Wong trying to pull up on Ruiz

Advertisement
Earlier in this thread, I said Wong's only way out is a very public denunciation of his agent. I can absolutely see a case where he just went along because the agent said it was the best path. Whether the agent overstepped and Wong just went along or he authorized it before it went public, his silence is tacit endorsement.

Like I said, this is how you lose fans. I, for one, don't care what he does now.
Agreed on the silence. This thing went national immediately and is still on ESPN's front page in the middle of the NFL Draft. If he truly did not agree with it, he has had ample time to make a statement. His silence is telling.

I have a copy of a deal (ill leave the details but pm me if you want a redacted one) and as long as its based on performance of the contract and not tied to performance or play on field or enrollment, its perfectly fine. Ruiz can give Wong another deal or someone else can as long as it isn't tied to anything regarding play but on his marketing ability (aka posting on social about a company or doing videos for life wallet like the kids are doing).

Agreed on the terms of the deal.

But the public announcement of terms and negotiating positions creates a situation that the NCAA can attack as a textbook case of what is NOT allowed for NIL deals. The NIL agent can't just walk those words back. A public ultimatum of "pay me more or I transfer" is devastating, no matter what the terms of a written NIL deal are.

It will be nearly impossible to argue that there was any substantive change in Wong's "market value" between the first contract and the second contract 10 days later (assuming Wong's demand was met), EXCEPT for the ultimatum.

It sucks for the players but until EVERYONE is required to make these contracts public it really doesn’t do much good putting this info out. It’s the same reason most companies don’t disclose contract info, the more public it is the more leverage the employee has to negotiate. Wong is just unique because his ONLY leverage is it being public, no one is going to pay him more and the nba isn’t calling, his agent really ****ed him here.

people cried when we let toral walk. they'll cry if Wong goes to FSU. they turned on Wong real quick bc he did what Ruiz does. he used the news and public to get what he wants or try to. Ruiz does the same when he advertises the amounts of the deals (it absolutely helps land kids). if they're both gonna be public about it so be it. id rather it all be done quietly but neither operated that way. im not gonna blame Wong when Ruiz goes public about the deals. w pack, he didn't let the school announce it first lol. he had that deal tweeted out before the school could get an official graphic up lol. I LOLed at it but it was bound to happen w some kid. Wong was just the first. he wont be the last though.
The difference is Ruiz made endorsement announcements to generate excitement. Wong's rep mad a public threat. Plus he just publicly acknowledged he wants a deal to enroll at a school (if not Miami). Completely against NIL policy (as the tweet Heitner tweet said). Schools may not be able to touch him now without having the NCAA sniffing around. With an unlikely good draft grade, he really just hurt his client. Just an absolute foolish decision by the agent.

Advertisement
And that’s exactly why salaries have stayed fairly stagnant for decades, not remotely keeping up with inflation. It’s exactly what employers want.

Sure. And EVVVVERYTHING changed once employees started going to the press.

Hilarious.

Earlier in this thread, I said Wong's only way out is a very public denunciation of his agent. I can absolutely see a case where he just went along because the agent said it was the best path. Whether the agent overstepped and Wong just went along or he authorized it before it went public, his silence is tacit endorsement.

Like I said, this is how you lose fans. I, for one, don't care what he does now.

I agree. I'm trying very hard not to assume anything, but it's hard to envision a scenario that does not involve Wong at least signing off on this strategy.

Guess we'll find out soon.

Hilarious.
I didn't say employees needed to go to the press. Things like Glassdoor and Indeed definitely help. A lot of state schools publicly have their salaries listed. But the fact that employers can require you to give your salary history while refusing to provide a hiring range on a job posting makes it such a fixed game.

The difference is Ruiz made endorsement announcements to generate excitement. Wong's rep mad a public threat. Plus he just publicly acknowledged he wants a deal to enroll at a school (if not Miami). Completely against NIL policy (as the tweet Heitner tweet said). Schools may not be able to touch him now without having the NCAA sniffing around. With an unlikely good draft grade, he really just hurt his client. Just an absolute foolish decision by the agent.

again, Ruiz could've made an announcement that he signed pack without disclosing the amount to the world. to me, it serves the same purpose. you get paid if you come to miami in both scenarios. either way, in wongs case it wouldn't have mattered as much bc they share the same agent

Advertisement
I didn't say employees needed to go to the press. Things like Glassdoor and Indeed definitely help. A lot of state schools publicly have their salaries listed. But the fact that employers can require you to give your salary history while refusing to provide a hiring range on a job posting makes it such a fixed game.

Yap, yap, yap, yap, yap.

I'll just let you tell me about that one time that you accepted a job, and then 2 weeks into your employment you said "I just went on Glassdoor and now I want a lot more money".

Again, I'm not citing a bunch of irrelevant non-comparisons just to try to play devil's advocate in an argument. I'm stating very clearly and consistently that issuing an ultimatum in the press is the WORST POSSIBLE strategy on multiple levels, including NCAA enforcement.

Brain-dead strategery.

Agreed on the terms of the deal.

But the public announcement of terms and negotiating positions creates a situation that the NCAA can attack as a textbook case of what is NOT allowed for NIL deals. The NIL agent can't just walk those words back. A public ultimatum of "pay me more or I transfer" is devastating, no matter what the terms of a written NIL deal are.

It will be nearly impossible to argue that there was any substantive change in Wong's "market value" between the first contract and the second contract 10 days later (assuming Wong's demand was met), EXCEPT for the ultimatum.

yes thats the biggest issue and why the NCAA should've had some parameters in place with NIL from the beginning. we've never seen this play before in the nIL world so there's a lot of unknowns now. imo, hes likely not getting another deal from UM or had one elsewhere (maybe **** go to Europe). putting out the enrollment issue out there hurt the whole thing. the other thing that wasn't a good look was Ruiz giving quotes to ESPN. both needed to shut the **** up. either way, it hurts UM bc we lose a player that helped us the last two years and would've helped this year. I see people trashing him on twitter now (our own fans) but the same ones that couldn't stop posting his dunk against AU

Hilarious.
It has. By alot. Have you ever heard of an app called blind? Or fishbowl? or Levels.fyi ?Gen-Z'ers are wrecking havoc on big bank and Tech firms because of it. I can only speak for software engineers, but I can 100% say without a shadow of a doubt that blind (the app) has totally changed how big tech companies approach and do salary negotiations now. Our salaries are through the roof. I'm talking 50+% YoY salary growth across the board. There's not a single person I know in FAANG that isn't on Blind.

What agency does this guy work for?

Please let it be Last Round Management!!!

Advertisement
It has. By alot. Have you ever heard of an app called blind? Or fishbowl? or Levels.fyi ?Gen-Z'ers are wrecking havoc on big bank and Tech firms because of it. I can only speak for software engineers, but I can 100% say without a shadow of a doubt that blind (the app) has totally changed how big tech companies approach and do salary negotiations now. Our salaries are through the roof. I'm talking 50+% YoY salary growth across the board. There's not a single person I know in FAANG that isn't on Blind.

What an ignorant post. You are another overpaid airhead who can't stick to a topic, and you choose to make everything about yourself and your irrelevant personal experiences.

Brag to us more about your bloated salary and then convince us that it is even in the same realm as what Wong's NIL agent just did.

Advertisement

the NYC law of disclosing salaries on job listings is coming into effect soon too.

Yap, yap, yap, yap, yap.

I'll just let you tell me about that one time that you accepted a job, and then 2 weeks into your employment you said "I just went on Glassdoor and now I want a lot more money".

Again, I'm not citing a bunch of irrelevant non-comparisons just to try to play devil's advocate in an argument. I'm stating very clearly and consistently that issuing an ultimatum in the press is the WORST POSSIBLE strategy on multiple levels, including NCAA enforcement.

Brain-dead strategery.
Oh we agree on the ultimatum, absolutely. And of course no one should go sign a deal and try to renegotiate to weeks later (unless there is a legit massive change to circumstances). We are in full agreement there. My statements were really unrelated to the Wong stuff, more your general statement on people not knowing each other's salaries.

Wong and his rep are completely foolish here. If he was doing this a year after signing an NIL deal, I'd have much less problem with it after the Elite 8 run. But the way it was done and the language used make him almost untouchable right now.

Advertisement
Back