With stock on the rise, 2020 DB Slaughter lands UM offer

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
Up until this spring, 2020 Roswell (GA) safety Doneiko Slaughter had a quiet recruitment as a mostly unknown prospect with zero Power 5 offers and no national ranking. However, everything changed when Mississippi State offered Slaughter his first P5 scholarship in February, and since then, Slaughter has blown up: he now has 21 Division-I offers, with 9 coming within the past month.

"It motivates me a lot," Slaughter said. "Knowing that I was slept on motivated me to work even harder."

One of those new bids came from running back coach Eric Hickson and the Miami Hurricanes earlier this month.

“Coach Hickson called me and offered me on the phone, it was exciting,” Slaughter said. “He was telling me how Miami has had 4 safeties drafted recently and all about coach (Manny) Diaz.”

With his stock rising, many schools like Mississippi State, Arizona State, Maryland, and Minnesota have already gotten in on the 5-11 180 pound prospect and there are sure to be more offers to come in the near future. Position-wise, even though Hickson gave him the offer, the Canes see Slaughter’s future on defense.

“They like me at safety right now,” Slaughter said of Miami.

Growing up, Slaughter followed the Canes and knows the tradition of defensive backs that have come through Coral Gables.

“What has me interested is Miami’s tradition and how many greats come out of there,” he said.

Slaughter took his first official visit of the cycle to Tempe, Arizona last weekend to see Arizona State and is in the process of setting up other visits as well.

“I plan on visiting Miami soon.”

When it does come time to announce his commitment, though, Slaughter will be looking for a school that can help him get to the next level.

“I plan on deciding sometime in the summer,” Slaughter said. “What I am looking for in a school is good coaching and seeing if the school environment fits me.”

At the Opening Regional in Atlanta this March, Slaughter recorded a 4.65 40, a 4.4 shuttle time, and a 32.90 inch vertical. As a junior, he put up 64 tackles, 11 TFL, 8 sacks, and 2 INT’s in 2018.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Loved this kid's highlight tape! Elite quickness, plays fast and violent with a nose for the ball. What really struck me is the focus and intensity he plays with. Let's go get him.

Advertisement
OMG, Jerome was 6'1 203lbs coming out of highschool running a 4.5 forty and 4.09 shuttle. Not the same at all.
"throw 35lbs on him"....I never said they were the same in HS. I don't think it's unreasonable for him to gain 30-40 lbs over the next 3-4 years.

Advertisement
Is it me or has this board wanted to move every single safety we’re recruiting this class to a different position? We always get those posts, but feels like this year everyone thinks every safety prospect is a linebacker or corner or striker (which is pretty much a small linebacker). Safety is a tough position to evaluate but ****.

Is it me or has this board wanted to move every single safety we’re recruiting this class to a different position? We always get those posts, but feels like this year everyone thinks every safety prospect is a linebacker or corner or striker (which is pretty much a small linebacker). Safety is a tough position to evaluate but ****.

I was thinking something similar. It's especially odd when you consider how important the safety position (and especially the field side safety) is in this defense. We need some of these instinctual, sure tackling safeties to actually play safety, lol.

Advertisement
committed to Arizona State

FYI , one of Ivins or Lake, forget which...Said he was a clear step behind Williams, Balem, Tennison in terms of coverage and just overall movement at Paradise.

Kid is a nice hitter, could see him working out if used in the box.

Advertisement
Back