With OL issues I never see comments about....

How do we have so many recruits right now?
Who is the Jujuan Seider/Dell Mcgee on offense or the Corey Raymond on defense? Someone that other coaches fear being in a recruits living room? We don't have one. Anyone with eyes can look at the staff and see we need recruiters. No one on the entire staff is known for their recruiting prowess. Field will hold it down on offense but who is that guy on defense?

Advertisement
100% agreed. Even before he was at Miami he had trouble recruiting. Even at Texas which is a huge red flag, since they always get top talent in Texas. I think if Manny gets some elite recruiters on both sides of the ball we can really be on our way to being back.

It’s ridiculous to expect a top 5 class, without bags, coming off a 7-6 season. People also forget that Clem$on built themselves into a program that won 2 of the last three championships and played for 4 of the last 4 (in ‘17, they lost in first round of playoff to the eventual champ) without “elite” recruiting. Miami’s defense has recruited and developed players well enough over the past three years to go from a complete joke to nationally elite in a short period of time.

What are we complaining about, again?

I get the “show me” attitude, but this angle that we’re not putting talent on defense the past few years is silly. Yeah, we’ve lost a few recruits who obviously desired to both get paid and go to programs with demonstrated consistent winning. The only way to change that is by winning. A first time head coach of a 7-6 program can’t just go hire the top assistants from playoff contenders. You have to start somewhere. Only time will tell.

Bottom line, this 2019 class is not yet complete. Manny has put us in a good position to take advantage and put a lot of resources into landing some big names down the stretch should we have a good 10-11 win season. If that doesn’t happen, I don’t really even want to think about what happens next.

Jesuchristo, the closer we get the more ridiculous it gets.

You get exactly ZERO points for being the first person to say that Diaz sucks, so stop trying to be the first ones to claim the "I told you so" title.

Don't be a fan later.
- Sheldrick Redwine

Jesuchristo, the closer we get the more ridiculous it gets.

You get exactly ZERO points for being the first person to say that Diaz sucks, so stop trying to be the first ones to claim the "I told you so" title.

Don't be a fan later.
- Sheldrick Redwine
No one is saying Diaz sucks overall. Nothing wrong with having some nuance

Advertisement
9323393.jpg

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
It’s ridiculous to expect a top 5 class, without bags, coming off a 7-6 season. People also forget that Clem$on built themselves into a program that won 2 of the last three championships and played for 4 of the last 4 (in ‘17, they lost in first round of playoff to the eventual champ) without “elite” recruiting. Miami’s defense has recruited and developed players well enough over the past three years to go from a complete joke to nationally elite in a short period of time.

What are we complaining about, again?

I get the “show me” attitude, but this angle that we’re not putting talent on defense the past few years is silly. Yeah, we’ve lost a few recruits who obviously desired to both get paid and go to programs with demonstrated consistent winning. The only way to change that is by winning. A first time head coach of a 7-6 program can’t just go hire the top assistants from playoff contenders. You have to start somewhere. Only time will tell.

Bottom line, this 2019 class is not yet complete. Manny has put us in a good position to take advantage and put a lot of resources into landing some big names down the stretch should we have a good 10-11 win season. If that doesn’t happen, I don’t really even want to think about what happens next.

No one is expecting a top 5 class, but a class that isn't 75% 3 stars could be expected.

No one is expecting a top 5 class, but a class that isn't 75% 3 stars could be expected.

Fair enough. If that's your only complaint, I'd say it's a bit premature to be upset though. I, too, believe in the Blue Chip Ratio, and it raises an eyebrow to see a class that is not at least 40-50% 4/5*. That said, not all three stars are created equal.

Our class right now, per the class breakdown on this site breaks down thusly (as of 7/4):
21 players
5* - 1 (Don Chaney)
4* - 6
3* - 13

That does not include

So, it's just 33% blue chippers. Of those 3*, several are already listed as 4* on one of the sites.

I'm not complaining about Restrepo, short white receivers tend to get underrated, but we pretty much all want him in this class.

Romello Height is likely to get a 4th *.

Elijah Roberts is probably rated fairly, but he projects better at DT than he does at end.

So, yes, the ratio is not where we want to be right now, but I choose to look at it as the staff putting in work and accepting commitments from guys who they feel can be or project to be Miami caliber players, while still continuing to recruit every position and chase after the big fish all the way to the finish line. I think anyone that doesn't expect at least 3-5 decommitments from this current class, just hasn't been paying attention. At the end of the day, I'm hoping for 11-1 or 10-2, a good showing in the ACCCG, and we add some 7-8 commits to the class, with 75-80% being blue chippers, and probably drop a couple of the lower end guys on our board.

We've got to win, but the plan that I see this staff executing seems to me to be smart, aggressive, tireless, and confident in their own abilities to execute. You can't evaluate a class that won't be complete until December and February in July.

It’s weird, all offseason everyone wants pure recruiters. Once the season starts, everyone wants technicians.

Rinse and repeat.

Not me, man. I'll take the technicians. Give me a coaching staff that can evaluate talent, coach em up on the fundamentals, and then give them a game plan to execute that gives them a chance to win, and in a few years they'll all look like great recruiters.

Advertisement
Back