WR Corps

I’m gonna say this unit will go as far as X7 can take them. Needs to have a Brax level year for this offense to be good/great. Outside of him guys are just unproven and will either step up or prove they don’t belong at this level
Man, y’all have to stop comparing X7 to Berrios. Berrios didn’t “ball out” until his senior year here. We are young and have a lot of inexperience at WR.

It will be Restrepo’s 3rd year and while he does have a much better QB with TVD than Rosier, you have to temper your expectations a tad.

Rambo was an anomaly last year and I don’t see any of our WRs replicating the numbers he did. ALL of the WRs will have to step up for our offense to be good/great. Losing Harley and Rambo is definitely going to hurt because those guys had a ton of experience.

Advertisement
The success of our offense is dependent on a 5'10 slot receiver with average speed?
I hope not.

The OL is the key to the passing game.

I don't know what we've got at WR. Obviously the OL has to protect the QB, but we need to be effective on the ground first. That way the WR's will be in one in one matchups as the defenses we face will have to respect our run game.

Nobody has respected our ground game in a long time. Nobody has had to sell out to stop the run.

RB's and TE's as a group are more formidable than WR. Obviously we've got a QB. If those two units pressure defenses like I think they can, we're going to have WR's in one on one matchups and hopefully they can exploit that.

So hope the OL comes together. If it does, the rest of the pieces will all fall into place.

Man, y’all have to stop comparing X7 to Berrios. Berrios didn’t “ball out” until his senior year here. We are young and have a lot of inexperience at WR.

It will be Restrepo’s 3rd year and while he does have a much better QB with TVD than Rosier, you have to temper your expectations a tad.

Rambo was an anomaly last year and I don’t see any of our WRs replicating the numbers he did. ALL of the WRs will have to step up for our offense to be good/great. Losing Harley and Rambo is definitely going to hurt because those guys had a ton of experience.
I’m more so talking about X7 being a 3rd down chain mover and red zone scorer. Like B8. Harley and Rambo were good for us last year. I’m not really worried about losing them just worried about what we have behind our starters if an injury happens

Advertisement
In all seriousness, how the **** did Malik break the school record for TDs in THAT O? It's not that he was downright horrible ALL the time, but when he was bad, he was really, really bad. Still, he holds the school record for TDs in a season. Until that record is broken, we won't compete for anything. Seeing as how King couldn't break the record in Lashlee's O, I am not convinced he would have done it in Richt's.
It’s the total touchdown record and a big part of it was rushing touchdowns. I don’t think we’ve had a quarterback in the modern era have five rushing touchdowns in a season. D’Eriq King likely would have broke the record if he played the same amount of games as Rosier. Malik had 26 tds passing and 5 rushing in 13 games. King had 24 tds passing and 4 rushing in 10 games +part of the bowl game.

Gattis has to use his roster to optimize the offense. Does that mean that J. Skinner, who has 4.53 speed and 6'5" height, is used as more of a jumbo WR on the outside, and leaves the TE duties to Arroyo, Mallory and Mammarelli? Is Brantley ready to contribute as a productive TE? How is Mallory's shoulder?

Ladson & Melo better step up big time then this fall
your-not.gif

Advertisement
Looks like the transfer is not coming so were back to the WRs that we have on the roster (assuming no more WR transfers). I fully expect Restrepo to be Mr. Reliable and make the tough 3rd down catches and bring his lunch pail to work every day. But we need at least 1-2 more to really step up. Ladson/George/Smith need to take that next step this summer and into the fall. Light needs to come on quickly for one of them to decisively take that WR1 job. If someone wins it by default that is not a good sign. Need separation there. I am optimistic given that this was the first spring with these coaches and they are trying to install a new offense. Can only do so much in 15 practices. Ladson has the body of an NFL receiver and is the most senior out of the group. He is the one I think will emerge come fall. If the opportunity to catch passes from a potential Heisman candidate is not enough motivation for this group then not sure what is.

This group is giving me anxiety to say the least. One guy has to become the deep threat. They have to figure out how to use their hands, speed and break loose off of the line without getting jammed. Getting reps against air is irrelevant here. One guy needs to emerge with a back up in mind.

Are they going to have to wait until July to start working on this? I would have them working on this as soon as possible and having foot races to see who they should be staking their bets on in the meanwhile. Have that group of 4-5 guys watch film and learn technique on how to create the at line separation and as soon as they are allowed to go contact, get them going (even if it means using a juggs machine to toss the ball).

Getting a portal guy would have been a great opportunity. But now we have no choice and waiting for a grad transfer could make things disastrous if we don’t get what is needed.

From a returning career production standpoint we're in very deep sh-t

ladson - 31/428/6
smith - 28/390/3
restrepo - 25/385/2
b.smith - 14/199/2
george - 7/183/1
brinson - 7/90/1
redding - 4/22/1
horton - -/-/-

Advertisement

ladson - 31/428/6
smith - 28/390/3
restrepo - 25/385/2
b.smith - 14/199/2
george - 7/183/1
brinson - 7/90/1
redding - 4/22/1
horton - -/-/-
gotta hope that the broyles award winner
can coach up and scheme up ways to use these guys
if used right we can be good
if we use the guys to maxizime what they are good at then we should be ok
i want to see skinner used like kyle pitts
i want to see b smith used like old percy harvin
its comes down to the oline and gattis creativity
but it would be nice if we had a guy we just knew would go up and get a ball when we need a catch

Advertisement
I hope not.

The OL is the key to the passing game.

I don't know what we've got at WR. Obviously the OL has to protect the QB, but we need to be effective on the ground first. That way the WR's will be in one in one matchups as the defenses we face will have to respect our run game.

Nobody has respected our ground game in a long time. Nobody has had to sell out to stop the run.

RB's and TE's as a group are more formidable than WR. Obviously we've got a QB. If those two units pressure defenses like I think they can, we're going to have WR's in one on one matchups and hopefully they can exploit that.

So hope the OL comes together. If it does, the rest of the pieces will all fall into place.
This and more. If defenses forced into 1on1 coverages yards after catch will improve. Not saying they are ever easy but you usually see more yards after catch when wr's are defended 1 on 1

Last edited:
This group is giving me anxiety to say the least. One guy has to become the deep threat. They have to figure out how to use their hands, speed and break loose off of the line without getting jammed. Getting reps against air is irrelevant here. One guy needs to emerge with a back up in mind.

Are they going to have to wait until July to start working on this? I would have them working on this as soon as possible and having foot races to see who they should be staking their bets on in the meanwhile. Have that group of 4-5 guys watch film and learn technique on how to create the at line separation and as soon as they are allowed to go contact, get them going (even if it means using a juggs machine to toss the ball).

Getting a portal guy would have been a great opportunity. But now we have no choice and waiting for a grad transfer could make things disastrous if we don’t get what is needed.
The offensive coordinator is also the wide receiver coach. It's literally his job to make sure his guys can succeed.

Last season Key Smiff had some nice catches in some big games.
By the end of the season Brashard was looking explosive.
George looked more polished than a Frosh.

Brinson showed flashes. Ladson is a newcomer but has potential.

X is X. Could be All- ACC candidate if he lives up to the hype.

Sure, I would like more experience but those first two games will be more than enough to get all those guys in rhythm and build a chemistry with TVD.

The Spring game was just the Spring game.

Now if we hear reports in the Fall of drops and inconsistency maybe I will be a tad concerned but until then I am just going to be patient.

ladson - 31/428/6
smith - 28/390/3
restrepo - 25/385/2
b.smith - 14/199/2
george - 7/183/1
brinson - 7/90/1
redding - 4/22/1
horton - -/-/-
Our returning receivers last year:
Harley 57/799/7
Mark Pope 33/403/2
Dee Wiggins 31/358/3
Charleston Rambo 25/312/3

Considering two of those guys barely played at all last year, returning production shouldn't be a big concern.

Advertisement
Back