WR Coach Candidates

It's really not fair to knock Beard's recruiting. You think Hartline would be considered a knock-out recruiter if instead of spending his entire coaching career at OSU he spent it at Miami? Of course not. Recruiters are only as good as the situation they are trying to bring kids into. I mean, you think that all-world WR at Chaminade would flip if Hartline were to take a role here? I doubt it.

If we start winning and can sell that to recruits, I don't know there's much of a difference recruiting-wise between Beard, Hank, Coley or anyone else you want to plug in.
You are way underselling the impact of recruiters. Rumph was an absolute abomination as a recruiter; TRob comes in and immediately makes a significant impact.

Advertisement
Beard was here for less then a year because his coach got fired mid season and never had a chance to finish one recruiting class. We should chill before we say he can't recruit because we have seen no evidence of that and after that he went to Tennessee where the same thing happened.

But it’s not like he had a bunch of studs lined up before the carpet got pulled out from under him.

He’s also not somebody you have seen recruiting gurus write about as like the next stud recruiter that a P5 coach will come take.

He’s not like Tee Martin was or Willie Taggart where everybody talked about how elite they were on the trail even at New Mexico State.

I don’t think it’s unlucky. The fact that his only Terri big jobs have been by coaches on sinking ships is pretty telling IMO

The first jump was to his alma mater and Golden got canned. The second was Beard getting brought back up to Tenn via Larry Scott (who knew him from UM) and Scott got canned. Candle is a fairly respected coach and promoted him from RC to onfield, and has kept him in that role for 5 years.

Go through this thread and look at how many people **** on Beard for his season at UM. And again, I'm not saying he's a great option, but he's not some D hire like people are making him out to be.

But it’s not like he had a bunch of studs lined up before the carpet got pulled out from under him.

He’s also not somebody you have seen recruiting gurus write about as like the next stud recruiter that a P5 coach will come take.

He’s not like Tee Martin was or Willie Taggart where everybody talked about how elite they were on the trail even at New Mexico State.
That is all fair and true.

It's really not fair to knock Beard's recruiting. You think Hartline would be considered a knock-out recruiter if instead of spending his entire coaching career at OSU he spent it at Miami? Of course not. Recruiters are only as good as the situation they are trying to bring kids into. I mean, you think that all-world WR at Chaminade would flip if Hartline were to take a role here? I doubt it.

If we start winning and can sell that to recruits, I don't know there's much of a difference recruiting-wise between Beard, Hank, Coley or anyone else you want to plug in.

I agree with you, that recruiters are only as good as what they are selling (meaning, whoever we hire, the on-field success will still matter), but, with candidates like Hankerson, Williams, and Galloway, you can also sell their track record with players.

All 3 have developed all-conference WRs, regardless of the offensive system. All 3 have worked, privately, with professional WRs. Williams works privately with two elite NFL WRs (Tyreke Hill and Davante Adams). If I was CMC, and, lets say, Williams is his choice, the first thing I'd have Williams do is contact all his pros and have them 'send love' to Jeremiah Smith. Today, we can't sell any recruit on what our team will do next fall. They heard the same sh*t last fall. But, if you have a coach, with a proven record of success, that's a huge start.

Hankerson and Galloway could easily do the same. Galloway has a WR, Josh Downs, who's probably going to end up a day 2 pick.

Hartline has a proven track record of success. All his WRs get drafted. Truthfully, he's stealing a bit of credit from Zac Smith but whatever. His results get recruits attention!

I just mentioned 4 WR coaches (Hartline, Hankerson, Galloway, and Williams) who have worked with pros, have developed top WRs, have resumes that will get any HS WRs attention.

Kevin Beard doesn't have the experience/resume of the 4 listed above. I just don't know if he's that guy, yet.

Advertisement
I agree with you, that recruiters are only as good as what they are selling (meaning, whoever we hire, the on-field success will still matter), but, with candidates like Hankerson, Williams, and Galloway, you can also sell their track record with players.

All 3 have developed all-conference WRs, regardless of the offensive system. All 3 have worked, privately, with professional WRs. Williams works privately with two elite NFL WRs (Tyreke Hill and Davante Adams). If I was CMC, and, lets say, Williams is his choice, the first thing I'd have Williams do is contact all his pros and have them 'send love' to Jeremiah Smith. Today, we can't sell any recruit on what our team will do next fall. They heard the same sh*t last fall. But, if you have a coach, with a proven record of success, that's a huge start.

Hankerson and Galloway could easily do the same. Galloway has a WR, Josh Downs, who's probably going to end up a day 2 pick.

Hartline has a proven track record of success. All his WRs get drafted. Truthfully, he's stealing a bit of credit from Zac Smith but whatever. His results get recruits attention!

I just mentioned 4 WR coaches (Hartline, Hankerson, Galloway, and Williams) who have worked with pros, have developed top WRs, have resumes that will get any HS WRs attention.

Kevin Beard doesn't have the experience/resume of the 4 listed above. I just don't know if he's that guy, yet.

Keith Williams is another name I'd put over Beard. His resume is arguably the most impressive.

He’s evaluating in great detail according to his plan.

View attachment 231386
Justin Timberlake What GIF

I don't find how this board would respond to any name persuasive. This board is schizophrenic and bi-polar. Half of this board was screaming for Coley as WR coach earlier this month, and he's a terrible position coach whose done a good job recruiting at bag schools. We can and should do better.

And if you want to talk intellectual honesty and resumes without looking at degrees, Hankerson's recruiting resume is virtually non-existent. Total projection. He's a hard worker, smart offensive mind, and great position coach, but nobody can definitively say he's done it on the recruiting side. It's why, between the two, I lean towards Galloway.

Many of the same people who are knocking Beard claiming he "can't recruit" are clamoring for Hankerson. That's weird. Especially when you look at Beard's WRs' production at Toledo (several all conference selections and guys who outperformed their recruiting rankings), which seems to indicate he's a solid technical coach.

Otherwise, we mostly agree. Beard is behind Galloway and Hankerson. I just don't think that makes Beard some terrible option. People are underselling his resume.

You could have stopped after "bi-polar" and been good lol.

I don't remember half the board screaming for Coley at WR coach. I recall a lot of people being interested in him coming as a savage SEC recruiter who knows how to win against SEC programs on the trail and seeing where we could hide him. I said I'd like him at TE coach because I personally haven't been impressed with Field's ON-FIELD job. I think the real screaming was people who idiotically thought he was an OC candidate and didn't want it. The more grounded among us knew that was never happening.

As for Hankerson, I disagree that his recruiting resume is "non-existent." He coached in college for four years, which means there are dozens of coaches out there that know what kind of guy he is on the trail and how he approaches it. And Mario can certainly reach out to some of them as background. Oh if you mean by wikipedia, then yeah, ok. Also there are a LOT of people in the Miami program that know a ton about his personality and work-ethic. And work-ethic is a HUGE part of recruiting. If he's hungry and has the personality, Mario and a few others can really help him become a recruiting force.

I'll say this... look at how quickly he moved up in the NFL. That says a lot about his personality traits, his willingness to learn, his intelligence, and his ability to SELL himself. Think about that.

How many kids do you hear talking about being recruited by this analyst guy we have on staff. Some dude named Jason Taylor? Jason Taylor is already half-way to being a great recruiter just by waking up and sending kids his wiki page, or better yet letting their parents tell them all about him.

These kids all want to go to the NFL. That's #1, #2, and #3. Telling them they can come be recruited by the NFL WR coach of Kyle Shannahan's San Francisco 49ers, who have been very successful of late, is a **** of a big recruiting draw. That is going to be a major part of Hank's game.

HR is hard. Hiring is hard. I've done a lot of it, and it's a **** of a lot harder in sports and CFB and Mario has his hands full.

But personally, Beard would be very low on my board and Hankerson would be very, very high. You talk about Hank's recruiting resume being small, but Beard's resume is basically, that he's had a job as a low level recruiter except for a moment of nepotism on a staff going downhill. So? No one has ever called him some big up and coming trail savage. At least not that I've seen. If Mario evaluates Hank as I described above and decides that he has the ability to become a great recruiter, and WANTS to be a great recruiter, then getting Hank would be a major coup IMO.

Before Toledo, Beard had been pretty unlucky jumping into two staffs where the coach got fired and he (like most assistants) wasn't retained by the new hire. Hard to build up a reputation when you have a lame duck HC and you don't even get a full recruiting cycle. His WR rooms at Toledo seem fairly productive, and he was ranked as the No.5 recruiter in the MAC in 2022, whatever that's worth.

Beard isn't a terrible option. That said, I'd still rather have Galloway or Hankerson (or a half dozen other WR coaches). I think we can and should do better than Beard, but that doesn't mean he's some bottom-of-the-barrel option like some people are painting him.
Beard doesn’t move the needle. Maybe that’s due to bad luck but that’s life. We need someone with juice.

Advertisement
Keith Williams is another name I'd put over Beard. His resume is arguably the most impressive.

I agree.

I love the fact that he's worked with true Xs, like a davante adams, and a slot guy in tyreke. Plus, as long as his past his completely in his past, I'm all for second chances, especially if you were a star before your incident.

Advertisement
I agree. I literally said we can and should do better in the post you quoted. He's a double with two outs when we desperately need to hit a HR.
I love me some Kevin Beard. If he were hired here I would welcome him back with open arms

But no doubt I would be disappointed. It would be a very pre-Cristobal move, as in not Mario but the program investment part

Last edited:
I love me some Kevin Beard. If he were hired here I would welcome him back with open arms

But no doubt I would be disappointed. It was be a very pre-Cristobal, as in not Mario but the program investment part
Has nothing to do with money. He’d be a very unimaginative hire

Advertisement
Galloway should be Mario's #1 target for a multitude of reasons; he can recruit, he can develop, and his acquisition directly weakens a conference rival that's been a thorn in our side as of late. I would also be THRILLED with Hankerson, but I think that Galloway checks the most boxes and is more realistic and attainable.

You are way underselling the impact of recruiters. Rumph was an absolute abomination as a recruiter; TRob comes in and immediately makes a significant impact.

TRob made an impact? FOH buddy…

That guy missed on almost every god**** recruit he was directly responsible for.

He was putting feelers out the minute spring ball started and spent the next 7-months doing nothing.

Galloway should be Mario's #1 target for a multitude of reasons; he can recruit, he can develop, and his acquisition directly weakens a conference rival that's been a thorn in our side as of late. I would also be THRILLED with Hankerson, but I think that Galloway checks the most boxes and is more realistic and attainable.
Does he even want to come here?

Advertisement
Back