Wong trying to pull up on Ruiz

Again, how do you agree to terms and sign a contract, then literally a few days later turn around and say I want more? Like, how does that work? No one, to my knowledge put a gun to Wong's head and said "sign it or else". If Wong wasn't happy with the terms, why sign the deal? It sounds to me Wong undervalued himself and didn't think he could get more. Probably the most money he's ever seen in one setting, so I can understand it coming from him. Who I don't understand for allowing it to happen are the adults advising him. My second issue is why go public with the "give me mine or else" approach? A lot more bad can come from it than good. From Ruiz to other potential NIL dealers, to teammates to the coaches to the fanbase, it's a lose-lose the minute he went public with the ultimatum. Listen, I'm sure Wong and/or his rep went to Ruiz and said we want to renegotiate. The minute Ruiz said no, Wong should've just taken a look at his options and made his decision (more NIL deals with other local company, portal, go pro, etc.). All this going public wreaks of greed. Hope it works out for him, but don't see how he returns next season unless his needs get met.

Advertisement
That's not the issue. It was done in a way that gave Ruiz no alternative except to not renegotiate. To publicly box someone in is not how negotiations are done. It's how ultimatums' are made. An alpha like Ruiz is not going to bend over as a result of an ultimatum from a 20 year old.

His agent should have known this. He's either a hack or a newbie.
Read the porst I was responding to. The guy said no one would sign wong for close to what we are paying him.

Some people are conflating ”a high number of teams will want Wong” (which is true) with “a high number of teams want Wong and will pay him meaningfully more than Life Wallet did” (which is not true).

This was a colossal mistake by his agent. His client is not draftable. He signed a contract and is now threatening to not only back out, but to transfer over it. While still declaring for the draft (which looks like a stunt designed to express frustration/get more money). Who is going to negotiate with him now? Why would you trust anything he signs, let alone says, so long as he’s tied to this representative? If he changes his mind he’s going to publicly threaten you.

This is almost Antonio Brown level theatrics, and it hurts Wong’s value far more than it hurts anyone else. He wasn’t draftable before, he most certainly isn’t now, and he’s unreliable as a transfer. This at a time when he now has to find find a new spot that pays him meaningfully more than LW did. (Which seems unlikely because LW currently seems to be resetting the market with their deals).

Just wild.

Advertisement
Uhh. Yes it does matter, because that is what was being discussed.
Whether Wong can get paid more by another team is just a sidebar discussion. The bigger question, what really matters, is the standard it sets and how things are going to work looking forward. Things are finally moving in the right direction; I would be careful about any pesky unintended consequences.

Whether Wong can get paid more by another team is just a sidebar discussion. The bigger question, what really matters, is the standard it sets and how things are going to work looking forward. Things are finally moving in the right direction; I would be careful about any pesky unintended consequences.
That is exactly what we were having, a side bar discussion.

Some people are conflating ”a high number of teams will want Wong” (which is true) with “a high number of teams want Wong and will pay him meaningfully more than Life Wallet did” (which is not true).

This was a colossal mistake by his agent. His client is not draftable. He signed a contract and is now threatening to not only back out, but to transfer over it. While still declaring for the draft (which looks like a stunt designed to express frustration/get more money). Who is going to negotiate with him now? Why would you trust anything he signs, let alone says, so long as he’s tied to this representative? If he changes his mind he’s going to publicly threaten you.

This is almost Antonio Brown level theatrics, and it hurts Wong’s value far more than it hurts anyone else. He wasn’t draftable before, he most certainly isn’t now, and he’s unreliable as a transfer. This at a time when he now has to find find a new spot that pays him meaningfully more than LW did. (Which seems unlikely because LW currently seems to be resetting the market with their deals).

Just wild.
The problem is, he cant transfer with this demand. That would imply pay-for-play and thats not backed by the NIL. The NCAA would probably suspend him if he does go to the Transfer Portal.

Advertisement
What a dumb thing to do publicly.

Put the school in an impossible spot. If they listen it's pay to play. You almost have to let him go now.

BTW, I didn't realize he turned into McGusty over night to be pulling demands like this.

Well we knew this was coming.

I don't blame Wong. With the points that he averaged and being the one returning starting piece from our first great 8 team ever he feels like he should be valued more. So for him to be getting 800% less than these other guys and 1000% less than the twins? No facking way.

I think Wong approached someone about renegotiating and they said no can do. As mentioned earlier, whoever represented Wong screwed him big time. I'd hate to lose Wong because with him as a part of this team we we're putting together, I felt like we could have made another Great 8 run or maybe more. I get it though. Wong may be able to beat $100k someplace else.

I also understand Ruiz standing pat on the deal agreed to. You don't want that precedence. It sucks for everyone because I don't think either party can back down. Maybe someone else jumps in and saves what is now a business deal.

Advertisement
Scumbag move by the agent, agree not disclosing terms going forward
Agent just wrote his death sentence with this one. Who is going to hire him when he doesn’t get Wong another penny of NIL and comes back hat in hand to play for a better Hurricanes team than he would have had otherwise. He should have been grateful that Ruiz put together a squad that can help elevate Wong’s game so that they can be visible and Wong could possibly get drafted. Instead, agent lets Wong go through with this and you know Ruiz isn’t going to budge at all. It would be better for Ruiz (and perhaps the U too) if Wong moves on so that there isn’t any question that he didn’t up his contract and keep it private. Floodgates opening would be a bad thing here. And the agent should have thought this through instead of working in what Wong likely told him that he wanted.

Wong move. This is the very definition of pay for play. Ruiz can’t do anything even if he wanted to.

He is not draftable and I doubt someone pays him more than lifewallet. Now that he’s made it public he wants a bigger deal, his new school would then be in violation of pay for play.

Advertisement
I mean, if I am Wong, aren't I ****ed at my NIL agent for getting me my original deal. Also, he couldn't get him any other NIL opportunities prior to this? Just another angle to analyze.

This is on the agent for sure and wong is just looking bad now. Poorly played by the kid and the agent

I think the question is what’s Wong’s current deal? Is it close to Jordan Millers 100k? Or is it closer to 200k. An elite G league player gets up to 125k, if Wong can finally truly break out at Miami and get drafted the league min is 925k. The spotlight is on Miami currently IDK transferring somewhere else is going to market him any better for an NBA team.

Advertisement
Back