Worst Hitting Miami Team Ever?

Number1CanesFan

Sophomore
Watching every tv game of this 2017-2018 team, I'm wondering if this is the worst hitting Miami team in history?

Although a young talented team, sadly, the hitting is much to be desired . This team since the Reyes and Amdidas injuries, strikes out over 10 times per game. In 16 games, the team has .235 batting average that ranks 242 out of 297 teams. With 6 home runs they are tied for 202nd. Doubles they are tied for 97th with 28.

As I said, this team has talent, but anyone outside of Reyes has shown little consistency or power. Unless improvement happens quickly, it may be the 2nd consecutive year of missing the post season.

Your thoughts?

Last edited:
Advertisement
Thank goodness they are not promoting the hitting coach to succeed Morris. On a related note, how can you be talented if you can't hit and you have multiple errors a game.

Thank goodness they are not promoting the hitting coach to succeed Morris. On a related note, how can you be talented if you can't hit and you have multiple errors a game.
It's like a talented QB that has a big arm, runs fast, but throws a lot of interceptions and fumbles the ball.

It's like a talented QB that has a big arm, runs fast, but throws a lot of interceptions and fumbles the ball.

Yep, it goes back to what I have said for a few years about our recruiting. We recruit via the travel ball circuit. We recruit the guys who look good in a uniform. We don't put the time in to find true baseball players. We let Burn and SWFL tell us who to recruit.

Advertisement
Nope. Still last year. Not by much, but still last year.

On the broader issue it comes down to this, in the three classes from 2015-2017 (I'm using their freshman spring for the year) we essentially brought in one freshman position player per year.
Position players who made it to their junior year:
2015- Chester
2016- Gonzalez
2017- Amditis (I'm assuming he'll still be here next spring)

That's it. Nobody else made it three years.

Some of that is 2015 being a small group to begin with for roster reasons, some of that is kids doing stupid things (Smith), some is kids leaving for weird reasons (Baldor), and some is losing kids to the draft. The first two are going to happen.

The last one is at least partially controlable. If you're recruiting well, some of your guys are going to breakout their senior years and get drafted much higher than expected. That's part of college baseball. On the other hand, there are some kids you're almost certainly not going to get. I'm not saying don't recruit them. You don't get Collins, Abreu, McMahon, or Toral if you don't. But if you do, you have to have backup plans. We didn't do that from 2015-2017. This 2018 group, there was a backup plan. Not going to get Vientos, then you have Gil. Not going to get Downs, you have Escala, Zamora, and Paige. Not going to get Toral, you have Allen. Allen probably ends up transferring after this year because we got Toral, but we had a first baseman if he hadn't. Long may having backup plans continue.

I am not sure if this was sarcasm or if I missed the Memo and Gino is not going to be the next HC, but Gino is supposed to be this hitting Guru and his teams can't hit.

I am not sure if this was sarcasm or if I missed the Memo and Gino is not going to be the next HC, but Gino is supposed to be this hitting Guru and his teams can't hit.
You caught me. Too old to post a sarcasm indicator. At least Coker was a good OC.

Advertisement
****! lol. I was hoping you had some inside info! Ya Gino makes Coker look like Butch Davis.

Well, trying to figure out any way this could actually work out for Miami. Here's what I came up with:
We've never had a coach who comes from a gazillionaire family. Maybe the DiMares will spare no expense to let little Gino live out his dreams of being the Hurricanes head coach. DiMare becomes HC after Morris finally decides he has milked all he can out of his semi-retirement HC gig. The DiMare family pats little Gino on the head and tells him they will make sure he is successful and they donate a few bajillions so that Miami can hire an assistant coach who is good enough to be a HC to win multiple college WS, but is fine letting Gino think he runs the show. In reality Gino is given a big corner office with toys and video games to keep him distracted and away from the team while the phenom assistant coach recruits good players and teaches them how to hit.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Canes must have read my thread and got ****ed
Yah. I don't know what the **** he is doing. This team looks so awful at times. I've watched every televised game and I still can't figure out what the **** the hitting approach is.

I played D-1 ball and I think I could do a better job of coaching the hitters. You can look at my other posts in the Wizards Den to see my hitting philosophy. This team takes the 1st pitch 9/10 times even if it's right down the middle of the plate. Too many of the hitters are guessing. They make up their mind to swing before they've figured out if it's a fastball or curveball. If it's a curveball, forget about it. I'd like to see the hitting stats for curveballs. I bet it's like .025. Nobody on the team can hit a curveball. It's all about the hitting approach. Ironically, Romy hit a home run early in the season on a curveball. Kept his hands back nicely. However, he looks foolish 99% of the time swinging at curveballs and now he's not even in the lineup.

I don't know if the light bulb came on in game 3 of the Duke series because they had 15 hits in the game. 10 of them by the 4th inning. They looked much better at the plate. More aggressive early in the count. We'll see if they have turned the corner or just in aberration of what they've done all year long.

Advertisement
Pitch recognition is the key to being a good hitter. It looks as if our entire roster is guessing.

Pitch recognition is the key to being a good hitter. It looks as if our entire roster is guessing.
I could understand change-ups and sliders. They are the hardest to recognize. But the curveball? Worst part is most of the guys let the fat hanging curveball go for a strike. No pitch recognition, ie guessing, or lack of confidence. Then they try to pull the curveball that starts on the outside black and finishes well off the plate. Basically, your hips and shoulder should finish pointed to where you wan't to hit the ball. They should not be pointed at the short stop or 3rd baseman on an outside pitch if you are a right handed batter.

Easy to see bad approaches because their hips and front shoulder finish to the pull side when they should be opposite on outside pitches. If your a right handed batter, your hips and shoulder should be pointed towards the 2nd baseman on outside pitches as you drive the ball into the right center gap for a double. Have a look in the next games to see what the hitter does.

I've said it here many times. With 2 strikes, all hitters should try to hit the ball to the opposite field because 9/10 times the pitcher is going to throw an outside pitch. If your going to guess, guess outside location, but not curveball or fastball. Very few college pitchers throw inside with 2 strikes.

Canes must have read my thread and got ****ed

Yah. I don't know what the **** he is doing. This team looks so awful at times. I've watched every televised game and I still can't figure out what the **** the hitting approach is.

I played D-1 ball and I think I could do a better job of coaching the hitters. You can look at my other posts in the Wizards Den to see my hitting philosophy. This team takes the 1st pitch 9/10 times even if it's right down the middle of the plate. Too many of the hitters are guessing. They make up their mind to swing before they've figured out if it's a fastball or curveball. If it's a curveball, forget about it. I'd like to see the hitting stats for curveballs. I bet it's like .025. Nobody on the team can hit a curveball. It's all about the hitting approach. Ironically, Romy hit a home run early in the season on a curveball. Kept his hands back nicely. However, he looks foolish 99% of the time swinging at curveballs and now he's not even in the lineup.

I don't know if the light bulb came on in game 3 of the Duke series because they had 15 hits in the game. 10 of them by the 4th inning. They looked much better at the plate. More aggressive early in the count. We'll see if they have turned the corner or just in aberration of what they've done all year long.

I am hoping so. otherwise we are in for another miserable season. Great post I will check out your other posts regarding hitting.

Advertisement
Back