Would you take this deal? (Remainder of season)

The UNC stuff baffles me. These clowns lost to FSU. FSU!
And they should have lost to us last year.
I think we are going to absolutely maul them.

Howell is not going to be able to walk after the game this year. No 4th and 17 miracle this season.

Advertisement
To think about taking one, you’d have to believe there’s a more than decent chance we drop two, no?
Nah, I just think it just makes for an entertaining discussion (one I had with some friends offline) because people give different reasons for their picks. You see the rationales or perspectives posters like EthnicSands and Scranton gave. They looked at it from a more straight statistical analysis, which I had acknowledged, but for other reasons, still would play the three games and take a shot at 3-0.

2, play the games out with a chance to win out. Besides, with my season w/l prediction for this team I’m playing with house money anyway, move all the chips to the middle of the table.

I guess we’re talking different languages. How is the ‘team mindset’ furthered in one scenario can the other? The team is going to go out and try to win it’s games. The question is whether as a fan you think we’d be better off in scenario one or two.
You would think. But this team has come out without focus, direction, discipline, and sometimes effort many times if they're not playing FSU or UF. Particularly when they had a gimme or a layup. The only one that seems to bring it every week is King. I would think if they knew they had to work hard for something rather than have it guaranteed it would serve them better by developing resiliency and mental toughness.

Again, this was my thinking in response to what Manny would choose. It's why I said option 1 is beta and option 2 is alpha. Why we as fans choose one or the other doesn't matter.

Advertisement
Probably go with the chance to go 10-1.
tenor.gif

You would think. But this team has come out without focus, direction, discipline, and sometimes effort many times if they're not playing FSU or UF. Particularly when they had a gimme or a layup. The only one that seems to bring it every week is King. I would think if they knew they had to work hard for something rather than have it guaranteed it would serve them better by developing resiliency and mental toughness.

Again, this was my thinking in response to what Manny would choose. It's why I said option 1 is beta and option 2 is alpha. Why we as fans choose one or the other doesn't matter.
I'm definitely not viewing this discussion as 'what would Manny do?' Or 'what should Manny do?' If Manny did anything other than try to win every game, he should be fired. It's not a debate because of Manny. Lu's trying to pick at the pros and cons and rationales of the FAN discussion and mindset and concerns. At least, I think he is. That's what it reads like to me.

I'm definitely not viewing this discussion as 'what would Manny do?' Or 'what should Manny do?' If Manny did anything other than try to win every game, he should be fired. It's not a debate because of Manny. Lu's trying to pick at the pros and cons and rationales of the FAN discussion and mindset and concerns. At least, I think he is. That's what it reads like to me.
I think you're reading something into this that isn't there. I agree with you on Lu's main topic. All I was doing was responding to the following sidebar question he interjected into the discussion.
I haven't given my answer or preference. I'm posing the question because I expected one answer and was surprised by the back and forth. Read through the responses and you'll see some of the rationales for those "taking" the 9-2 option. Personally, I'd like to know Manny Diaz's answer to the question.
Which I responded:
Option 1 is the beta choice; option 2 the alpha. Which one Manny would choose would tell us a lot.

Advertisement
Option 2 is reality. There are no more guaranteed losses in our season. Now if we lose out, we still have more wins than last year. So, play to win.

Take the chance to go 3-0, because you always want to have that mentality.

But even if you're just trying to "maximize wins", the odds of going 3-0 is still better than the odds of going 1-2.

Advertisement
Back