in the portal because they had zero confidence in the returning guys. I think at WR, they were looking for that one proven game breaker and when they couldn’t get one, called it a day. They whiffed on the handful of upgrades and decided what they have is better than what’s left in the portal. Gattis needs to make this work

I think the situation at WR is much different than the one at DL. They took every defensive lineman in the portal because they had zero confidence in the returning guys. I think at WR, they were looking for that one proven game breaker and when they couldn’t get one, called it a day. They whiffed on the handful of upgrades and decided what they have is better than what’s left in the portal. Gattis needs to make this work
Right , I agree completely ...... The fact that Mario barely made any moves WR wise shows he has way more confidence in the room than what most give credit for.... Sure it would be nice to have a Ahmonn Richards type but we still have really good talent there... I think we'll be fine...

Last edited:
Exactly... I'll never forget when we lost Moss, Wayne, and King with hardly no production returning in 2001. Not saying we have anyone near Andre Johnson, but we definitely have guys who can replace the 2 wrs that didn't even get drafted.

Every year teams across the country have to replace top tier talent at wr and somehow they always find some unproven guys to step up and do it. I'm not worried about our wr room. All of this skepticism is coming from the spring game anyway and that should not be over analyzed.
You should be slightly concerned about the WR room though, right? There's potential but we don't have anything close to a preseason all-conference candidate. One or two guys are likely to emerge but drops were an issue all spring and it's a young group. Going into a season without a single proven WR is when guys get hyped. By August we'll have convinced ourselves that Restrepo, Keyshawn, etc are primed for huge breakout seasons. Let's hope it happens.

And what also has to be factored in is the offensive system...

Up until 2020, we didn’t really have a WR friendly system that was conducive to high productivity, so our WR’s have had to be exceptionally good in order to really produce in the offenses we’ve had beforehand. Hence, Stacy Coley & Ahmmon having great seasons in 2016 & even then we had an offensive slump for a 4 game stretch during the losing streak. But otherwise, unless we had kids who could win vs Press man coverage & understood how to attack leverage, we pretty much have had underachieving WR’s because the offenses we’ve ran were much harder on WR’s who aren’t adept at the nuances of the position. Lashlee’s offense made it easier because it was simplistic & wide open.

The reason why it’s imperative that we add a true deep ball threat is because with out we’ll be playing with one arm tied behind our backs & Defenses not respecting the Deep ball element will make them crowd the box with 7/8 man fronts & will make it that much harder for the TE’s to truly be effective.

What we have is a 3-5 pieces at WR that have the potential to be really good, but haven’t shown the consistency enough to the satisfaction of the staff’s liking to the point where they feel as though they wouldn’t need to add another playmaker. Mario very openly was displeased with the WR’s performance in the Spring game & said so explicitly & publicly on Joe Rose show a month ago back in April. The weird resistance to another WR on this board has pretty much been boiled down to pure classic Spring time Homerism, but the reality is, from a production standpoint & from an offensive standpoint, going into the season with the unproven WR group we have that struggles to get open in a much harder offense than last year’s is a big red flag that the coaches are very wisely trying to address.

No Jaylon is not the prototype ideal X WR that you’d like, but what he is is a productive vet playmaker with legit 4.4/4.3 speed that has done it before & adds an element that is needed to the offense. For those of you who want to give us the best chance to beat TAMU, yall should be the main ones hoping & praying we get this kid because we’re absolutely gonna need him against that big physical & talented secondary.

Because believe you me, if we roll into College station on September 17th, trying to play conservative dink & dunk ball against that heavy talent laden Defense & there’s no one to take the top off & stretch the field, it’s gonna look like Miami vs Clemson 2020 game all over again... And yes, I know TVD is a much better QB, but even the best QB’s in the world can’t account for having no one to throw the ball to & not having someone that can produce explosive playmaking when it counts the most.
To add on to this while not trying to be super negative…I think Gattis is a good OC but my biggest concern with him was his deep passing game creativity. Everybody chalks it up to his QB play at Michigan but I’ve seen OCs have mediocre QB play and still scheme up big plays down field in the passing game.

I love his quick game and run game creativity tho, you can tell how smart he is with how he gives multiple looks for different stuff.

Advertisement
To add on to this while not trying to be super negative…I think Gattis is a good OC but my biggest concern with him was his deep passing game creativity. Everybody chalks it up to his QB play at Michigan but I’ve seen OCs have mediocre QB play and still scheme up big plays down field in the passing game.

I love his quick game and run game creativity tho, you can tell how smart he is with how he gives multiple looks for different stuff.

Michigan lead the nation in plays of 50 or more yards, totaling 17 such explosive plays in 13 games. Ten of those plays went for 60 or more yards, and six of them went for 70 or more yards. The Wolverines have produced some eye-popping scores, and in terms of big-picture production, they have been efficient as well.

**I think this should take care of your concern with big plays in the passing game.

In all seriousness, how the **** did Malik break the school record for TDs in THAT O? It's not that he was downright horrible ALL the time, but when he was bad, he was really, really bad. Still, he holds the school record for TDs in a season. Until that record is broken, we won't compete for anything. Seeing as how King couldn't break the record in Lashlee's O, I am not convinced he would have done it in Richt's.
I think they ***** up Malik's motion: looked at the Duke game when he took over from Kaya: the kid was throwing BB's> I think Richt son change his motion to move over the top and he never looked right :

Like I mentioned in another thread, Gattis hasn’t called ONE play at Miami yet, but there seems to be plenty of snakes in the grass waiting to strike. You can see the narratives growing and growing and fckn growing LOL. . .

Advertisement
I think they ***** up Malik's motion: looked at the Duke game when he took over from Kaya: the kid was throwing BB's> I think Richt son change his motion to move over the top and he never looked right :
He absolutely regressed as a passer, i noticed that too

Michigan lead the nation in plays of 50 or more yards, totaling 17 such explosive plays in 13 games. Ten of those plays went for 60 or more yards, and six of them went for 70 or more yards. The Wolverines have produced some eye-popping scores, and in terms of big-picture production, they have been efficient as well.

**I think this should take care of your concern with big plays in the passing game.
I think this speaks to Gattis' ability to draw up explosive plays but it's kind of misleading. They had a bunch of very long plays but were middle of the road in terms of plays that went for 10+ yards. They had 186 plays of 10+ in 14 games. By contrast, Miami had 185 plays of 10+ in only 12 games. So while they were able to hit for explosive plays occasionally, they weren't doing a great job of gaining chunk yards consistently. It's also the game plan Michigan used. They wanted to pound you with the run over and over to attempt to set up a big play. Miami doesn't have that kind of personnel right now so Gattis is going to have to do something different than what they were doing at Michigan.

I’ll eat my crow in September, but I think we’ll be fine at WR. With the TE and RB group we have who can catch passes I think that will take some pressure off the group. We definitely need a deep threat but I think the young guys will gain confidence as the season goes on and Gattis will call his offense to help the group.

It wont take care if my concerns because I watched the games lol but we’ll see this year.

Advertisement
Back