Wong trying to pull up on Ruiz

Wong and his rep were given the opportunity to negotiate. They settled on what they thought was a good price. If he truly wanted to get a real sense of his value he should've entered the portal, visited schools and if his preference was to stay at Miami, bring back numbers and see what Ruiz would say. Instead he's looking at what a younger player who was all conference got and saying "hey, thats not fair, I was on a good team I want more".

The same guy who got Pack his deal represents Wong. Look at your guy and say "you screwed me" not "I need more or I'm leaving". This is a last ditch effort because Ruiz already told them no. And not a good effort. Ruiz has already publicly said he's not giving Wong more so that removes the place that would probably value him more than others off the board when it comes to playing one offer against the other.

Great post. I don’t know the agent but this looks like amateur hour ineptitude.

Advertisement
Wong isn’t good enough to be playing this game publicly.

L is a real well liked guy with enormous connections in the basketball world.

This was a very, very foolish move by Wong and his agent.
This is really all it boils down to right here. Plus, you’re basically trying to publicly blackmail Ruiz. In doing so you’re obviously going to force him to come out with a “we don’t negotiate with terrorists” type of quote.

Most people wouldn't run into the break room and scream "I'm outta here in 12 hrs unless this is rectified!!!".

There is ZERO reason or actual benefit for Papas to have gone public today. They could've communicated Wong's EXACT SAME intentions privately and it would've actually created MORE room for him to have possibly stayed here and been handed more cash. Now there's almost zero chance that happens AND Papas has created a "character issue" question for pro teams about a player that was at best borderline NBA draftable.
It depends on how easily replaceable you were. If you flipped fries at wendys then you would get fired and they would replace you with some guy off the street. If you were an elite worker at a hedge fund and were bringing in hundreds of millions a year, they would probably renegotiate with you.

Athletes are in the middle of those 2 scenarios. There are not enough elite level athletes that you can just say "fvck em, we will replace them with someone else".

I do agree that he shouldn't have went public with it as quickly as he did.

I don't think Ruiz or any other pro-miami NIL can offer Wong anything. The state of Florida NIL laws clearly state it cant be pay for play and it cant not be used to recruit a player to an institution.

Even though you're paying all these other transfers, there's plausible deniability and the agreements are signed after the commitments/enrollment.

With Wong doing this publicly, it's very clear that any additional NIL money for Wong while he's a hurricane is for him to stay.

In my opinion, Wong is gone no matter what. Be it NBA or Transfer Portal. No booster is touching this cat.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Wong and his rep were given the opportunity to negotiate. They settled on what they thought was a good price. If he truly wanted to get a real sense of his value he should've entered the portal, visited schools and if his preference was to stay at Miami, bring back numbers and see what Ruiz would say. Instead he's looking at what a younger player who was all conference got and saying "hey, thats not fair, I was on a good team I want more".

The same guy who got Pack his deal represents Wong. Look at your guy and say "you screwed me" not "I need more or I'm leaving". This is a last ditch effort because Ruiz already told them no. And not a good effort. Ruiz has already publicly said he's not giving Wong more so that removes the place that would probably value him more than others off the board when it comes to playing one offer against the other.
That is not true. A team that is one guard away from making a legit run at the finals, would find more value in Wong.

Let's let this play out before we go trashing Isaiah. You can't cheer for players to get the bag, then turn on them the instant it doesn't work out in UM's favor.
Amen to that.

Hope like **** it gets worked out and he stays, but if not best of luck to IW at his next stop.

Unless it's FSU or FSU, then it's ...

nolan north retro replay GIF

Advertisement
No. It wasn’t. @Tad Footeball explained it to you.

What you haven't learned yet is there’s almost always someone better out there.

And good leaders don’t tolerate the antics of toddlers. There might be a short term concession for continuity in some circumstances… but that’s it.
Yea there are plenty of people better than wong and they are getting paid tens of millions of dollars per year.

This is not the "antics of toddlers" you don't know schit about being a leader. People that are willing to take whatever their bosses deem as satisfactory are not "team players" they are clowns who will never make the money they deserve.

Let's let this play out before we go trashing Isaiah. You can't cheer for players to get the bag, then turn on them the instant it doesn't work out in UM's favor.
I’m glad they’re getting money but he signed a deal. I agree with Ruiz here. You’ve gotta let him walk or you set an unmanageable precedent. He’s free to walk and get a better deal elsewhere so it’s fair all over.

Advertisement
Yea there are plenty of people better than wong and they are getting paid tens of millions of dollars per year.

This is not the "antics of toddlers" you don't know schit about being a leader. People that are willing to take whatever their bosses deem as satisfactory are not "team players" they are clowns who will never make the money they deserve.
I met Ruiz at the Atlantic Aviation FBO at midway airport after the Kansas game. Really nice guy in person. His plane is bigger than mine.

I’m very comfortable with my leadership skills.

You might be a smart guy, but you’re not showing it here.

I met Ruiz at the Atlantic Aviation FBO at midway airport after the Kansas game. Really nice guy in person. His plane is bigger than mine.

I’m very comfortable with my leadership skills.

You might be a smart guy, but you’re not showing it here.
I am sure Ruiz is a great guy. I am a big fan of his. Ok, we just need to agree to disagree then.

Advertisement
I’m glad they’re getting money but he signed a deal. I agree with Ruiz here. You’ve gotta let him walk or you set an unmanageable precedent. He’s free to walk and get a better deal elsewhere so it’s fair all over.

I'm not saying Ruiz should up his offer. I think the most likely outcome by far is that Zay goes into the portal, doesn't find anything better than Ruiz' offer, and comes back.

But let's not pretend like he's a **** for doing this, or that he wasn't a great player for us this year, as some in this thread are suggesting.

So what were you trying to say with "any leverage he had evaporated when his agent went to the media"? That means you think he lost all negotiating ability, in other words, no other school would pay him even close to what Ruiz was offering.
That's not the issue. It was done in a way that gave Ruiz no alternative except to not renegotiate. To publicly box someone in is not how negotiations are done. It's how ultimatums' are made. An alpha like Ruiz is not going to bend over as a result of an ultimatum from a 20 year old.

His agent should have known this. He's either a hack or a newbie.

I'm not saying Ruiz should up his offer. I think the most likely outcome by far is that Zay goes into the portal, doesn't find anything better than Ruiz' offer, and comes back.

But let's not pretend like he's a **** for doing this, or that he wasn't a great player for us this year, as some in this thread are suggesting.
Wong was great at times, mediocre too often, overall it amounts to a pretty good player that is not in a position to be blackmailing billionaires that are already giving him 6 figures

Advertisement
Back