Wow! Just WOW!!!

Earnest T. Bass

Sophomore
I am aware this issue was kicked around here and there last season, but seeing this information in its totality is almost impossible to believe. Yet, it is true!

B. Jackson:

"This was a pretty remarkable stat: In spite of the talent on UM’s defensive line last season, the opposing offensive line was whistled for just three holding penalties in 11 regular-season games against Miami, plus one each in the ACC Championship game and the Orange Bowl.

That's five for the season against a defense that ranked first in the country in sacks and fourth in tackles for loss. That's difficult to reconcile.

At one point, UM went 31 consecutive quarters without a single holding penalty being called against the opponent's offense."

Advertisement
5 holding calls in 13 games. I knew we went from FSU to Clemson without one, but I never took the time to check how many we had before we started counting quarters...This should be outrageous considering what our d-line was able to accomplish.

I was at the ale house yelling massive amounts of obscenities during the fspoo game just for this issue alone. I think they blew one because it was so blatantly obvious they had no choice.

This combined with opponents not missing a field goal all year was pretty remarkable.
No missed kicks, no holds, no shanked punts...it really bears consideration when trying to put the whole season into focus. A lot of these close games...man a GOOD college kicker is 80-85%. Some kicks are just missed. It's expected. It's part of what makes college ball more exciting. 3 points inside of 50 yards isn't a gimmie play.

2017 was a strange season.

Advertisement
The purposefully missed holding calls this season was one of my triggers all season. Thought I’d turn into the hulk during some games. Lol

Advertisement
I'm still ****ed about the one they missed vs Wisconsin

Yup. CMR got flagged on that one. Horrid missed call.
Capture.JPG

That was a strip sack if I ever saw one...

5 holding calls in 13 games. I knew we went from FSU to Clemson without one, but I never took the time to check how many we had before we started counting quarters...This should be outrageous considering what our d-line was able to accomplish.
It was ridiculous man I remember through out the year how bad it was and imo Wisconsin was the worst one

Do you know how many holds were called against our O Line and how many holds were called against other teams when they weren't playing us?

It was ridiculous man I remember through out the year how bad it was and imo Wisconsin was the worst one
Virginia was the worst to me. Benkert put 384 on us when it should have been more like 184. Chad Thomas was mauled by their right tackle. I think that’s the game where Richt lost his cool and filed a complaint.

Advertisement
CMR blew a gasket on live TV. He'd had enough. And I'm glad he did. If we noticed it I'm sure they did too, esp on film!

Sickening. I saw our guys getting held over the place. Just like our WRs getting tackled before the ball got there and no flag. That’s why we need to run up score on teams to neutralize the refs

Advertisement
I understand the non holding calls. Certain ACC schools (tobacco road schools) get preferential treatment. Add that to the fact that everyone and their mom despises Miami. Officials will never call in favor for Miami. They review plays that are no brainers. This will never change.

When we start beating the **** out teams physically, refs and their bull**** won’t matter.

The 100% FGs by opposing kickers was really annoying. Cold kickers, slipping kickers, beyond 50.... didn’t matter.

I said it all season into the Wisconsin game. OLinemen were literally tackling our ends. I don’t even know what they were doing to the tackles.

These weren’t even holds. They were hooks and tackles. In years of watching football, I’ve never seen anything like last year. People getting flat out beat and lunging at the ends and tackling them from behind.

No wonder Rick almost blew his carotid.

Advertisement
Back