Wow

Rosier was awful. He was the only guy who was honest in his self-assessment after the game, as most of the team didn't show up for the game. We lost because Rosier was horrific and because the majority of the team got outworked by Pitt in a major way.

Pitt was playing at a level 10, and we played at a level 5. I point to Chad Thomas getting bent backward and pushed 4 yards down the field on 3rd and 2 by a 200 pound RB. I knew we were in trouble as soon as I saw that play. We got worked in the trenches all day because we didn't match Pitt's intensity.

Pulling Malik was the ultimate act of frustration by Rick. He was so fed up with Malik that he basically gave the game to Pitt at that point because Evan stood no chance. He's not that guy. He's no Don Strock. Rick hated Malik so much on Saturday that he basically conceded while the game was still on the line.

All of this

Pitts QB dragged multiple Miami defenders for positive yards. Shaq looked like a jockey going for a ride on one play

and dude is a frosh QB. we're still relatively weak at the LB spot. a UM LB should hit you (especially a QB) and you should fly backwards

Advertisement
Rosier was awful. He was the only guy who was honest in his self-assessment after the game, as most of the team didn't show up for the game. We lost because Rosier was horrific and because the majority of the team got outworked by Pitt in a major way.

Pitt was playing at a level 10, and we played at a level 5. I point to Chad Thomas getting bent backward and pushed 4 yards down the field on 3rd and 2 by a 200 pound RB. I knew we were in trouble as soon as I saw that play. We got worked in the trenches all day because we didn't match Pitt's intensity.

Pulling Malik was the ultimate act of frustration by Rick. He was so fed up with Malik that he basically gave the game to Pitt at that point because Evan stood no chance. He's not that guy. He's no Don Strock. Rick hated Malik so much on Saturday that he basically conceded while the game was still on the line.

All of this

Pitts QB dragged multiple Miami defenders for positive yards. Shaq looked like a jockey going for a ride on one play

That was the weirdest thing I've ever seen. It's not even like it was a fluke play. That scrawny *** QB was knocking our LBs back consistently...

All of this

and dude is a frosh QB. we're still relatively weak at the LB spot. a UM LB should hit you (especially a QB) and you should fly backwards

Where is Denzel and his pop belly when you need him

All of this

Where is Denzel and his pop belly when you need him

would take that distended gut in a heartbeat

Watch Baker Mayfield. He runs this same style of offense and he’s prolific in it. He’s a plus athlete but he’s not amazing at any one thing. I’m telling you right now he will not be a top flight qb in the league.

Our offense is NOTHING like Lincoln Riley's offense..

Advertisement
You want to know if your defense is playing well, watch their tackling. We grabbed their guys and expected them to just quit on the play. That says everything you need to know about the effort and mentality that day. The game was a failure on a lot of levels, but the biggest failure was leadership. Throughout the game, there was a steady effort by Pitt's upperclassmen to maintain the teams intensity and focus. We expected them to quit @ 7-3 and a turnover or 2. They didn't. Our sideline was the opposite. Not one player showed any intensity on the field. Not one guy came back to the sideline and said get on my level. It was just going through the motion.

I couldn't believe the lack of heart the team showed on Friday, so disappointing with so much on the line. I put part of that on coaching, but ultimately it is on the players.

We completely abandoned the running game and that is on Rict. Homer had what? 7 Carries? And no, I'm not counting on Rosier scrambles as part of the running game. Pitt's D was just teeing off on the OL all game since they didn't have to worry about a running play after the start of the second half. We shot ourselves in the foot by putting all on Rosier when we needed balance.
Pitt didn’t respect the pass so they just dialed in to stop the run since Malik couldn’t hit wide open receivers......

Clemson will do the same. Except with far better interior linemen and pass rushers. Their defensive front vs. our OL = big mismatch.

U are correct on the defense. I still feel the defense did enough to win the game but they wasn't as good as they were prior. When Chadwick got trucked I was trippin, but **** even the qb was getting extra yards. That was a bad sign. Still..... If Rosier hit half of his 50/50 balls, we win... Not by a lot but still win

Advertisement

I couldn't believe the lack of heart the team showed on Friday, so disappointing with so much on the line. I put part of that on coaching, but ultimately it is on the players.

It's disappointing but this season has been a grind.

This was their 10th consecutive week playing a game, and their mentality after the ND win has obviously been "let's just get through it."

It becomes difficult to summon emotion on the road when your QB is missing wide open touchdowns and you seemingly can't catch a break.

Sucks that it happened but I'm sure the team had developed a false sense of security after bailing each other out against GT, Cuse, UNC, UVA, FSU. They probably expected Rosier to make the necessary plays like he's done all year.

Pete as a member of the press can you ask him in a polite way why he refuses to throw to the open spot in the middle of the field on deep balls? I find it hard to believe that our coaches are NOT coaching that up but the fact that he continues to choose to throw over shoulder when there’s a clear an easy throw to the middle makes me wonder....

I noticed that also, every over thrown deep ball was to he outside over the shoulder. Every one of those balls would've been caught if thrown to the middle!!!

Pete as a member of the press can you ask him in a polite way why he refuses to throw to the open spot in the middle of the field on deep balls? I find it hard to believe that our coaches are NOT coaching that up but the fact that he continues to choose to throw over shoulder when there’s a clear an easy throw to the middle makes me wonder....

I noticed that also, every over thrown deep ball was to he outside over the shoulder. Every one of those balls would've been caught if thrown to the middle!!!

He's 5'10 (maybe). I doubt he can see that spot in the field. He also has had how many passes batted at the line? We have won games because of him, but also in spite of him. Pitt we lost because of him. It's big boy football now. You need a great QB to win. We will see which guy shows up on Saturday.

The entire team looked like ****. Malik's performance was near the top of that **** list, but they all looked terrible.

I'm guessing it was fatigue though they will never admit it (and probably shouldn't). 10 straight weeks without a Bye is brutal for a team made up of so many underclassmen. And it's not like we have the depth across the board to offset it. Would have hoped though that the Seniors like Chad would have taken a leadership role and smacked some guys around to snap them out of it.

Richt was in a 'damned if you do, damned if you don't' situation with Malik. Leave him in or bench him, we were not winning that game. At least you can say that he went for the psychological tactic -- benching Malik put the rest of the team on notice.

Let's see how it unfolds Saturday night. If they show up the way they did for ND and VT, then I like our chances in a close game. Reality is, we are 1 season away from being able to line up and go toe-to-toe with Clemson and beat them without having to play a perfect game and relying on lucky breaks. We need to be able to roll out the second units and not miss a beat - and even many times outplay the 1st units like in the old days.

At the end of the day, no one is giving us a shot against Clemson, so we need to play this game fearless, violent and aggressive win or lose to make a statement that we are knocking at the door.

Advertisement
I'm sure it has been discussed in this thread but there should be an open competition next season for the starting QB spot. While Rosier brings mobility, moxy and clutchness he leaves far too many plays on the field. Many of these games wouldve been blowouts with a QB who could simply make the right read and throw. I wouldn't be shocked if Perry or Weldon starts next year.

Redwine was the only guy making sure tackles. Weird that our lightest defender was the only one not getting dragged.

Where have you been to stand with me on this one? LOL
Only a few of us trying to tell the mops here who were calling for Rosier head as if he was supposed to be the only one who should do a good job on the team. We know he played his worse game this season and was totally off. But nobody else played at a very high level matching the playing level, heart, desire and intensity of Pitt.

As much as I was screaming at the TV for overthrown balls by Rosier, I was in utter disbelief seeing their freshman QB who was just in HS push our defenders for extra rushing yards and pumping his chest afterwards. Pathetic.

Unless Richt had a heart to heart talk with Rosier after the game to tell him he was and still is his guy, it is the human nature for Rosier to keep looking at the sideline after every incompletion to see if Sherriff is warming up. Not good for any QB psyche.

Last edited:
Advertisement

There were multiple times where a Miami defender was jostling with the ball carrier and it seemed like nobody had any real interest in rallying to the ball and gang-tackling. That was very noticeable along with what you just mentioned.

Benching Rosier for one series was useless. Sheriffs has little-to-no skill and likely will not be on the roster next year. Burning Perry’s redshirt would have been even dumber. DJ Dallas in the wildcat would have been better, although likely ineffective. The OL was awful. Worse than UNC.

Richt needed to adjust for Rosier’s off game, and failed.

Diaz came up with nothing to confuse a true freshman QB

I get Richts frustrations but he gotta have a plan B on those off days. Period. He should be able to tap into Rosier to squeeze some production out of him against a 4 win team.

Diaz should be ashamed of himself too.

The entire staff

Benching Rosier for one series was useless. Sheriffs has little-to-no skill and likely will not be on the roster next year. Burning Perry’s redshirt would have been even dumber. DJ Dallas in the wildcat would have been better, although likely ineffective. The OL was awful. Worse than UNC.

Richt needed to adjust for Rosier’s off game, and failed.

Diaz came up with nothing to confuse a true freshman QB

I get Richts frustrations but he gotta have a plan B on those off days. Period. He should be able to tap into Rosier to squeeze some production out of him against a 4 win team.

Diaz should be ashamed of himself too.

The entire staff
Fully agree with you and [MENTION=13416]TemplarCane[/MENTION].
Diaz adjusted well in the second half against VA and we rolled after that. He didn't adjust in the second half nor Richt tried to adjust his game plan to help his struggling QB. Other than embarrassing him by pulling him out for no better alternative.

All of this

Pitt’s QB dragged multiple Miami defenders for positive yards. Shaq looked like a jockey going for a ride on one play
Their freshman qb looked like Christian Okoye grinding our D into the ground and dragging them around like a ghey guy from a redneck’s pickup truck circa 1989.

Our entire team should be ashamed and humiliated at the lack of effort Saturday. And Rick again proved he’s not elite in the art of getting his team mentally prepared for lower tier opponents.

Malik was the only guy candid/dumb enough to cop to what the rest of the team was guilty of.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back