Off-Topic World History

It’s crazy how advanced the Roman’s were. Their concrete that’s lasted 2000 years still can’t be fully duplicated. They also had running water 2000 years ago. Something we couldn’t duplicate until relatively recently. The road systems, weapons, etc. The knowledge lost when Rome fell set us back centuries. They also cost us centuries of knowledge when the burned they library at Alexandria so there’s that too.

Last edited:
Advertisement
1703262727627.png

1703262765123.png

1703262810942.png

1703262855445.png

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
My

My folks were distinctly NOT cutting edge with new home products. With the exception of TV. My dad, thankfully, was a sports fanatic.

In 1948 when I was 4 yrs old, he bought a Philco 10 inch TV. Cost an exorbitant $500 then (a car cost $800). Programming just was a test pattern every day until 5 pm when kids programming started up. We were the only family on the block with a TV and all the local kids were invited over to watch Howdy Doody at our house. In suburban DC, I think there were only two channels to watch -- CBS and NBC.

My

My folks were distinctly NOT cutting edge with new home products. With the exception of TV. My dad, thankfully, was a sports fanatic.

In 1948 when I was 4 yrs old, he bought a Philco 10 inch TV. Cost an exorbitant $500 then (a car cost $800). Programming just was a test pattern every day until 5 pm when kids programming started up. We were the only family on the block with a TV and all the local kids were invited over to watch Howdy Doody at our house. In suburban DC, I think there were only two channels to watch -- CBS and NBC.
Mine were a bit of an odd couple in that respect. Both children of the Depression, my mother, daughter of Italian immigrants, grew up poor and had no luxuries. My grandfather was an executive at a subsidiary of GE and was comfortable through the Depression, but not a spendthrift. Because of his position, they had cutting edge products. Before it was unveiled at the 1939 World's Fair in Chicago, my dad got to see television in operation at the GE labs. He also got to see plenty of baseball games because GE had box seats. My grandfather took him to the first All Star game at Comiskey Park for his 8th birthday.

Advertisement
Mine were a bit of an odd couple in that respect. Both children of the Depression, my mother, daughter of Italian immigrants, grew up poor and had no luxuries. My grandfather was an executive at a subsidiary of GE and was comfortable through the Depression, but not a spendthrift. Because of his position, they had cutting edge products. Before it was unveiled at the 1939 World's Fair in Chicago, my dad got to see television in operation at the GE labs. He also got to see plenty of baseball games because GE had box seats. My grandfather took him to the first All Star game at Comiskey Park for his 8th birthday.
Wow. Your Grandfather was really out in front of cutting edge tech in those days. At the invention's source!

Although we might have really been in very early in buying a TV, my parents were way behind when it came to modernizing. My mother held on to an old-fashioned washing machine with a "mangle" (which physically pressed water out of washed clothes) forever. She still hung washed clothes out to dry naturally; we had no dishwasher or garbage disposal long after it seemed everyone else did.

My folks also grew up during the Great Depression and held onto things long after they shoulda been replaced. That went for cars as well. I'd buy my mom small modern appliances but most never made it out of the box it came in. The "old stuff," in her estimation, was still "perfectly good"

Wow. Your Grandfather was really out in front of cutting edge tech in those days. At the invention's source!

Although we might have really been in very early in buying a TV, my parents were way behind when it came to modernizing. My mother held on to an old-fashioned washing machine with a "mangle" (which physically pressed water out of washed clothes) forever. She still hung washed clothes out to dry naturally; we had no dishwasher or garbage disposal long after it seemed everyone else did.

My folks also grew up during the Great Depression and held onto things long after they shoulda been replaced. That went for cars as well. I'd buy my mom small modern appliances but most never made it out of the box it came in. The "old stuff," in her estimation, was still "perfectly good"
My mother rarely used the dryer until she got up in years and we never had a garbage disposal either. My mother didn't have a car with A/C until 1982 and that was only because she couldn't get one without.

My mother rarely used the dryer until she got up in years and we never had a garbage disposal either. My mother didn't have a car with A/C until 1982 and that was only because she couldn't get one without.
My earliest car memory was 8 tracks....My Mom had a Vega and I would abuse the 8 track with tapes... I mean C'mon , didn't everyone have a Bee Gee's and Barry Manilow fix then???... LMAO!!!!....This was the 70's of course...... :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Advertisement
Back