WR board (2024 portal edition)

You guys sure we don’t need another WR (or two)?

It’s a position we need to overpay for, even if this incident isn’t something that’s outrageously bad. Still more evidence of a continuous string of poor decisions.

Bring someone in to elevate the **** room Mario, you lost your 3 and 4 WRs and your alleged best outside weapon can’t get out of his own way both on and off the field.
No money is enough to convince good portal WRs to come and play with the QBs we have right now.

Advertisement

It’s a position we need to overpay for, even if this incident isn’t something that’s outrageously bad. Still more evidence of a continuous string of poor decisions.

Bring someone in to elevate the **** room Mario, you lost your 3 and 4 WRs and your alleged best outside weapon can’t get out of his own way both on and off the field.
We gotta pay the suck tax plus the poff tax now

Doesn't look like him at all

Advertisement

Myabe since he flipped a good amount of kids this recruiting cycle, Mario is just waiting until the good players commit elsewhere to see if still has the touch. Almost like heat check

Think About It GIF by Identity

Anything transfer related that has to do with potential NFL caliber QBs and WRs just accept that they aren't interested in us. I think we will recruit WRs out of high school at a high level due to them being able to transfer if things don't work out. But a NFL caliber QB/WR who wants one last big year before the NFL? Not happening.

Advertisement
I think they're both poised, but I wouldn't expect either to slide into Young's spot as X WR next year. Playing reciever up on the line is grown man business.
I’ll fight back on this one as I think the trenches is when “grown man” business is a real thing unless your Ruben Bain..

Biggest thing is the ability to win off the line and how well they run their routes to win the QBs trust… I still believe though we are back channeling for the “second wave”

Advertisement
There's 2 lines of thinking on this front:

1. They like what have on the roster & incoming Frosh

2. They're pushing hard for the JUCO kid because it's probably easier for them to recruit JUCO kids given the negotiating leverage with NIL, as opposed to trying to negotiate with a G5/P5 kid who's in high demand.

Also, another caveat is the Offense itself.

IF we're going to be running an Offense that actually values passing, then yes, another weapon at WR would only help. But if we're following the UGA/Michigan path, then we really don't need another WR.

There's 2 lines of thinking on this front:

1. They like what have on the roster & incoming Frosh

2. They're pushing hard for the JUCO kid because it's probably easier for them to recruit JUCO kids given the negotiating leverage with NIL, as opposed to trying to negotiate with a G5/P5 kid who's in high demand.

Also, another caveat is the Offense itself.

IF we're going be running an Offense that actually values passing, then yes, another weapon at WR would only help. But if we're following the UGA/Michigan path, then we really don't need another WR.
Seems like they want that 6'5" Juco kid so I'm picking option 2

I’ll fight back on this one as I think the trenches is when “grown man” business is a real thing unless your Ruben Bain..

Biggest thing is the ability to win off the line and how well they run their routes to win the QBs trust… I still believe though we are back channeling for the “second wave”

Or Mauigoa... but those things aren't mutually exclusive.

It's harder to win off the line when you are actually playing on the line and the CB across from you can play up in your face. That is the extra (grown man) challenge of playing X WR compared to the other WR spots.

Advertisement
Or Mauigoa... but those things aren't mutually exclusive.

It's harder to win off the line when you are actually playing on the line and the CB across from you can play up in your face. That is the extra (grown man) challenge of playing X WR compared to the other WR spots.
I agree but smaller WRs have proven if they can win off the line with good coaching and (obviously) athletic ability they can play regardless of grown man strength… see Devonte smith or tutu

Honestly I’d rather just give the young pups an honest look in the spring and if they struggle I’d throw a heavy NIL to a second wave WR… we have talent let’s see if they want to seize it this spring

I agree but smaller WRs have proven if they can win off the line with good coaching and (obviously) athletic ability they can play regardless of grown man strength… see Devonte smith or tutu

Honestly I’d rather just give the young pups an honest look in the spring and if they struggle I’d throw a heavy NIL to a second wave WR… we have talent let’s see if they want to seize it this spring

Don't get me wrong, I am a big fan of what we brought in at WR the last two classes. I just think it's a big ask at that spot for a TF and we didn'treally get those body types in c/o 2023. In a couple of years I expect Jojo to kill it there, though. Short term, Chance might be the most physically ready.

It's a young group, but it is mad talented.

Advertisement
Back