Wong trying to pull up on Ruiz

This happens all the time in the real world and why bosses try so hard to have employees hide their salaries from one another.

If you are getting paid 100k at your job and someone gets hired for 800k doing the same job as you, while only being a level or 2 better than you, most people would try to renegotiate.

You need to quit while you're ahead.

The issue is not "renegotiation". The issue is renegotiating IN THE PRESS. If you want to get paid more at your job, you do NOT "go to the press".

And I'll make this simple. I will eliminate Wong's DESIRE to renegotiate and focus solely on the METHOD.

ON WHAT PLANET does "going to the press" give Wong any negotiating leverage whatsoever, leverage that could not have otherwise been exerted in a private conversation? Because "other schools" are obviously there, no matter whether you say that in public or private.

Does Wong think that the UM fanbase will picket Ruiz's offices and demand that he give Wong more money? Does Wong think that Barry "Afternoon BJ" Jackson is going to write a favorable op-ed that nudges John "I don't renegotiate" Ruiz into paying more? Does Wong think that every other millionaire and billionaire in SoFla is going to want to pay him, just to make Ruiz look bad?

Again, people need to ignore their feels on this. Nobody is saying Wong doesn't want more or shouldn't try to get more. And checkers-playing porsters can miss me with that whole "leverage" nonsense, which they clearly do not understand.

GOING PUBLIC IN THE PRESS was the worst possible move, the dumbest ploy, and something that simply will not work or turn out the way that Wong thought it would turn out.

Advertisement
I would let Wong go and not pay him what he requests. Good luck because I don't think he has the talent to play in the NBA right now. Don't like him holding UM hostage and he wasn't the leader this year! I hate when the greed comes out and let the kid roast.

So Ruiz helping land big time transfers and recruits won’t help us win? Love or hate Ruiz, the guy is generating buzz for our program (all of them). You want his money but not what comes with it. You just want a traditional bagman.

He is actually doing exactly what NIL is intended for: paying athletes to market his company. It actually makes him more legit than the sham collectives. He also had to respond to set a precedent so others know it won’t fly. Wong’s camp made this a national story, so Ruiz had to counter nationally as well.

Even if he wanted to he can’t up it now because of he idiot agent openly saying he wants to be paid for performance, which is 100% a violation. If they did this back channels he may have got what he wanted. But instead he publicly threatened Ruiz and the school (which legally can’t say or do anything). This is on Wong.

I have a copy of a deal (ill leave the details but pm me if you want a redacted one) and as long as its based on performance of the contract and not tied to performance or play on field or enrollment, its perfectly fine. Ruiz can give Wong another deal or someone else can as long as it isn't tied to anything regarding play but on his marketing ability (aka posting on social about a company or doing videos for life wallet like the kids are doing).

Said on this board a couple weeks ago there was no way that publicizing "who gets what" could cause jealousy and resentment within a team. Human nature. Why corporations try to ensure salary info is not publicized.

I would let Wong go and not pay him what he requests. Good luck because I don't think he has the talent to play in the NBA right now. Don't like him holding UM hostage and he wasn't the leader this year! I hate when the greed comes out and let the kid roast.
Will u feel the same if he suits up for his last season at FSU, or wherever?

Advertisement
You need to quit while you're ahead.

The issue is not "renegotiation". The issue is renegotiating IN THE PRESS. If you want to get paid more at your job, you do NOT "go to the press".

And I'll make this simple. I will eliminate Wong's DESIRE to renegotiate and focus solely on the METHOD.

ON WHAT PLANET does "going to the press" give Wong any negotiating leverage whatsoever, leverage that could not have otherwise been exerted in a private conversation? Because "other schools" are obviously there, no matter whether you say that in public or private.

Does Wong think that the UM fanbase will picket Ruiz's offices and demand that he give Wong more money? Does Wong think that Barry "Afternoon BJ" Jackson is going to write a favorable op-ed that nudges John "I don't renegotiate" Ruiz into paying more? Does Wong think that every other millionaire and billionaire in SoFla is going to want to pay him, just to make Ruiz look bad?

Again, people need to ignore their feels on this. Nobody is saying Wong doesn't want more or shouldn't try to get more. And checkers-playing porsters can miss me with that whole "leverage" nonsense, which they clearly do not understand.

GOING PUBLIC IN THE PRESS was the worst possible move, the dumbest ploy, and something that simply will not work or turn out the way that Wong thought it would turn out.
You're assuming Wong had any part in it going public. This could be a dumb agent overstepping.

Great post. I don’t know the agent but this looks like amateur hour ineptitude.

Yeah, it's a rookie fvckin' "NIL agent" who thought, "I'll get Wong a basic agreement, then I'll represent a transfer, and then I'll go back and get Wong matching money, and this will be as easy as stealing candy from a baby."

Yeah, didn't work out so well.

I hope players and recruits are paying attention, because that particular NIL agent played this entirely wrong. Let's see if he EVER lines up another 400K deal again.

You're assuming Wong had any part in it going public. This could be a dumb agent overstepping.
Maybe overstepping, but he speaks for his client. Hard to believe Wong didn't approve this, especially with him testing the NBA waters just this week as well. Sounds like he didn't get the grade he wanted and now wants more money. And if his agent did indeed do something against Wong's wishes, he should fire him and say that's not how he ever felt and is coming back to Miami.

Advertisement

Look, Wong has had plenty of time to pull an Amarius Mims by calling all the websites to say "I didn't actually commit."

I agree the NIL agent is dumb, but I think that Wong was OK with this approach. Or maybe it's early in the morning and I've missed all the retractions?

Regardless of how we divvy up the blame for an idiotic strategy between Wong and the agent, I think rational negotiators will acknowledge that it was an idiotic strategy.

Will u feel the same if he suits up for his last season at FSU, or wherever?

people cried when we let toral walk. they'll cry if Wong goes to FSU. they turned on Wong real quick bc he did what Ruiz does. he used the news and public to get what he wants or try to. Ruiz does the same when he advertises the amounts of the deals (it absolutely helps land kids). if they're both gonna be public about it so be it. id rather it all be done quietly but neither operated that way. im not gonna blame Wong when Ruiz goes public about the deals. w pack, he didn't let the school announce it first lol. he had that deal tweeted out before the school could get an official graphic up lol. I LOLed at it but it was bound to happen w some kid. Wong was just the first. he wont be the last though.

Numbers aren't private when both players share the same agent.
In this case this is true as the agent is making a huge deal about this but it should be private the way it is when an agent has multiple NBA, NFL, MLB, players.

This agent guy has pretty much likely excommunicated himself from future deals.

Advertisement
Maybe overstepping, but he speaks for his client. Hard to believe Wong didn't approve this, especially with him testing the NBA waters just this week as well. Sounds like he didn't get the grade he wanted and now wants more money. And if his agent did indeed do something against Wong's wishes, he should fire him and say that's not how he ever felt and is coming back to Miami.
Look, Wong has had plenty of time to pull an Amarius Mims by calling all the websites to say "I didn't actually commit."

I agree the NIL agent is dumb, but I think that Wong was OK with this approach. Or maybe it's early in the morning and I've missed all the retractions?

Regardless of how we divvy up the blame for an idiotic strategy between Wong and the agent, I think rational negotiators will acknowledge that it was an idiotic strategy.
Earlier in this thread, I said Wong's only way out is a very public denunciation of his agent. I can absolutely see a case where he just went along because the agent said it was the best path. Whether the agent overstepped and Wong just went along or he authorized it before it went public, his silence is tacit endorsement.

Like I said, this is how you lose fans. I, for one, don't care what he does now.

Advertisement
Ruiz is doing exactly what he is supposed to do--Look out for his brands that these kids are representing and use them to drive up clicks and impressions. To those saying he should shut up and give us money: NO HE SHOULDNT. Ruiz is making this all about the money and brand, which is what it should be. He is NOT paying them to play, and is teaching wong a lesson by trying to make it seem so. There will be a crackdown on collectives IMO, and Ruiz has all his cards in the open and is making a clear-cut case of what the intentions of his actions are. The man is a billionaire lawyer. He can read a statute. He knows what he's doing.

Wrong.

"Reading a statute" and "reading a room" are two different things.

Advertisement
Back