WR Coach Candidates

Exactly. That’s saying it’s a good hire because they sucked less than us as opposed to looking at the experience relevant to the OC we have and letting him pick a guy he has history with and/or who has experience in his system.
Beard will learn the new system from Dawson, I'm sure Dawson and beard met before the hire was made. It's not like we're running some complex Pro style offense either.

Advertisement
That is true...but that was under others...Mario could chew you up and spit you out. His job is comfy...his assistants ...well not so....based off this year.

All he has to do is NOT be Stubblefield or Gattis and he'll be ok...**** the DONK was able to land guys. lol smh
He’s an huge upgrade over those two , then again my morning dump would be a substantial upgrade. Beard is at least likable and approachable.

I almost feel guilty about it but I'm ok with the hire. Not thrilled, but I think it's fine. Looking at his resume it seems like more than anything, he just had awful timing. If he plays a year or two longer and follows the same career path, he doesn't end up going on-field during Golden's lame duck year. Idk.

I do like that he was a recruiting coordinator in the past, since it seems like the problem with last year's recruiters was more the grind of recruiting itself than personality issues (dude he's replacing notwithstanding). I get that we're all apoplectic because this guy is the Kevin Patrick of WR coaches but I can see it working out. It's just not nearly as exciting as Hank would have been.

I wonder if Mario was placing a value on some continuity going forward and being able to sell the '24 WR class on this being the guy who will be coaching you, not his replacement in 1.2 years or whatever it is Mario always talks about.

I’ve read that on here about ten times the last week and I finally snapped lol. Nothing personal.
To me it's always the question about why football coaches are so **** stubborn. Same with Richt and his "These plays have worked for 30 years," though it is now clear he was already sick. Same with Mario. If your way is not working, adjust! That doesn't mean you're a failure; the game has changed. You learn more from failing than succeeding. I'm hoping with the Dawson hire that Mario has seen the light on this and is going to back away from old-school mentality to embrace an ever-evolving game.

Advertisement
Never forget

Yes, Beard is here agreeing w/ D’No, too; going against a guy who shares the same bloodline as him. Coley, I can excuse; he ain’t from This U, but Beard???! This what ya’ll want, huh?
#Runitback

This is still NASTY WORK!

Bring Hurlie Brown *** back just off of me watching this again.

LOL Beard got triggered when speed was mentioned because he never was fast. Paul Williams letting out silent farts on the chalk board while everyone speaks is another classic...CONSIDERING he was the **** db coach with no input. lmaoo..

No Frio was so smug about this dude because his relationship with them guys in delaware...that kids older brother was at Penn State at the time..eventually made it to the league as a good lb for the rams.

This is still NASTY WORK!

Bring Hurlie Brown *** back just off of me watching this again.

LOL Beard got triggered when speed was mentioned because he never was fast. Paul Williams letting out silent farts on the chalk board while everyone speaks is another classic...CONSIDERING he was the **** db coach with
Coaches are biased. Mark and Beard saw themselves in the safety. That’s why Mark was in his feels. Just like a great athlete as coach would be biased to a fast / explosive guy lacking a high football iq.

Now go after the others on here who've been doing the same...

Welcome to being a Maude lol
Me after 5 minutes in the life..
869b1f97-e6b9-4dc4-8779-c0c025c02cf4_text.gif

Advertisement
Coaches are biased. Mark and Beard saw themselves in the safety. That’s why Mark was in his feels. Just like a great athlete as coach would be biased to a fast / explosive guy lacking a high football iq.
Randy Shannon LB syndrome. Though I remember Beard being pretty athletic as a player, just not Andre Johnson (who nobody is.)

Kevin beard got so much respect in these neighborhoods. Especially in broward county most of you all don’t have a clue. When they say Beard Is a legend it’s actually true. When they says the Harris family is respected in Miami is actually true. They can walk into any home and hood and feel safe and families trust them. Let’s stop downplaying that

Advertisement
What does that even prove? Tbh that‘s what I like to see with a wrc hire. Younger, up and comer that can teach / recruit. After Hank stayed put I was hoping for somebody like this. Versus the same ole same ole. If Beard wasn’t a former player it would be 100 % disappointment and tbh he probably wouldn’t have gotten the job. Let’s be real. That’s the point and why it’s considered lazy. The same reason I‘d preferred not hiring Coley.

At the end of the day it’s not a huge deal but it’s more than fair to be disappointed or let down by the hire. We could’ve done worse but we could’ve also done better. I won’t be losing sleep either way.

I'm not sure I'm seeing what you're seeing with that Tennessee WR coach. He spent FOUR YEARS bouncing around some horrible non Division I-A schools. He spent one year OFF-FIELD at Tennessee before being promoted when his predecessor left Tennessee for the NFL. Pope's been a D-1/P5 position coach for all of one year.

Pope may be the greatest WR coach of all time someday. Maybe. But on resume alone (which is what a lot of people are judging Beard by, not saying you, just a lot of self-proclaimed CIS experts), this guy Pope has one of the worst resumes I've ever seen for a high-P5 position coach. Now, resume is not necessarily a permanent handicap, but some people are acting like anyone with a resume like Beard will automatically lose every head-to-head with Baba Yaga Hartline.

I don't know what is about to happen with Beard, but it's very possible that he out-performs his "resume" in a similar fashion to what Pope seems to be doing at Tennessee. That's all.

There's only a 10-year differential in age, and a 7-year differential in length of coaching careers between Pope and Beard.

Not defending or anything. You know there were other guys I wanted more. I'm just saying that Beard has a shot to outperform "resume" and "expectations".

Advertisement
If you are talking about his last time as a Cane when he and all of Goldens staff got canned that’s short sighted. Especially considering he was the last WR coach with three 600 yard receivers. And we’re not going to ignore the fact he produced the best receiver on one of the best NFL franchises at identifying WRs in Pittsburgh. And also multiple conference all Americans including last year.

Not to mention the recruit reaction is probably the strongest I’ve seen for any hire since Mario got here with the exception of maybe Jadon Taylor.

Just because it’s boring doesn’t mean it’s disappointing. That the mindset that comes from comparison, aka the thief of joy.

If we are looking at this “purely as a hire”, this is a very strong hire my dog, we not gonna front on that.
“Looking at this purely as a hire this is a very strong hire”???

:monkey-serious:

And for every one of you who upvoted this
:monkey-serious::monkey-serious:

To me it feels like last years staff was a bunch of rent-a-corches, and this time around Mario wants to build some continuity, which typically means hiring guys with less pedigree, smaller egos, and more upward mobility.
The more I think about it. Seems like Mario decided to go the G5 route hoping those guys were hungrier. Last year he brought in a staff of guys sans Ponce that had more cache. Full heel turn this time around with guys that should have something to prove.

Dorito’s favorite player had a good year playing LB for Iowa State

I feel like I’m going a bit crazy though. Beard barely said anythin to lump him with yes man Coley. Lol at the deon bush comparison. Larry Scott at least concedes Hurlie’s explosiveness point.

We do not know beard said yes to offering this kid.

There were 5 yes’ in the room, 3 known (Dorito, Coley, and Scott), a likely yes (ice Harris) and two dorito loyalists (Randy Melvin and Paul Williams) who are unaccounted for.

The more I watch the video, i can’t help but notice the edited cut as Dorito directs the elite at safety comment towards Paul Williams - which makes me think PW voted no offer.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back