WR and Cane commitment D'Mauri Jones

USNAVYCANE

All American
Maude
Leesburg (FL) High School WR and Cane commitment D'Mauri Jones was in the recruiting section for Miami's win over Duke on Saturday.

"It was pretty exciting being there," said Jones, who drove three-and-a-half hours to get to the game. "It was a blowout, so it was kind of a fun game, especially being there for homecoming.

"I interacted with all the players after the game, spoke with the players before also."

He said in the locker room afterward "I talked to Jacory (Harris), (Stephen) Morris, some of the linemen. They were just telling me to stay focused, that I'm a good athlete, giving me some positive things heading into next year."

Jones says when he spoke with coaches before the game and that "they were letting me know that it's very exciting I'm coming there. They were asking me how my season went, things like that. Coach (Al) Golden said he can't wait till I get down there, also said something funny - how sharp I dressed. I was wearing an orange shirt with dark blue denim jeans and some black and gray Converses."

Jones says he decided to attend the Duke game because "I was supposed to go to the Virginia game, but something happened with my ride. So I told them I'd come to the next home game."

Jones arrived at 1 p.m., in time to watch the Hurricane Walk.

"It was so inspirational to me," he said. "I just can't wait to get there. I was so hyped."

Jones says he spoke with his future QB, Preston Dewey, who came down from Texas for the game.

"We were just talking about how it's going to be, that it's going to be exciting, how we have a good bond," Jones said. "And I have a good bond with Gray Crow also. Preston said he'll see me down there on Dec. 9 (when the two are both scheduled to take official visits)."

Jones says UM will be his only official visit and that he's "100 percent" committed.

* Jones finished his senior season with 10 touchdowns; his team didn't make the playoffs despite an 8-2 record.

He played both ways, at cornerback and receiver.

* Jones will be graduating regular time; he will play on his school's basketball team this winter.

Advertisement
**** 8-2 and no playoffs? 10 TDs is nice.

He played at a small school right?

Thanks for the article.

Jones is a very athletic and gifted pass catcher with very good size, long arms and excellent height. He has a fairly thick build and is a very smooth athlete for his size. He is only going to get bigger. Is imposing off the line with adequate surge and quick feet to get into routes and make himself big underneath. He is part playmaker and part possession guy with reliable hands, solid route running ability and the skills to develop into a very good redzone target. Routes are sound, plays with good balance and shows good burst coming out of cuts. Plays quicker than his measurables would lead you to believe. He does a good job of finding the ball over his shoulder and adjusting to the deep ball. Displays soft hands and very good focus. Plucks the ball on the run and away from his frame. Transitions quickly upfield and has good one-step initial burst to extend plays after the catch. Knows how to use his body to shield defenders and uses his upper body subtly to gain separation from defenders when the ball is in the air. Is a good leaper that shows body control when elevating to extend and snag the jump ball. Has deceptive speed and burst once on a straight-line. With Jones you have a very tall and high cut athlete that is a short-stepper which limits his lateral agility and overall fluidity in the open field. As a result he is a bit straight-lined lacks wiggle and ideal flexibility. Needs to catch and hit a crease to be a significant factor at the second level against top level competition. Jones makes a lot of plays and is talented. He is a BCS caliber player that needs some polish as an overall route runner, but has great measurables and good speed for his size.

Advertisement
I've seen very little of him, but everything I hear says he might be a bit of a sleeper...may not have high upside, but definitely a contributor.

I've seen very little of him, but everything I hear says he might be a bit of a sleeper...may not have high upside, but definitely a contributor.

Honestly, I think Golden's plan is to get solid contributors that will make this team strong (think VT) and then, once the team is respectable again and playing team ball, he will start bring in the high end kids that are willing to play in the system and take us from VT (a consistently above average team) to a MNC contender. It might take a little longer, but in the long run (1 or 2 years extra), I think it will pay dividends.

Advertisement

Honestly, I think Golden's plan is to get solid contributors that will make this team strong (think VT) and then, once the team is respectable again and playing team ball, he will start bring in the high end kids that are willing to play in the system and take us from VT (a consistently above average team) to a MNC contender. It might take a little longer, but in the long run (1 or 2 years extra), I think it will pay dividends.

Agree, I think it will get us playing in the ACCCG pretty quick. The ACC isn't very strong.

This is silly. A coach is going to get the best players he can get plain and simple. If you really think a coach says " well this year we'll tak the 5th or 6th rated guys on our board and go all out next year" you really lack understanding.

This is silly. A coach is going to get the best players he can get plain and simple. If you really think a coach says " well this year we'll tak the 5th or 6th rated guys on our board and go all out next year" you really lack understanding.

That's not what I am saying; think of the Patriots several years ago. They had a team made up of several veterans that wouldn't let primadonnas get out of line. Right now Golden brings in the high quality character kids that he knows will buy into the system and then once he has a strong core, he can start taking the kids that are more gifted athletically but might be less likely to buy in if it wasnt for the strong core of the team.

Advertisement
It's good that we are getting into the Leesburg area. There are some good athletes in that area that always end up at UiF and F$U. Trust Golden's evaluations verses what the recruiting services say.

I keep hearing that Angelo Jean-Louis is likely to see significant playing time in year one. Is Jones on that level?

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back